Notices

3 days into Sub. and concern over doseage

Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days into Sub. and concern over doseage

Hi and thanks so much in advance for any help. I really appreciate this forum and all of the obvious support, compassion and information.
I am on my third day of using Suboxone for opiate addiction (prescription pain med.'s). I really love the clinic I found, although they don't accept insurance, which I have, so that's frustrating and already causing me stress as to the ultimate cost. For now, I realize I'm saving money by not purchasing pain pills. I'm also concerned about everything I've been reading as far as the withdrawal process related to this medication. But again, for now my main concern is the dose I've been prescribed, as I wonder if it's not too high compared to what I've read other patients start out with. At the end of my initial consultation, the physician was getting busy, so I had to ask for the instructions to be written down for me (i.e., 1 1/2 first day, 2 second day, 3 3rd-7th day). The pharmacist pulled me aside and expressed concern over the 'high dose' and the way it had been called in to her. The bottle reads, '8mg.-2mg.', which I don't understand. I presume I'm taking 8 mg. tablets, but don't know what the '2mg.' means. As this is my 3rd day, I'm supposed to take 3 and have been doing so by doing the 1/2 tablet approximately every hour. Does anyone think 24 mg. in a day is too much?? I haven't read where anyone else begins at that dose.
For background info., I've been addicted to Percocet, Vicodin and an occasional Oxycontin for about 25 yrs., give or take a few months 'clean' over the years. The last couple of years I've also been taking Valium, usually 5 mg. 3xdaily (prescribed). And, alcoholism has snuck up on me, as I was using that to compound the effects of the pills.
I hope I've provided enough information and am really grateful for any feedback. OH, the Suboxone has caused a pretty uncomfortable ongoing headache and aside from that, I don't really feel much different aside from just feeling like I can't go in public and/or interact with anyone; I guess I feel somewhat "spacey" for lack of a better word.
Ok, thanks so much!

Last edited by heyheyU; 04-19-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Am thinking I posted this in the wrong forum
Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

We cannot give any kind of medical advice.

If you have questions, you really need to talk to your dr.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, should I have posted this in the Suboxone thread? Still finding my way around here.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

We cannot give any kind of medical advice.

If you have questions, you really need to talk to your dr.

You will find lots of support here.
I apologize; I was trying to ask for medical advice, just feedback from others about their doses. Just delete the post.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi HeyHey, I have not personally had experience with Sub clinics but from the research Ive done on it this does sound a little odd. I hope you get the answers you need and soon. Im 7 days off of Lortabs and I cold turked them. It was and still is very hard. I was taking at least 12-10mg a day. I thought the withdrawls were going to kill me but after about 4 days they were gone. Now Im having alot of the mental and emotional withdrawls witch are really hard too but this website has helped me more than I could have imagined. I was scared to go to a Sub clinic because I had a friend that went to one for pain pills then had to go to a 90 rehab for the Sub and is still bouncing back and forth with it. I hope you have better sucess with it. Good luck and keep your head up.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Grace33, I so appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. I really wasn't asking for medical advice, just the kind of info. such as what you mentioned. I can't thank you enough.
I really admire you for going cold turkey and still hanging in there! I tried that many times in the past but couldn't get through the withdrawals, but YOU did and should be so proud of yourself! I don't know if this will help or not, but years ago I went into a 6 day detox. facility and when I got out the addictionologist prescribed Naltrexone for me. It worked wonders; I had no desire to take a pain pill and it blocked the effects if I had taken one. It was inexpensive and from my understanding is relatively safe (comparably speaking). That's what I wish I was on right now, but all opiates have to be out of the body and that's the part I can't go through.
I will say some prayers for you. I know the withdrawals are just a part of recovery, but you sure got through a terrible phase. You have spunk! If I can help in any way, please p.m. me or let me know. I really will be thinking of you and am so glad you're finding such good support. Keep up the great work and thanks again for your help.