Notices

Hello everyone. I am new here )

Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
I'll get into it with your interpretation of AA meetings, too. AA is not, and I repeat not, a "church thing" nor is it a religious thing. It is, however, a spititual thing in that we believe in a higher power than ourselves. And as you're such a free thinker and a spiritual person, what's the problem? Spirituality is merely an individual's personal relationship with his or her higher power. Don't get yourself so wrapped around the axle about this point that you completely miss the whole point of the AA program. It seems as if you're looking for any excuse not to try it. If this other group is helping you, then that's great! AA doesn't work for everyone. But you should thoroughly understand the program and not just "skim the book" before you condemn it. And I can sympathize with your problem with the first marraige counselor. I had a similar one.
It appears that more than more and more dislike the term "church thing" and I am not understanding it. I wish not to get into a religious argument, as that is not why I am here. Two people I spoke to at separate AA meetings, when asked what type of questions they ask if I were to call them with an urge, or craving, or in need of help both responded with (paraphrased) "have you prayed today" and for me....again...for me... that's not what I need, and that is not going to help me due to various factors (again, not wanting to get into a religious discussion here) and so that is why for me...SoS is a much better fit, and is working quite well thus far! The people at SoS are just as kind, and understanding, and rather fantastic as those I met in AA, and those I have met here thus far. I at no point used that angle as a reason to discontinue to try, and in fact within 2 days of the last AA meeting I was in I was sitting in an SoS meeting. I understand the basis of the program and it is an extremely effective one. I have been following the 12 steps under the SoS verbage, and am now on Day 5!

With that said, I retract any mention of the term "church thing" and will instead use the "spiritual aspect" as you don't need to go to church to be spiritual. you don't need to go to church to believe in a higher power, and I understand, and respect that fact.

The marriage counselor we have now is great, and is really diving into my marriage...and it is really giving me a lot of food for thought thus far... unfortunately it is not all good food for thought, but it is necessary we figure things out if we are to continue on.

-pathed
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Path,

I think that's great that you are finding a program that works for you. As I've posted on this thread, I'm a big AA guy who wanted nothing to do with a spiritual solution when I first got involved. But I found it worked.

However, I'm also pleased that you are finding something that works for you, and wish you the best of luck with it. Jump in with both feet and really, really work it to the best of your ability. Please keep us posted on your progress, because despite being an AA guy, I'd be overjoyed at seeing another suffering alcoholic recover by any means.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Path glad to hear SOS is doing the job for you, the real secret to any program, AA, SOS, WFS, etc. is working ALL of the program, I have found that no matter what, if I am working on anything halfway, I get half results and when it comes to alcoholism I really feel it is an all or nothing type of deal. I am either sober or I am drunk, there is no inbetween for me.

Marriage counseling is pretty much the same type of deal, I got out of it what I put into it.