Notices

Here I go

Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"playing out the tape"

Good for you, man...

Hey, even if AA isn't something your open to, get the "Big Book". Actually the formal title is "Alcoholics Anonymous"... Barnes and Noble, Borders, wherever... read it with an open mind... I think you'll be surprised.

Of course, you can get the Big Book for a lot less $$ at a meeting

Mark
Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Speaking of the Big Book, it's rather startling how life changes. I used to be a trial attorney practicing criminal defense, and almost all of my clients battled a type of addiction. I always referred alcoholic clients to the Big Book. After several years, I myself started drinking, and now I need the Big Book. Scary.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Have you read it? Start out at the very beginning with the docotors opinion, quite eye opening.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The rehab I was at... Doctors, Surgeons, Lawyers, Policeman, Fireman, Sanitation, Store Clerks,... this is an equal opportunity disease.... thankfully the "cure" is too!!!

Mark
Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Great for you having 3 full days under your belt and working on this thing.. I am one of those who uses SR and lots of writings from different programs (AA, LifeRing, Smart Recovery).. SR is the only "meeting" I attend but I do it daily! Reading through SR experiences has saved me many times - there is always something here and wonderful support.

My personal feeling is that whether you choose a support program like AA or some other path, that everyone needs something like a "program" - a system of support - that is there to get sober and stay sober. For me it has been SR, recovery reading, two specific friends who know my story, and my journal.. If I stay really on board with all these elements the sobriety happens..

Sounds like you have launched a great new chapter and great to have you here!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Relief,

Congrats on your decision to have a new, sober life. I needed a plan to stay sober. I use a combination of Rational Recovery and AA. You can get the Big Book and the Rational Recovery book at most libraries.

Of course, SR has really helped me too. Early recovery has its ups and downs. Don't get discouraged! Drinking dreams are common in early recovery and can be most unsettling.

Come here and post when you get the urges. You'll find lots of good advice and support here!

Love,

Lenina