Notices

Taking everything in me to resist the urge...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Taking everything in me to resist the urge...

Well, tonight isn't exactly my best night. Been holding so much in for so long and feel like I'm about to bust. I'm so tempted to just go out and drink my ass off and forget about it all for the moment.

It's taking everything in me to fight and resist the urge to do this. I've just locked myself up in my room away from everyone and everything and cut the music up and trying to stick around here to keep from giving in. I'm just going to have to take things a moment at a time right now. I'm reminding myself that it might make me "feel better" for the moment but I'll be feeling more like sh*t first thing in the morning. This will eventually pass and it is possible to make it through. I'm just trying to keep occupied to help making it through a little more tolerable.

I don't know, I know I shouldn't be holding stuff in and all because it's a big trigger for me, but don't ever want to talk to anyone because I feel like I'm being a burden to someone and that I'm not worth the help or having someone to talk to. I don't really know how to say it, but guess it's because I feel less than adequate and that everyone is better than me and that I do deserve the worst from life, the most pain in life. Oh well, I'm sorry for just rambling on and wasting the time of those who stop and read this. Just have to remember that "this too shall pass." Sorry again for the rambling and thanks for letting me share.

Wes
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No sorries at all Wes. I know the feeling of the urge, and music definately helps me. Sometimes it's great to use your energy (negative or positive) artistically as well, drawing, music, poetry...I know for me it is a good medium to channel my heightened energies. Never think you deserve worse or are less than someone else, you are what you believe you are, not what someone else says you are.! Keep strong.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry Wes, but those urges will come and go and sometimes there's not even a reason for it. My tool of choice is to read my first few posts in order to remember why I decided to take this tough choice of staying sober versus drinking every single night. Here's yours and I hope it helps.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2095171

And to be fair, here is my first post.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-morning.html
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wes,

You DO deserve a good life. Please believe that.

I'm glad that you came here and posted.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

There is nothing to be sorry about.
You are not a burden to anyone here.
This is what we are here for. To help each other through times just like this.
If it helps to keep talking. Do it. We are here and ready to listen and support you.
You are worth it and not less than anyone.
Drinking is just gointo make you feel worse. Probably make you more depressed and you wont enjoy it.
Then all the crap feeling when you sober up. The money spent. Its pointless.
Keep posting and reading.
As much as you need to. Vent , rant, talk it out. But dont go drink. You can make it and it is very possible to get through it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by CoF1984 View Post
I don't know, I know I shouldn't be holding stuff in and all because it's a big trigger for me, but don't ever want to talk to anyone because I feel like I'm being a burden to someone and that I'm not worth the help or having someone to talk to
That's wrong. Sorry man I do know the feeling but you have to understand right now it's just not true. It's a lie your head is telling yourself. Don't believe the lies man they will kill you.

Open up and talk to someone, you will be amazed at what happens. :ghug3
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You know what helps me feel better?

To share what it was like when i drank.
What happened to me while drinking.
Where im at now.

When i do that everyday, i dont have time
to think about drinking.

And it helps the newcomer just getting
clean or sober to know they r not alone.

It gives them hope just like when i read
ur shares it continues to keep me sober
one day at a time.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Wes!
I didn't read how long u have been sober now but whatever amount of time you have is too precious to give for that first drink.

I will be sober for 30 days this Thursday, it also marks the first day that I came to SR...I relied heavily and still do on the friends that I have made and the posts.

I, personally, am going the AA route with meetings and like you, was absolutely terrified but I have to tell you, I cannot wait until my Friday meeting to get that 30 day chip. This is an awesome opportunity to reinvent yourself, I have alot of stuff that I have pushed down over the years, my trigger too, however, once you can look around and know that your story is not so weird, you are special in a whole new way, not like some pariah.

Hang in there, I have had some cravings lately as well, just got to ride it out, I am eating a lot of sugar and now have the idea of another program, overeaters anonymous to contend with....LOL!!

