Notices

newcomer needing help

Old 04-16-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer needing help

hiya my name is steph and i am a newcomer who is needing help. i have been sober now for nearly one month but i am seriously struggling. i have recently had some bad news about a family member and i am struggling coping with it without reverting to alcohol. where i live there are no local meetings so this is the only contact i have with other alcoholics. if anyone can help me or give some some support i would really appreciate it.:

c021:
Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Spiritual and welcome.
I am getting all of my help from the folks here at SR and it is working for me so far.
I have a list of the things that are good about drinking and the things that are bad and when I get an urge to drink I review the lists and this always makes me say no to the drink.
By keeping the decision in the thinking part of my brain it isn't that difficult to choose abstinence over chaos.
I hope that helps and good luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Good for you have one month sober!

It's hard in early sobriety, to learn how to deal with things that happen in life. But, you can do it.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you guys for all you support i do apprecitate it. i just realised i under estimated my sober time. my sober time birthday is 26/03/09 so i am actually nearly 2 months how cool is that yeah!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Steph, I like your username, getting spiritual is what has kept me sober thus far.

As a fellow alcoholic I can understand the urge to drink when things go wrong.... or even when they go right. Alcohol used to be my solution for every thing, I have found a new solution for life today and it is not the escapism of alcohol, the solution is for me getting myself sober, clearing up the wreckage of my past and change. This allows me to be of maximum benefit to others.

Steph you know as well as I do that a drink is not going to solve a thing, if any thing it will make things worse. You have an opportunity here to stay sober and be of service to your family. I have found getting out of myself by helping and being there for others to be one of the best ways to stay sober, I am of no use to any one or myself if I am drinking, if anything I become a burden on others or an embarrasement.

Pray, pray for the knowledge to know what the next right thing is you can do to help your family at this time, then pray for the strength and knowledge to carry that out. I have found that in helping others I am actually helping myself as well without even knowing it at the time.

Want to feel good? Do good for others.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read your other post first and am prayng for you to stay strong through this. You know a drink won't help...but sometimes it's hard to remember that.

xx
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Spiritual. Welcome. My mom became very ill 2 1/2 months into my sobriety and passed away 2 months later. I didn't know if I could handle it all w/o drinking and my family didn't think I could either. However, in a strange way my mom's passing strenghthened my resolve to be sober. Although I had missed out on so much of my mom's life by being a drunk I now honor her by being sober. Difficulties will come up all through life and a drink or drugs will never help they will only make the situation worse.

Judy
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Spiritual!

I am new here too and am finding the people here to be absolutely amazing. Keep coming back. You will find tons of support here!