Notices

Thearpists

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Thearpists

I got some information from my cousin about some free thearpy deal. Just wondering if anyone has ever used one and if it was helpful?

Also called and got some information on a free detox center but found out it's downtown on the right side of the wrong side of the tracks and they keep you locked up....i'm passing on that and will just do it the old fashion way.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Therapy can help in many ways. BUt, it is not a magical cure for alcoholism, nothing is, the willingness needs to come from within us.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

If I could get good quality, FREE therapy, I'd go. Just to have someone to talk to about stuff..
Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Yeah it's free and wouldn't hurt to check it out. Just be nice to have someone to unload on instead of keeping everything bottled on the inside all the time. This site is useful but sometimes you just can't replace a face to face meeting. And maybe I'll lift my ban on AA and try to go to a meeting. If I start feeling a little better I might hit one tonight.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I use a therapist, and I have found it very helpful, most particularly at first. We really don't talk much about drinking now..as that was a mere symptom of what I was really dealing with. It's very helpful to be able to just say outloud what you're feeling, I think.

He didn't help me quit drinking, I did that before I went.. but it's another person out there to be accountable to, if anything else.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

ive been to multiple therapists with mixed results. Its all about finding a person you feel comfortable with. It took me a few different tries before I found somebody who was helpful to me. (make sure they have a speciality in addiciton // substance abuse) But remember, its not on them to make you better, you have to do most if not all the work in the therapists office. Must get honest and open with the person and actually allow them to help you.

1 thing on the free detox center..if you think you might need it GO. it doesnt matter where the place is located, it will help aid you in the uncomfortable detox period. As far as them locking you down, that is standard of any detox facility, even the ones you pay 10,000$ to go into, they still keep you on lockdown during your stay ther. It really does make the journey into recovery a bit easier. Mine as well take advantage of every tool you can right??

Best of luck to ya bro ~~ scott