Notices

First thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great first thread & thank you for sharing & helping others here with your story.

Stick with it... we are here with you :ghug
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will start feeling better soon. One day at a time...Hang in there!!

Mark
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone - I cannot believe how much this support is helping. I tried to quit a couple of times before, but the most I lasted was 3 months, but did it all alone. I am SO grateful I found this site. Today is day 6, and I am feeling better. I have a barbeque this afternoon, and I am a bit worried. I think perhaps I may just give it a skip. Everyone knows I "like" to drink, so it may prove a bit too much right now. Ususally I arrive at any function with a couple of drinks in me already...you know get started early. Also, I always feel a bit awkward and klutzy, so if I have a couple then I feel like I can handle things better. But now I am being honest, I don't handle anything after a couple, because then all I want to do is drink more, until...well you all know. I am busy working through step two using this site, making lots of notes and thinking, instead of drinking. Wow, I have had quite a few revelations in the last 48 hours. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Helene...

In about 40 mins I am going to lead a meeting (AA) and my topic will be the 2nd step.

Belief in a higher power... yes, but I still didn't get it. I had to have FAITH that the HP will restore me to sanity... On hard days, it faith that gets me through... keep the faith!

Mark
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My first time leading a meeting... a little nervous!!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cubile- that is awesome- you will do great. have a great day today.
dub
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you for the words of inspiration! Good luck with the meeting, I know you will do great, I don't know how I know that, but I do I love your quotation btw. I wish I could attend your meeting, let me know how it went.
Helene
Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Helene

It went well... I have spoken in front of groups before, I was in local politics for a while some time ago, I have also given seminars (not alot, but some...). AA is different. It has to come from the heart, or everyone sees through it...

So I threw out all the prepared ideas, readings, etc... and just talked about the faith thing... 2nd step... what it's like for me...

I heard from the group that it is also trust... trust that your HP will restore your sanity. In my mind I kind of lumped that in with the faith thing, but the group helped me to see that trust is needed, trusting your faith...

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, I only mentioned because you are working on your 2nd step. Thanx for asking.

Mark
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome,your no longer a lost soul swimming in a fish bowl {Pink Floyd sort of}.
5 days is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dayn 7 and counting :)

Mark - well done! I am good at public speaking but not about personal subjects, I think that must be a whole different kettle of fish! Ozboy, now you got me stuck on the fish metaphors! Funny though, you have no idea how often that line runs through my head "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year..." funny you should have used that line. Great album that btw.

Anyway, Mark, when is your next chance to head a meeting? Did you feel good after? In no way, did you hi-jack my thread, I am just delighted to be "communicating" with people sober. I have been a bit cut off for a very long time, and I live in a foreign country with a huge time difference to my own, so "chatting" in English is quite novel, and soberly is even better

Today was day 7. I had some rough moments this morning. Went to pay my final rent (we are moving next week) at the bank and had to pass a "Cantina" where they were having a beer and tequila promotion, it was still early in the morning but the place was open and banners were waving and I could smell the beer and tequila. I felt several hard tugs but then I looked up at the sky, took a deep breath and went to the bank and then browsed a religeous book store accross from them. Found only one English book though which did not appeal. Still you never know what you might find when you look. Silly thing after, was supposed to go and buy detergent (and nothing else) so that we can wash all the bedding and towels before they are packed. Got to the store and could remember that I had to buy something in a powder form, but for the life of me couldn't remember what, nearly went home wtih a packet of flour *chuckles*...decided to phone home and check. Apparently this is normal after quitting. Silly, but not pleasant.

Glad I have this forum to check in on. Please feel free to share more with me, if you have any tips they would be appreciated. I am working this thing alone and I am on step 4, and feeling a bit overwhelmed...

bye for now,
Helene