Notices

Uh Oh..Whos got a job?? I got a job!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congrats on the job!! It's great to see when someone has had a day like yours and comes out of it on the other side still sober. WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! You go Girl!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Trish,

I've had 4 (count-em) hernia operations on my stomach. The operation is never fun. But it's not the worst pain I've ever felt. My biggest adive to you is to prepare for 2 things:
1) Having someone else give you your pain med on time (if at all possible) or making the committment to take it exactly as prescribed. Throw any old stuff away. The last thing you need now is a new addiction. The pains are necessary and helpful. But they're also dangerous for people like you and me. I was able to ask my husband to help.

2) Even if your doctor doesn't tell you to do this, do it. It's probably the single biggist thing you can do to make sure your recovery goes well. The first day you're home from the hospital, take Miralax two times a day. Take it twice a day until you have normal bowel movements. Then you can start tapering it slowly. Still 2 times a day but less of the miralax in the drink. I took it in red gatoraid. Totally easy.

Sorry that is a little graphic. But seriously, it's so important. Your system is sort of frozen after the surgery - from the shock. And that can cause more pain than the surgery itself.

I totally agree with serenity queen. Your attitude rocks. You are the awesomest!!! I am so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Emilie
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you had such a lousy start, but congrats on the new job!!!!! It does feel so good to be a productive member of society again. Even though, sometimes, I feel like just another drone in the sea of an anthill.
I also worry, so much, about feeling comfortable in my recovery, getting stressed out too much, or just feeling c0cky and thinking everything is OK.. THAT is when my addiction sneaks up on me and tells me to go out and get just one more...