Notices

Still struggling with cravings at 37 days

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still struggling with cravings at 37 days

I think it's my job. I work in social services which creates a certain kind residual stress which in me creates a strong craving for alcohol at the end of the day. And that was the issue which has led me back into recovery. I was drinking too much on work nights and then missed work with a hangover. The stress is still there at the end of the day, and, yes, I'm trying to build healthier ways to process it. I definitely feel more clear and grounded though at the start of each day. It's rough though. I'm feeling that craving for a 40 ouncer as I write this. A strong craving. In the morning I'll be glad I didn't drink but right now it's bleak.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Antone View Post
I think it's my job. I work in social services which creates a certain kind residual stress which in me creates a strong craving for alcohol at the end of the day. And that was the issue which has led me back into recovery. I was drinking too much on work nights and then missed work with a hangover. The stress is still there at the end of the day, and, yes, I'm trying to build healthier ways to process it. I definitely feel more clear and grounded though at the start of each day. It's rough though. I'm feeling that craving for a 40 ouncer as I write this. A strong craving. In the morning I'll be glad I didn't drink but right now it's bleak.
I quit my last job because of similar reasons,as yours.I'm on less money,stress,worry,sober 23 days and I'm now wondering{where have I
been} for the past 30 years ?
Food for thought and as for cravings,google check NALTREXONE.
See a Doc,it sure eases my cravings.... Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations on 37 days.
When I feel stressed I go to the gym and work out and the stress goes away.
This may not work for you but it may help to find another activity that aids in your stress relief.
You already know that drinking is only a temporary solution that causes more problems than it solves.
Good luck. You are doing well.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I know it's probably the biggest cliche on here but hang in there it will pass. In the mean time try to find something to do to distract your mind from it. Exercise, house work, reading, or eating something filling works pretty good I found out. Gorge your self on something filling and you wont really be thinking about drinking beer on top of it, but it's not one of the more healthier things to do. Though at the early part of the game just about anything but drinking will help.

Good work on the 37, keep it up!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bard View Post
I know it's probably the biggest cliche on here but hang in there it will pass. In the mean time try to find something to do to distract your mind from it. Exercise, house work, reading, or eating something filling works pretty good I found out. Gorge your self on something filling and you wont really be thinking about drinking beer on top of it, but it's not one of the more healthier things to do. Though at the early part of the game just about anything but drinking will help.

Good work on the 37, keep it up!
That's it. Whatever will replace the drink FOR NOW is a good decision (within reason).
Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you can stay strong and resist the craving, well done on 37 days, that is awesome
Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ant, think about it?

is a craving, a desire, or a thought?

they are all different, and it might help to give you, and others a new spin on it!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I still have cravings at 50-something days. I recognize them for what they are: my alcoholic voice telling me lies. They do pass, and as you get more sober time they will become less frequent.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on 37 days! Yesterday was a nightmare for me - at least 50 times I thought I was going to run out the house and all the way to the 7-11 on the corner...it was bad. Today I am SO glad I didnt, now I can say I made it to day 10! I stuck to this site, made lots of sandwiches and drank lots of water, and probably smoked far too many cigarettes, but the main thing for now is no drinking! Stay strong, I hope I can make 37 days - I will be so proud of myself if I do, and so disappointed in myself if I don't. Sending positive thoughts!
Love
Helene
Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Things get better.

Drinking just puts you back to the start again and isn't an answer.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You know it's not talked about much any more. Every body says "eat healthy" which is all well and good. But something those early members of AA found out, and for years you saw cookies and candy at meetings, is those cravings are not all for alcohol.

It takes a good 6 months or more for your BODY to adapt to a new way and thus many times those 'cravings' are for SUGAR. Your body turned all that alcohol into SUGAR.

So what I was told and did was make sure I carried wrapped hard candies with me everywhere and had them at home also. When I would get a "craving" I would open one and suck on it and the 'craving' would leave. Carbs, ie pasta fruit etc also help quickly to relieve the feeling.

By about 6 months or so the cravings will be pretty much gone. Then it becomes learning that 'thinking' about a drink to relieve a particular situation or happening is an 'OLD' way. It is just a thought. It was after all the way we dealt with everything. There is a big difference from a 'thought of drinking' flit through your mind and an obsession of 'I have to have a drink.'

Continue to eat healthy, but try the hard candy, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I also quickly got in the habit of keeping dry roasted peanuts everywhere also as they were protein and could help with those 'cravings' which were really drops in 'sugar' ie hypoglycemia.

Hope that helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know it's not talked about much any more. Every body says "eat healthy" which is all well and good. But something those early members of AA found out, and for years you saw cookies and candy at meetings, is those cravings are not all for alcohol.

tell it, sister lol

Antone - 37 days is great, but still pretty early. It gets better.

You're already looking into alternate stress relief - good. I think Fube's post about leisure activity is good too.

So is Zip's post - try and make sure exactly what this is - craving, desire or just a thought - and if all else fails - pig out LOL and hit some sugar.

D
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post

It takes a good 6 months or more for your BODY to adapt to a new way and thus many times those 'cravings' are for SUGAR. Your body turned all that alcohol into SUGAR.

So what I was told and did was make sure I carried wrapped hard candies with me everywhere and had them at home also. When I would get a "craving" I would open one and suck on it and the 'craving' would leave. Carbs, ie pasta fruit etc also help quickly to relieve the feeling.

By about 6 months or so the cravings will be pretty much gone. Then it becomes learning that 'thinking' about a drink to relieve a particular situation or happening is an 'OLD' way. It is just a thought. It was after all the way we dealt with everything. There is a big difference from a 'thought of drinking' flit through your mind and an obsession of 'I have to have a drink.'

Continue to eat healthy, but try the hard candy, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I also quickly got in the habit of keeping dry roasted peanuts everywhere also as they were protein and could help with those 'cravings' which were really drops in 'sugar' ie hypoglycemia.

Hope that helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Thank-you for your share. I have, all of my life, been a bad sugar addict. BAD. I am actually trying to stop sugar at the same time as alcohol and the craving comes up for both, like you're saying, at times it seems or is the same craving.

I have quite a challenge with fatigue, and I'm hoping staying away from sugar will help with that. I did binge today on carbos. Like many say, for now, whatever keeps me away from the bottle.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
I suggest you ask your doctor about hypoglycemia....
an eating plan for that codition may help you.

Well done on your sober time...