Notices

2 times i wanted to drink today but didnt

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is hard. But I knew it would be hard. The first time i wanted a drink today was when my boyfriend said he couldnt come see me this afternoon as he was too hungover after being at the stag do last night, so i was disappointed and straight away i wanted to pour a glass of wine but i didnt. I cant pour a glass of wine, i have to finish the bottle. The second time was when my sister asked me to go with her to the local pub to the beer garden for a few drinks and i thought i would go and just drink sodas then decided it would be better if i didnt go at all and im on here instead.
Also today is first Easter Sunday i can remember where i havnt been hungover. And my sister arrived home this morning at 1pm still drunk from last night, lost her wallet, phone, coat, passport and was minus her tights and shoes!! my other sister rang to say she has been vomiting all day after being out till 5am this morning. 3 people I love, all hungover and not being able to be "here" today coz of being out last night.
Makes me glad im not hungover, makes me sad that i usually would be the same as them, makes me proud i spent the day instead with mum and neice and son having lovely meal and great chat.
still hard though.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thankyou for sharing keenan. I feel for your family and it's great to hear you are challenging your addiction. I am not drinking today, tho I did drink yesterday unfortunately. It's 8 pm and having had no alcohol I feel pretty good and positive about things.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keenan,

You're doing great!

Recovery is full of changes to your life, and I'm glad you're well.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always feel great when i wake in the morning knowing i hadnt drank the night before and when i wake hungover apart from feeling physically awful i feel so bad that the drink was stronger than me again. Its hard when you hit a situation like today when my b/f couldnt call that instead of reaching for a drink which would make me feel instantly better I had to "sit" with feeling disappointed, sad, upset, hurt, angry. But it passed, mum came round, we had dinner and chatted and now i dont feel so annoyed and im also still sober. if id had that drink at 1pm, id be drunk by now and probably head to bed early without clearing up after dinner. id wake in the morning, feeling hungover, guilty for drinking, annoyed at waking to messy house and probably would have drunk text b/f and be so regretting it. so sober today so far is better. thanks for the reply

Last edited by keenan; 04-12-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great that you didn't give in. The cravings do pass but they're hell when they're "on you". What support have you got apart from SR?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no support as nobody knows ive even given up drinking. my excuse so far is that im trying to lose weight for a wedding. here is my support.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done keenan for not giving in to the temptation. i too felt like a drink today and also managed to stay away and now im feeling pretty good about my decision. Just gotta do the same thing everyday and I should be fine
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks maggot. good for you too!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are still sober....
Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good for you!
I have been sober 11 months and it just gets better every day!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah,when you're full time sober you're probably going to lose some friends,
because pubs & clubs are not so attractive anymore.But,the good,real
friends will stick by you as will this SR team,that's a promise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job keenan, I found one needs to want to stay sober for them selfs in order to succeed at it and it sounds like that is what you are doing. Remain firm, be willing to seek further support if needed. There is no reason to do this alone, SR is a tremendous aide, if you feel you need more there are recovery programs out there as well, there is no shame in using a program of some sort, I use AA, but there are others as well. If you find your self really struggling check some of them out.

BTW if you let others know you have quit, it becomes easier because folks quit asking you to go out drinking with them. If they are real freinds they will ask you to do other things with them.