Notices

It's time for me to stop drinking.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I drank for 30 years when I quit almost 10 months ago. My husband continued to drink. Lo and behold about 3 months ago he quit....without one word from me....well, okay maybe one.

Do what you need to do for YOU. Everything else will fall into place, or not...but the most important thing is YOU need to be sober. You do.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sounds good to me!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome PaleMale! (are you as well known in NYC as your namesake? I followed that story!)

You've made a good decision and found a great place for support and understanding. I get lots of help from this family and love them dearly. Check out the many forums, even a good joke forum for some comic relief.

Glad you found us. YOu CAN stay sober one day at a time!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
mergirl

I was the wife who resented the fact that my husband was an ugly drunk. I always knew HE had to quit, but I wouldn't have dreamed of quitting to support him after all of the crud he put me through drunk.

He and I are separated now (sort of).

One night my drinking ended horribly, and I quit for me. A week past, he saw I was serious, and he hasn't had a drink since. . .

Focus on yourself, get sober, and lots of wonderful things are possible
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey there PaleMale. I don't have a wife but my mother is a heavy drinker so it's always around me. Part of my own issues with the substance is that it's readily available all the time. It's tough, but we're in the same boat a bit. I just started here so I don't have much else to say besides good luck! We're all in this together!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey there palemale

I also live in a household that have not stopped drinking despite my problems. The fact that they cant or are unwilling to proves that alcohol is playing a part in their lives that is unhealthy. However, you cant get angry at them for this. You can only carry on with what you are doing.

Its amazing how the clarity of sobriety changes the way that you view people that are drinking. You start to realise how much better it is to know what you are saying and doing. This realisation is particuarly strong when you are sober adn others are intoxicated.

Hang in there. If it is too much that there is alcohol available then you might want to try antabuse for a while to act as another barrier towards drinking.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks again all.

So far so good. Wife surprised me and she's sipping tea in the other room while I finish our taxes (if taxes don't drive you drink!)

Some minor pink elephants again, but that's just my head clearing and my brain wondering why it's not under assault.

Each day will bring on more momentum. Hopefully we both can kick it together.

My mother on the other hand will be rough. When I quit smoking she would blow smoke in my face and offer me cigarettes. Jee, thanks Mom. Man, cigs were hard to kick. The booze cravings will hit me harder as more time goes by.

I think I'm up for this. I'll start running in the AM soon too.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

sounds just like my life, but it is my hubby that won't stop drinking. I have not had a drink for 5days (tomorrow). I was just like you it was killing me and needed to stop. my hubby has still had a few drinks, but not like it was 5days ago. I FEEL GREAT no HANGOVERS AND A CLEAR HEAD.

this is a great spot to be read and post it helps alot and everyone is great

fight to win
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome and keep coming back!!

If you have a drinking problem, maybe you should go to a few AA meetings and find out what you can do about it.