Notices

Support Needed!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support Needed!

It's Friday afternoon and I have just got home from work, nobody at home and my brain is trying to convince me that a drink will be the best thing to end of the week. I guess I need some words of encouragement to stop me from going out and getting that drink.

I wish it could be just 1 or 2 drinks but it cannot, for me its all or nothing. I know the feeling of being sober tomorrow morning will be just awesome but that seems so far away at this point.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maggot4Life View Post
It's Friday afternoon and I have just got home from work, nobody at home and my brain is trying to convince me that a drink will be the best thing to end of the week. I guess I need some words of encouragement to stop me from going out and getting that drink.

I wish it could be just 1 or 2 drinks but it cannot, for me its all or nothing. I know the feeling of being sober tomorrow morning will be just awesome but that seems so far away at this point.
Thoughts only have the power that you give them. And they do go away.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
eng.

Go walk out of home and call some friend . You CAN resist !
Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

That is your addictive voice calling you. Just tell it to buzz off and then find something to do to keep busy. Take a walk. exercise, clean, read, anything.
It will stop bugging you in a short while. Don't give in as I am sure you know nothing good can come from that.
Be strong.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi m,

The old tapes begin to play whenever we are alone, have money and see the slightest reminder of our boozing days. Even a beer commercial can be a trigger that starts us off again. It really helps to set a plan and stick with it. I use lists now to help me stay focused, and I plan my activities for each day. Sometimes I'm able to do almost all that I put on my list, other days, no so, but the lists help keep me focused..We have to replace those drinking thoughts with action, and any form of action which does not include alcohol will help. Mind games are the worst, so I've found it helpful to sidestep my mind by using something as simple as renting a good movie or going out to dinner as good ways to keep my mind occupied. It is one day, one hour at a time, no joke. You can do this, at least for the next couple hours, put it off till then.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 6.5 months and I can still get like that on Fridays... I don't wish for one or two, that wouldn't do anything for me, it would just set the stage for the main event... so, I don't go there in my mind... If one or two would satisfy... I wouldn't be here on SR.

What works for me after work... sounds silly, but hey, I don't drink those 1-3 drinks before supper... I play solitaire on my iTouch until my brain starts shutting down and then snooze for 20-30 mins... next thing I know, that dangerous just home from work time has passed...

Good job staying sober today!

Mark

Last edited by Mark75; 04-03-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You did the right thing by posting and asking for help. Don't drink, no matter what. It won't help anything. Cravings pass and get easier over time. I've been there and I do understand how difficult they can be, though. Hang in there, and keep reaching out.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for all the amazing support, i took your advice and went to walk outside for abit, drank plenty of water and played a little xbox 360. Dunno what I would have done without the support. I'm so happy because I really wanna beat this thing this time round and with all you guys around a know that it is possible
Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just try to remember your last bad hangover and how you felt.
It's just not worth it..

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yea I do, I constantly remind myself how crappy I felt on Wednesday. I basically lay in bed all day with a stupid headache the entire day. That for me is enough motivation to stop drinking. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and enjoy the weekend sober for a change.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes do call someone or hang out here. Hangovers are awful. You can do it.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get the after-work-itch sometimes like you all have mentioned. If it ever gets to the point where I'm not sure if I'll drink or not, I'll chug two big glasses of water. Takes only a few seconds to do, but my brain tends to rationalize "well hey, now whatever booze I put down there will be way diluted and nowhere near as fun." And soon the itch is gone.

Kind of a silly idea, but it works for me...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Coming here and posting was a good idea. I come here and read and post when I get the urge to drink, and before I know it, the urge is gone. Don't drink no matte what! You'll be much happier waking up sober!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there hun urges will go away.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you for coming here!

And yeah....Fridays can be hard....so can Saturdays...and Sundays....and well, you know!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Distract yourself....
a walk...read and post here...use Chat...take a shower
eat .....dance around the room..Brush your teeth

I find prayer immensley calming....

Do anything and everything to protect your new sobriety.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Treat that voice in your head like someone you do not like or have any respect for-give it the cold shoulder.
Fridays were rough for me at first, also. Remember hang on for dear life- it will pass after a couple of hours-watch a movie. Take a long walk. ( that REALLY worked for me), go out & eat.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

It is really funny, the more you really think through what the reprecussions from drinking are, the less it sounds appealing. Good on ya for coming here and not drinking. I have pretty much told that voice in my head to **** off, and so can you.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You guys are the best, woke up this morning feeling frikken awesome. Gonna live this Saturday to the max, I know that around 4pm the cravings and urges to drink are gonna hit me but im just gonna tell that stupid voice that knows nothing to beat it.

Redshift I like that idea about jugging to glasses of water when the urge hits, I shall give that a try.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That is a tough time for me also, but the benefits of not drinking are way too good. Up early on a saturday and feeling great is a wonderful way to spend the weekend. I feel rested on Mondays, I would be anxiety ridden until Wednesday and then start over again on Thursdays.

One craving at a time.

to you.

IMT