Notices

When a drink sounds like a good idea...

Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

This is a timely post.....I have been so tempted lately.......justifying it in my mind....I will tap the brakes. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm a firm believer in PROGRESS, Gneis (sp?). Whatever we are today is the sum total of all our yesterdays. It is almost 1 year since I found this site. At the time, I was depressed, drinking every few days, and having serious marital and family issues as a result. Today, I am in such a better place...in my own head and in my life. I'm a work in progress though. Last year, I couldn't get through a week sober, much less months. Am I there yet? Nope, but I'm much, much closer. I think there are lessons in our lives that we need to learn, painful and pleasant. What last night taught me was that drinking isn't even pleasant any more. If that "draw" is gone, and I remember it, if I am teetering, I am more likely to not pick up. Maybe I needed to learn that lesson to help me in the future. One more tally mark against the beast.

And, in looking at life like a pond in which each of us creates ripples, which then intersect with other ripples, which then creates NEW ripples (Well, hopefully that makes some sense), my experience (and posting here) has had an affect on others who may be tempted to drink. And don't, because of this thread. I'm not being egocentric here, because I didn't create the pond. I'm just trying to pay attention to the ripples...
Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Hindor, thanks for this post. It makes me also think back to the last time I had a hangover and felt like crap. It is never worth it. I had 2 beers a few days ago, and I didnt even like the taste. I know that if I can keep remembering my own experiences, or reading others, I will stay away from the booze.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you quickly stopped.....
Prayers for your peace
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by HideorSeek View Post

And, in looking at life like a pond in which each of us creates ripples, which then intersect with other ripples, which then creates NEW ripples (Well, hopefully that makes some sense), my experience (and posting here) has had an affect on others who may be tempted to drink. And don't, because of this thread. I'm not being egocentric here, because I didn't create the pond. I'm just trying to pay attention to the ripples...
Thanks, HoS.

I think you're right, I've made progress. But it still drives me a little crazy. That's why I tried, and sorta succeeded, in using it as motivation.

I really appreciate this post. Hitting the "Thanks" button didn't quite seem enough.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone (and it IS a good morning)! I just wanted to come full circle here and say (as if anyone thought otherwise, LOL), that waking up sober is wonderful and a MUCH better way to start the day!

Muzzle the beast and onward we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....and thank you all for the wonderful responses...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks for this post, the thrill was gone for me the last 5 years of my drinking, but I was in a place where in order to function I had to drink every day or get sick.

Thanks for posting this for my good, your good, & the good of others here. This past Tuesday we had a lady come back in after doing some more research to see if she could make it work this time.

I pray for her every time she goes back out, because every time she has made it back in her physical appearance shows just how close to death she was coming before returning. She looked like hell this time, she had lost a great deal of weight, she has to use a cane now just to walk, she was in tears, she acknowleges it is her choice every time, that she stops coming to meetings, she stops calling people, she stops praying and the next thing she knows she is plowed again.

She helps me and every one else to stay sober for the day, the ladies surrounded her and made sure she knew she was at home and that we all still loved her. A lot of tears, a lot of prayers. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

thats how the obsession to drink gets us.A little at a time until our thinking changes and a drink looks like a good idea.At that point,we apparently have forgotten or just don`t care anymore about our past drinking experiences,and the drink looks better all the time then.If I stay on that path,I`ll drink.Thats another reason I like to keep my memory refreshed on what it used to be like,or in other words,remembering my last drunk.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I never want to experience that awful hangover again..