Notices

I called 911 on my sister

Old 04-11-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I called 911 on my sister

My sister called me extremely drunk earlier threatening suicide, and then she hung up on me. I called 911 immediately because I have never heard her say that she wanted to kill herself before, and she had sounded so determined.

The police called me when they arrived at her house and asked for more info, while still on the phone with the officer I heard some yelling and the phone went dead.

The phone rang again and it was my sister screaming and yelling at me for calling them. I told her I did it for her own good. She has a terrible rage problem which is one reason she lost her son who my brother now has guardianship over. The last time I went over when she was drunk and sad "not threatening suicide", but sad, she kept pinching me and hitting me and I wasn't about to go there with her again.

The officer called me back and said he apologized for abruptly hanging up on me but that his partner had run into some hostility with my sister. She told them she was fine and proceeded to swear and scream at them. Anyway they didn't feel like she was in any danger of hurting herself so they left.

She has called me about 15 times, I told her not to call anymore until she sobers up.

During the first phone call when she was saying she was suicidal. She was also saying things to me like I don't know anything about having things hard and that I have the perfect little life over here. What a joke.

I am trembling inside and the triggers are there. What a dreadful disease this is. My sister who I worry about and pray for everyday calls me drunk and then I want to drink? WTF!!!
Was I wrong and an awful sister to do what I did and call 911.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You did the right thing.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

no, you were not wrong and she should consider herself lucky to have a sister like you that cares enough to act as quickly as you did. That is a scary situation, one that I can relate to. You did the right thing...
Old 04-11-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not at all. You did the right thing. I would have done exactly the same. It is an awful disease, you are right about that.

It's easy for her to look at your life and make judgements when she doesn't have to walk in your shoes.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Wow Suzette. It never lets up for you. Does it?
I dont think you did the wrong thing.
You never know whats going through someones head when they are drunk. Or even when they say they want to kill themselves.
Thats a very serious threat. Not one to be taken lightly.
And to be honest. I am surprised the cops left. Especially after seeign how drunk and beligerant she is.
I hope everything works out.
Just try and focus on yourself. You already know the drill. Theres nothing you can do for her right now.
Let her sleep it off.
Big hugs hon. I feel so bad for you.
Just dont drink.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you did the right thing. don't let her make you second guess yourself .
Old 04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mle-sober

You know that you were not wrong for calling 911. And you certainly weren't an awful sister. Be strong. Don't give into that voice in your head.

That sounds like a terribly traumatic evening with your sister. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. But I think you handled everything really, really well.

Family is so difficult sometimes. My own sisters are not alcoholics but they are tremendously judgemental of me. They seem to enjoy finding fault with me and pretending that they are perfect. I have to use a lot of "self talk" after spending time with them. Talk where I tell myself the truths about all the crap that just happened. I sometimes find myself trembling inside too. And it definitely triggers me. It's not as dramatic as your recent incident but I have similar responses.

Just stay centered, Suzette. I know you can do that. I'm "seen" you do it again and again - have something difficult happen to you, go through a wide range of emotions, and then find your balance and your center, where the truth lies. You are very good at that. Don't forget it. You have a reason and a right to feel somewhat off-kilter by this. But you can get back to calm using your tools that are inside of you.

How is your husband doing?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Of course you did the right thing!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Not wrong at all...
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Suz. What a horrible situation. You definitely did the right thing, suicidal behaviour should always be taken seriously. Though difficult, try to gather strength and avoid drinking; deal with this as it comes. I hope you can find the conviction within yourself that you acted according to your beliefs, and out of love and concern.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel that you did the right thing. Your sister is crying out for help. She needs someone to help her because she obviously cannot help herself. I have been in her position more than once. If she is on antidepressants or mood stabalizers and drinking they will no longer be effective because the booze quickly eliminates them from her system. My sister has saved me many times and I have her to thank today for my sobriety. Don't give up on her yet.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You never need to be sorry for doing what you beleive is in someone's best interests. If you hadnt have done it, and something had happened you would never have been able to forgive yourself.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are not wrong! It would have been wrong not to get help for her.

You're a good and loving sister, tho she might not think that now, she'll come to that realization sooner or later.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You did exactly what you should have.

I hope your sister finds some peace.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think you did the right thing. I would have done the same thing too. Don't feel guilty. If you didn't call 911 and they found her dead the next day, would you be able to live with that? I don't think so. Your a good sister, and I sure hope your sister gets well.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You absolutely did the right thing. Hang on tight tonight and tomorrow you'll be so glad you didn't drink over this. Take care of you tonight.

Jayne
Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My mom just called and said that the police are at her house now because my brother and nephew are there. My nephew (my sisters son, the one that my brother is gardian of) heard whispering about what went on today and flipped out. He is on probation and basically has no more chances. I don't know what the police are doing... I pray they don't take my nephew away. I'm sure he is worried and upset about his mom.

Now I am really feeling like I got the turd to rolling.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

So it would have been a better idea to do nothing? Let her keep calling you and threatening suicide? Suzette. When does being a doormat stop?
She called you. You did what any caring person would have done. And thats alot for someone trying to deal with their own **** and fight off the cravings.
You dont give yourself enough credit.
So whatever happens happens. She did it to herself. Not you.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I worded my last post incorrectly. The police are at my moms house now where my brother and nephew are temporarily living. My nephew heard my mom and brother whispering about sis saying that she was suicidal, and he freaked out too. He is a kid full of rage. I dont want them to take him away because he became emotional over his mom. But I guess my brother called 911 for a reason.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you seriously did the right thing. you might feel like you're getting mixed messages from your family members, and maybe that is the case. keep in mind that they aren't exactly objective in this. your sister phoned you and was expressing suicidal thoughts. what were you supposed to do? any rational person would have reported it. to ignore it would not have been responsible. please don't be hard on yourself, okay?