Notices

Remeron

Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remeron

Does anyone have any experience with remeron? I got it proscribed to me for sleep and anti-depressant.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I took it a few years ago when I was trying to quit. My doctor prescribed it for sleeplessness & anxiety. As I remember, it was quite mild - but definitely did the job for me at that time. I was very calm & slept well without being lethargic. Hope it works well for you, JerryBear.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take Remeron, 22.5 mg daily. It does help me sleep and has helped my depression (I also take Cymbalta). One of the side effects can be an increased appetite, which in my case was a plus. I am tall and slender anyway, and had dropped 20 pounds when I became severely depressed in late 2007.

I've put the weight back on and then some, so it's time to get my carcass out on daily walks again.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband takes it, I'm pretty sure, twice a day and has for years. I think it's an older drug but it works really good on his anxiety.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Remeron is the only antidepressant that truly helps me. I've taken it on several occasions, and I'm on it right now. I trust this drug because it consistently pulls me out of the horrible abyss of emotional numbness that seems to invade me every other year - no amount of therapy, spirituality or other non-drug approaches help when I'm in this state.

The most common side effects are increased appetite and sedation, though of course YMMV. I usually experience *extreme* daytime sedation that clears up within a few days, though I can easily sleep for 10-12 hours if I don't set my alarm clock. Most of the negative accounts I've heard come from people who weren't properly warned about this side effect, and gave up after one dose.

This drug may also help during alcohol and opiod withdrawal:

Mirtazapine improves alcohol detoxification. [J Psychopharmacol. 2004] - PubMed Result

Mirtazapine, a noradrenergic and specific serotone...[Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2008] - PubMed Result

Good luck
Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I should add that, in my experience, solely relying on meds doesn't work. My depressive episodes bring my life to a complete halt and, though Remeron does jumpstart me, it still takes quite a bit of effort to get back on track. I'm working hard to make changes in my life and attitude that will hopefully enable me to stop taking drugs once and for all //I apologize for the hijack-rant