Stay Strong!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

HideorSeek just posted a great thread on her recent relapse and how it was just NOT worth it. I've been having a few cravings myself and needed to read that. Read it, if you haven't already. It's called "when a drink seems like a good idea". Keep resisting the lies your alcoholic voice is telling you. No matter what's wrong, drinking will only make it worse. Stay strong, you can do it!:ghug3
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wes,

When I was at my lowest, you were there, and without hesitation, helped me get out of a deep rut. You didn't have to do that and I'm forever greatful. Please don't come down on yourself because as a person, you deserve the best from life.

You're about to celebrate 60 days (or you're there already) and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. Hang in there my friend, you'll get through this - keep strong.

Roy
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job reaching out for support. You are doing great, just keep it up and you will be glad you did in the morning, probably even before then.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support and help...some good points made for me to keep in mind. And today will make day 61 and that's a lot of time I don't want to throw away. I've pulled out my bass guitar practicing some things and writing some music to help keep busy while reading on here and all. Thanks all for the support and words of encouragement. Still struggling with the urge...but keeping myself busy with better things than drinking (being here and my music.)

Wes
Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Today, you CAN do this. You have to teach yourself how to get through the crappy part....and when you do, you'll feel Great!

Take a shower, have a snack....keep posting, but please, don't drink. It's just not worth it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Wes, you have always been here for me and I have always listened to your advice. Please listen to mine and stay sober tonight. Dont through away the 60 days bro....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have to thank everyone once again for keeping me on the right track and giving me so many good things to keep in mind and meditating on. The urge has started becoming less and less bothersome. I'm starting to feel a bit better and think I'll be able to sleep it off. Which is good. At least I can go to bed knowing I didn't give in to this disease and can wake up with no regrets and no hangoever. Thanks all for the support and encouragement and helping me make it through this. Guess I still have a lot of stuff I have to work out, but hopefully between being here and my sponsor at AA can help me work through some of this stuff so I can finally let stuff go rather than keeping it all bottled in me ready to explode. But, with all that said, thanks again to everyone. And hope everyone has a good night. I'm going to try heading to bed and be ready to face a brand new day when it gets here. I hope to see all you wonderful people tomorrow. Much <3 for my SR family.

Wes
Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Its ok to get "thirsty"...sometimes wes......

Makes sense to get like that sometimes after years of alcoholism..

I think its important to keep playing that tape to the end though

Alcoholism tricks us into thinking that it will be different... this time and it never was or will be.

Alcoholism dont want us to look at the end of the tape....the bit with the dry retching in it or sweating..trembling...seizures...scared of your own shadow and despising yourself.......cos thats the reality..

I remember being hooked up to a drip in hospital after primary detox thinking "ive got to eat properly when drinking"....hows that for denial.

Praying for the "obsession to leave me" helped at lot.

And involving myself with my sponsor and the steps was also the key to freedom for me.

god be with you my friend............trucker
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

Co,

I think your honesty is really amazing. I just had a bad relapse and let me just say it is soooooo not worth it. Any bad emotion you are feeling will either a) just be amplified by using or b) get better for a very brief amount of time and then you'll feel even worse than before when you come down.

Use your coping skills to stay strong and get through this. It's okay. I'm praying for you.

Rach
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you are feeling better.
You made a great effort and it worked.
You reached out and your making positive decisions.
Be proud. Maybe it being sort of a milestone is why your having trouble. I could be wrong. I know sometimes people get a little down and stuff arounf those times. I know I did before.
Glad you made it tonight. Sleep well.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

hey Wes,
I have been feeling the same way all day. Tomorrow will be day 60 for me and I agree with you that it isn't worth all the hard work just to throw it away like that. You have been a constant encouragment here on this board and you could never be a burden. Hang in there...you are doing great!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today is here. Not yesterday and not
tomorrow. JUST TODAY. Dont look forward
and not backwards. That makes staying
in the day a little easier.

Have you changed a few things today?

Like, no alcohol or drugs in the house
so if the urge beomes strong again
then the temptation wont be there
to reach for.

That way u can have time to either