Notices

how much is too much?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how much is too much?

i've been drinking fairly heavy for a while, probly 5 days a week for the first five years, almost every day for 3 years, and now i'm back down to 4 or so days a week. the problem is that i've always drank kinda heavy. after about three years i was drinking about 3/5 of a bottle of booze. (mostly tequila). anyway... i'm really trying to quit now because i have a family and my kid is getting older, and i don't want him to have that image of me for life. i got laid off from my job recently, so that makes it harder. it's easier to quit when you're busy. long story short, i'm pretty sure it's now or never. i drink a whole bottle on the days i drink now. sometimes if it's a long time.. like 6+ hours, i'll even throw in 4 or 5 beers. i'm pretty sure this is gonna kill me. i've gotten some wierd pains in my upper chest area lately.anyway.... i thought everyone drank like that, but i started reading up on it and turns out, i drink alot more than usual. problem is, i drink at home, i don't go out and do anything stupid. it just doesn't cause that many problems. that's why it's so easy to keep drinking. oh well.. i registered and i'm gonna read alot of threads and hopefully this is the first step towards quitting. i've got the wanting to part down.... one foot in front of the other, i guess. thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is a great start. Keep posting, you are not alone.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's great that you have decided you have a problem and need to stop drinking. It would be a good idea to talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.

I'm sorry you have been laid off from your job, but the truth is, there is never a really good time to stop drinking. I hope you will take a look around and keep reading and posting.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR brendn
Old 04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Please keep reading and posting.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Welcome! In answer to your question - how much is too much - there is no real answer. People often ask this question and i guess because it varies for everyone, the best answer is 'when it interferes with your day to day life, your relationships, and your ability to function'. Of course that is different for different people. So all in all, welcome and good luck!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I applaud you for taking the first step. This first step proved to be the hardest for me, the whole reaching out thing. But the only other thing i suggest with all of my heart are AA meetings, and 12 steps. Meetings can save your life. Get some people's phone numbers and call them when you're feeling like drinking. I know all too well that all of this is easier said than done. but what do we have to lose anymore, right.

I wish you all the best on your journey to getting sober. I'm also new to SoberRecovery and I'm so glad theres a place online for people like us. Take care of yourself and be careful detoxing.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - this place is a GREAT resource for getting your life back.

One of my biggest reasons for being here is my son - he is 6 now and I want live to see him grow up, and be the best dad I can be. I realized this would not be possible if I kept drinking.

Keep hanging out here!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are here with us
....Welcome to our recovery community

How much is too much?

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Sorry to know about your job situation ...
Because of the economic situation here
I've noticed a lot of newcomers to AA.

Meetings are a good place to learn how to
live sober I also found a job via AA members
when I re located to a different state...

Blessings to you and your family
Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome and keep coming back!!

If you have a drinking problem, maybe you should go to a few AA meetings and find out what you can do about it.