Notices

Leading by Example

Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Leading by Example

I've had an interesting weekend, to say the least. And as it was happening, I'm thinking to myself that I had to share it with my SR family.

It was a weekend of non stop drinking....thankfully not by me....but I would say 8 out of 10 people I was with this weekend was drunk 75% of the time. They started at 10am and went until 3 a.m. They embarrased themselves. They did and said Really stupid stuff....and they thought they were brilliant. They staggered and slurred. I felt bad for them.

I used to do that. It used to be me with my head in my hands. I was a 30 year drinker.

I guess I'm posting this because I'm almost 10 months sober, and I feel Freaking Great! I didn't want to drink once this weekend, not once. In fact, I kept telling myself, if my sobriety affects one other person that they too can get sober, then I'd call it good.

Newbies....you CAN do this! You can. It's almost like being reborn....yeah, you still get headaches and feel like crap sometime, but you always remember Why you feel like crap.

So that's it.....sobriety is about 1,000 times better than I thought it could be, and it just keeps getting better.

Anyone else feel this way?!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

coffeenut: yep.. i hear ya.. that was me too!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

I do, and I love it!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

absolutely coffeenut
keep on trudging the road of happy destiny my friend
Old 04-13-2009, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah,a good story. 10 months is a great effort and an example I will follow.
I think that many now are starting to see the bigger picture,a healthy
life style is absolutley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wonderful.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing......
Congratulations on your progress

My life without alcohol?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

10 months, that is awesome! I have been around some drunks and some drinking since I got sober, not for the time period you are talking about though.

Leading by example, so very true.... my son is an alcoholic, when he was getting pretty bad his wife called me! Me the old drunk, the one that was an embarrasement to all around me..... why because I had been sober for some time and had changed. I told her at that time that there was no need me talking to himi, that he would have to want this for himself, not because his dad or his wife told him.

Well thank God when my son hit his bottom he did call the old man..... he has been sober over a year now.

My setting an example gave my son some one to go to when he needed help with his problem from some one who had been there and done that.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to Taz. I had one of my drinking buddies call me up a couple of months ago because they were helping a friend who was bad, needed to detox and wanted help. They called me to ask what to do. They thanked me and I felt great!!!!

It were the people that got sober before me that helped me stay focused because if they could do it, well so could I. Early sobriety is so hard and it's good to see others that have been there done that doing well. It made me want to keep on keeping on!!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great thread, Coffeenut!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Taz, your reply nailed the reason I posted this.

I want to be the role model I SHOULD have been when my family was small. You let me know there is still hope, that I didn't screw everything up.

Also...I think it's so important for our young people to know that the drinking they do now, doesn't just affect them.

Thanks, EVERYONE!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

coffeenut, it took me quite a while to get through the shame and guilt I felt over the hell I put my kids through, taking the steps, especially step 9 allowed me to see that my children really did forgive me for the hell I put them through, all they asked of me was to stay sober, that was all the amends they needed. If my HP & those I had harmed forgave me I was left with no choice but to forgive myself.

The forgiveness was part of what allowed me to stay sober and to grow there by giving me the ability to help others, even my own family.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is exactly what I needed to read today.

Love from a newbie,
Jayne
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I was such a good hider of my drinking, my kids truly didn't think I had a problem. They still don't. But of course that did affect them in ways that now I see.

I'm still smiling about your son....and hoping that can spill over to my family.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi Jayne! Welcome to SR.

I am serious when I say, being sober IS easier than being drunk. It is. Yes, it takes time and commitment to feel this way, but you CAN do it.

Sometimes I just get goose bumps at how good I finally feel.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post

I am serious when I say, being sober IS easier than being drunk. It is. Yes, it takes time and commitment to feel this way, but you CAN do it.
Just thought that was worth saying again Coffeenut.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

So very true!!!! The issue was finding a solution that would allow me to stay sober long enough to realize that!