SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   why did you stop your adiction ????? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/173436-why-did-you-stop-your-adiction.html)

butchville 04-04-2009 04:11 AM

why did you stop your adiction ?????

well for me i just wanted my life back as i felt alcohol was slowy taking everything away from me so i had to stop it as i had to much to lose like my woman ,,my job,,and the house ,,thank god i have stopped and good luck to everyone on here :praying

penny74 04-04-2009 04:15 AM

Because otherwise l would be sleeping on a park bench stealing wine from shops, and be dead soon.
Without friends or family, because they were sick of me as well, being the way l was.

Samuel Johnson
Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion.

Itsmytime 04-04-2009 05:17 AM

To be free from anxiety and the feeling of dread the next day...

KenL 04-04-2009 05:24 AM

I have a lot of sub-reasons for not drinking but the single over-riding purpose for my sobriety is to be the person I have wanted to be for so long. I am more confident in myself, I exercise regularly, I read more, I sleep better, I eat better, etc., etc.

I think that quitting drugs and drinking is just about the only purely selfish thing we can do that actually benefits the ones we love.

tommyk 04-04-2009 06:08 AM

It was time.

When I tried to control my drinking I didn't enjoy it.

When I tried to enjoy my drinking I couldn't control it.

Bamboozle 04-04-2009 06:38 AM

My life is falling apart.

readyforhelp 04-04-2009 06:56 AM

I had stopped functioning. Couldn't make it to work anymore. Depression and anxiety engulfed me.

Fubarcdn 04-04-2009 07:04 AM

I stopped because my wife told me to either quit or get out. She is more important so I quit.

adore79 04-04-2009 07:14 AM

Health, legal, work and family matters.

least 04-04-2009 07:15 AM

Because I didn't want to be miserable every day until alcohol finally killed me.

Maggot4Life 04-04-2009 07:20 AM

I stopped because I cannot control the amount I drink, tried moderating to only weekends but then on the weekends I would just make up for lost time and go overboard and then feel way worse. Then I would go back to old ways and drink every night. I also felt depressed and had little energy after a night of drinking

Taking5 04-04-2009 07:22 AM

Great thread. I identify with every single post here. So I guess I am an "all of the above" guy.

Maggot4Life 04-04-2009 07:25 AM

Same here, I can totally relate to every single post in this thread

Missymae737 04-04-2009 07:48 AM

My drinking of thirty years with several years of sobriety took me to a place I never thought would happen to me...A DUI convinced me that my time was up...NOT because of the DUI, but because I hit two parked cars with a family in one of those cars...I could have killed someone and that still haunts me to this day...

I relapsed after seventeen months and for two days I stayed in my bedroom and drank so that I could passout and not FEEL...What kind of existence is that?

I really feel like I have no other options, that if there is a next time of relapse, I may not come back to sobriety...

flutter 04-04-2009 07:59 AM

Alcohol got in the way of the rest of my life, and now that I've removed it from the equation everything else is wonderful and exciting. Ahh relief!

micwush 04-04-2009 08:17 AM

My life was spiraling out of control. I was afraid I wouldn't wake up after the next binge. And my husband reached the end of his rope with me. I still have a lot to live for and was on the verge of losing it all.

coffeenut 04-04-2009 08:33 AM

Because I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

And, it was time to grow up.

Thank you for this thread.

Mattcake 04-04-2009 08:37 AM

My addiction was destroying me - all aspects of my life. My mental health was the most distressing aspect but, after a handful of drunken accidents that could have easily killed me, I decided to begin my recovery.

Hevyn 04-04-2009 11:58 AM

I, too, was afraid to fall asleep because I might not wake up. I was terrified at the total loss of control I had in the end, the round-the-clock drinking. I think it was the day I walked against gale force winds to get to the liquor store blocks away. I couldn't even see from the rain and wind, yet there I was, trudging up the street for my anesthesia. Pathetic.

Antone 04-04-2009 12:07 PM

I missed a day of work due to a hangover. It's a new job and very important to me and I couldn't believe I did that. It may not sound like some horror show bottom but it really disturbed me. I decided that was it. I didn't want a lower bottom than that. That was 33 days ago and I'm still in sobriety.