Notices

19 days in and struggling

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

19 days in and struggling

Longest I've gone without booze since I started drinking and this is the first time I've actually tried to quit it. The first week was relatively easy because the resolve was fresh in my mind, but the last few days espcially have been really hard. I think about it constantly. Even if I feel a moment of happiness automatically that thought pops up "but what am I missing? booze." Things have been going rough in many other areas in my life too, and I'm having a hard time not turning back to alcohol for temporary comfort like I've always done..
Old 04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rubbersoul,

Welcome! Good for you on your 19 days sober!

I think it was hardest in early recovery because I didn't know how to deal with life without somehow, numbing my feelings. I had to learn how to live life on life's terms. What other changes have you made in your life, besides stopping drinking? I found that exercise helped me a lot. Hang in there and keep posting.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Rubbersoul.
It is good to see a fellow Ontarionan. I am from Toronto.
The first few weeks are the toughest and this is the time you have to take control of your addictive voice that is telling you that drinking will help.
Logically you know it won't.
Try to focus on something else. Read. Exercise. Just something else.
It will get easier if you don't let that voice boss you around.
Good luck and congrats on 19 days. The first weeks are the hardest.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mergirl

Why did you quit in the first place? If I ever miss booze, all's I have to do is remember the last night I drank to keep my resolve.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, 19 days sober,not bad for a 1st timer! Cravings like
quitting smoking,alcohol,drugs:are normal,so stay with this SR site and you will read some great anticraving and emotional suggestions from people who
understand and don't make judgment,only care.lol............
Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

19 days is awesome! Hang in there, you are doing great!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody for your replies.

I've been very upset tonight and it helps to have people say encouraging things when I don't have anyone around to do so right now.
Phaleron, I got your hello message when I first signed up but it wouldn't let me reply with only 3 posts so I'll say hello here
Hey Fubarcdn, I live close to Toronto (originally from Nova Scotia)

I started exercising about a year ago, and it does help a lot with depression. I was exercising and eating healthy (I still am) then late at night when I was alone I would drink until the early morning... it was the thing I looked forward to doing. Definitely pretty obvious counterproductive behaviour there, but I've been aware of my drinking problem for a couple years now at least. Been putting it off to quit for a while and I can hear the nasty little deprived booze part of my head asking me how don't I wish I had waited a while longer to quit. Anyway, I liked being able to talk about it for once (and my next therapy session isn't until the end of the month)
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 19 days man, just hang in there, tell that annoying addictive voice to keep quite so you can start living life again. You're doing great
Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Feel sad? Drown your sorrows. Feel happy? Lets celebrate! LOL

It gets us coming and going!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi , Rubbersoul ,
19 days sober , clean . Well done ,mate .
Have you tried AA meetings face to face in your area ?
SR forum and the people here are the best I've ever met .
Enjoy it .
Keep it up , witt
Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rubbersoul,

Early sobriety can be very challenging for most of us...It really gets easier in time...As long as you got the will, and the tools necessary, such as a support system, good healthy routines such as healthy eating and exercise, and other tools, you can do this...

I know you can...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad to see you are fighting your beast off Rubber.
I am just now reading a book called Rational Recovery which is about controlling our addictive voices. It is an interesting read, which is a lot for me to say as I have only read a handful of books in my whole life.
When I was in school I did all my book reports from movies and classic comics with some interesting and amusing results.
Keep at it. There is plenty of support around here so if things get a bit tough just post and someone will try to cheer you up by cheering you on.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
eng.

The same is here , man . When I am angry or sad one tiny voice tells me "go buy some drink to be released from this" , but I know this is my poison and road to hell will be opened again for me ... so the different way is with alcohol , I am on day 14 . We must relax as much as possible
Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Rubbersoul, Welcome!
from another ontarian(Ottawa), formerly from the good ol down east....
Congratulations on 19 days!
my DOC is not alcohol, but early recovery was tough, and I really struggled with the anxiety..
know that it will get better...
we are here for you..
Fubar, that book sounds interesting...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

As everyone's said, things will ease up - you can't stay at this level forever. I did the same thing, grieved over the loss of alcohol in my life. That made no sense, since it almost killed me, & could've caused me to spend my life in jail (3 DUI's). I think we always reflect back on the euphoria we once felt when we first began drinking. It's hard to remember it ended up a living hell - we seem to think we can recreate the old days when it was fun and relaxing. It's impossible, trust me - I tried for over 25 years. Rubbersoul, I am wishing you great success with your new life. Love your screen name, brings back happy memories. (I still have the album.....)