Notices

Scream therapy

Old 04-04-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scream therapy

Yes - scream therapy!

I have felt 'blocked' and somewhat detached, depressed, and angry for the last several months. My sponsor had suggested in the past that I might try yelling in my car or in private sometime. I did a couple of times, but only half-heartedly.

Each morning, when I drive to work, I talk to my HP for a couple of minutes, but I'm usually filled with self-loathing as I do, and judge myself for not being to fully express myself. I felt like I couldn't connect with my heart, soul, spirituality, whatever you want to call it.

So - I screamed. I realized that it felt very uncomfortable to do this, even with noone to witness it. So - tentatively, I screamed again. This time, it hurt my throat, but I felt less uncomfortable.

When I gave birth to my first daughter, I barely made a sound despite excruciating pain. I turned it all inward, only because I didn't want to disturb anyone, or to make a spectacle of myself. I had been given the message, growing up, that to make noise or create a fuss was to be wrong, somehow. When the pain became too much, I had to hold a pillow over my face and release my voice into it, even though I couldn't breathe this way.

So I screamed long and loud in the car, imagining that I was giving birth, and remembered how much it hurt. Please forgive me for the graphic nature of this, but I feel as though I have had an epiphany.

I dropped my daughter off last night, and found myself feeling irritable and angry again. So I screamed over and over and felt something shift inside.

Today, I was able to share at a meeting for the first time in a couple of months. I was able to practice Qi Kong movement when I got home, and I have been doing laundry and cleaning house since.

So, if you haven't tried it before, and you're full of pain/rage/fear, what have you got to lose?

:ghug
Old 04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it! I started to show my emotions much more about a year ago and my life is much fuller.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that anger is very misunderstood. I've become really aware of my anger lately and, although I've been encouraged to express it "appropriately", these days I let it all out as it comes - without harming anyone, of course
Old 04-04-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A very interesting and enlightening idea! I shall try it next time I'm feeling ???? and need to let it all out. I can scream all I want on country roads, no one will hear me. Can't do it at home, I"d scare the dogs.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this Rowan.

I too am very quiet, (also gave birth 3 times in silence).

I can't imagine what it would be like to scream, having never done it, but I can really feel from your post that it should be maybe something I should try, kinda scarey though.

It was hard for me to try and use smile therapy lol and all I had to do there was smile. I am not on my own often (girls are usually around) but the next time I am on my own, I might just try screaming.

Thanks x
Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great Rowan!

I know exactly what you mean by learning not to make noise or make a fuss. That's exactly how I was brought up, too.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was raised the same way, Ro. ("Don't make a scene") I always thought I needed to get over it, stiff upper lip, etc. - so I think this would be a good idea to try. I don't think many of us truly acknowledge our anger and stress -we're programmed to stuff it down, suck it up. I have the same problem as Least - dogs would be terrified and start barking at me - but I'll find a place. I have years of suppression built up, though, I might get going and not be able to stop.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This reminds me of a story my old sponsor told me - she had suggested a sponsee go to the beach late at night and scream at the waves, pretending they were her abusive father. The sponsee may have found the experience more therapeutic had the police not shown up - the beach she was screaming on was semi-private and she woke up one of the residents. LOL
Old 04-04-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Amazing how hard it is to find a truly private place anymore - to scream or do anything else we may have in mind....
Old 04-04-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My first 3 months into recovery I lived in a beautiful Sober Living House for Alcoholic Women in Canoga Park, CA. Not too far from the house was Topanga Canyon and if you headed north on that road you came to a place up in the mountains a bit where there was nothing but rocks etc very near the Old Spawn Ranch where Charlie Manson and his gang had hung out in the late 60's. Now it's all built up.

I would drive up there, park my old beat up 'alkie car', climb up a bit and just scream and scream and scream. It would echo. No one could hear me and it really helped a lot!!!! I did this, btw, on the suggestion of our House Mother Patty.

Later, I also figured out, that when I could not get somewhere 'empty' I could keep the windows rolled up on my vehicle and scream and scream and scream.

Scream therapy for both sexes is a GREAT reliever of tension, frustration, anger, and stress.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would try it but I am too English. I suppose that is the point, lol.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Primal screaming helps me sometimes but can also give me a headache. It is usually worth it though lol.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My wife screams a lot
...I don't find it therapeutic.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know if it is the English thing either lol but I find it impossible to scream, I have tried and its like I am struck dumb, all that comes out is a strange sad little noise.

I am too uptight for my own good, I might have to keep trying, I feel sorry for the neighbours if I ever succeed, all my pent up anger and frustration may break a few windows!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My therapist tried to get me to beat a pillow against her sofa, I couldn't do it.
I don't scream well either.
BUT, I did discover I llike to throw eggs at trees and curse like a sailor!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Just come to my gym and let me load up one of the barbells to a good 500 pounds. That will get most anyone into yelling and cussing up a storm!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Scream therapy ?

I have been enlightened many times then .

I'm glad it helped and glad you shared .
Old 04-05-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've heard of another suggestion along this line of "therapy". Get some cheap dishes, cups, bowls etc. from the Goodwill or Salvation Army store and smash them up. Not sure you can find a clear and safe area to do such a thing and it could be somewhat dangerous.
Although it sounds kinda fun, cleaning it up would suck.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I saw on tv that some companies have soundproof booths set up for people to scream in. I smell buisness opportunity!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~miss nikky~

thanks rowan im going to try this instead of screaming at peopel!!!!!!!!!