Notices

Tried a meeting

Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Tried a meeting

Today I got the courage to take in an afternoon meeting. It was a ladies group. I had been to a few meetings a couple years ago. They were very large groups and I found it VERY intimidating. I felt that way today (initially) too, however as the meeting progressed I found that I could relate SO much to these ladies. It was very emotional for me as I listened to everyone share their stories. They were all so understanding and supportive of me when I passed on sharing and just took it all in. When asked if I wanted to share, I just couldn't. I am not normally someone who displays any kind of emotion like crying in public. I ended up just breaking down and sobbing. I was so embarrassed at my lack of control. I don't do well speaking in front of people to begin with and I really don't know where to start. I am hoping that it will eventually become more comfortable for me. I feel like a fish out of water. But, I think I will go back. It was definately a positive experience for the most part. Hopefully next time I will be able to keep it together enough to contribute more.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thats just great acer........sounds like a great group.

Its ok to get emotional........i do on occasions...talking about my mother or the shear horror of the past.

Its also ok not to share......share when you feel comfortable.

Listening is just fine..

Soak it up and good for you........trucker
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You broke down in a safe environment. Im sure that the women you found you could relate to could easily relate to your stories as well. You should feel good that you broke down and cried. It means that its not bottled up anymore.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mergirl

I have cried so these last 3+ months, but I figure it means I am really on to something. I think it was very brave of you to go to the meeting, and it is a really big step in helping yourself get well!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I feel like a fish out of water. But, I think I will go back. It was definately a positive experience for the most part. Hopefully next time I will be able to keep it together enough to contribute more."

On my way to bed, but had to stop and say you are most definitely NOT a fish out of water. You reacted very normally AND I don't know many people around here that like to speak in public. I have a problem speaking with a group of friends if its a large group. Always been very shy. You are in the majority.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you are going again....Congratulations....

At my AA home group...we keep a box of tissues
on every table. Crying is healthy....
Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When I first began my recovery I was afraid of everything, intimidated by everything.

That includes meetings... I was scared, intimidated.

I kept going back and I'm glad I did.

I hope you do too!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acer,

I am glad that you are finding support for your recovery.

And, be patient with yourself and things will happen as they should.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Acer

It sounds like a wonderful Women's group. That's great you are going back. I was told that my crying is good and will heal my soul.
Donna
Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Acer thank you, here I sit a bearded red neck looking 55 year old vet with a tear in my eye! The main reason is because I can so relate to those overwhelming emotions in early sobriety. Crying I have found is healthy and a darn good way to get it out!!!!

I have seen men and women cry in meetings, newcomers and old timers!

Hon feel no shame at all for crying, crying I feel helps to cleanse the soul, I can assure you that almost every one of those ladies have cried in a meeting and I can assure you that you will see others cry.

One of the absolute best things about meetings is for me they are a safe spot, they are a place where I can share a problem with out feeling I am being judged, but instead I am being understood and there will be at least one other person there who has had the same thing happen who will share with me what they did to get through the issue. Many times I have had people come up to me after a meeting offering to help in what ever way they can.

AA is like a life boat, we are all in it together and it serves us all well to help each other, because if the boat springs a leak we as a team can keep it bailed out, alone we may not be able to bail quick enough and the boat will sink.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

That group sounds great. My recovery began when the tears started to flow and I didn't push them back down. I had to feel my feelings. I was numb for so long. I welcome tears today, it means I'm in touch!! A.A is such a great place, I hope you go back too.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm soooo glad you went to a women's group. I feel that women can open up in a complete different way when there are no men around. Not to say that co-ed meetings aren't great, thay are great too. And you will get to the point eventually where you will be comfortable enough to share, even if its only a little bit.

Keep going to meetings, I don't know a single person who says meetings didn't help them in some way or another. Just being with a room of other addicts that we can relate to in so many ways is an uplifting experience.

WAY TO GO!