Notices

Trying to come off a Binge..Help!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Trying to come off a Binge..Help!

Wow! I do not know what happened but I have been drinking steadily for three straight weeks. Never enough to stumble or pass out but just enough to keep me in a very mellow condition. I know I cannot live like this and I am trying to come off this binge by tapering my booze. Yea right! I keep planning the taper and than drinking it and buying again. I have one bottle of wine left and I really hope I can use it to taper down and keep off the shakes and tremors that I know will come in the night. The night is the worst when you are trying to sleep and are shaking considering I need to hide this from my husband who is coming home from out of town tonight. I will probably end up sneaking downstairs and having a glass of wine in the middle of the night just to quiet the shakes and rawness of it all. God I hate that raw feeling when I am not drinking.

I Could use a little encouragement. I really want to quit and stay that way. seems like I just can't get it right. I am going away for the weekend and I am going to try and use it as a sort of "rehab" since where we are going there is no booze. I really want to just stop and get fit. Lord I hope I can do this. I want a clear head and a fit body, and if I keep on this path I will never get it.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

keep fighting. u can do !!!!! I will pray for you in church tonight.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no easy way LMN - you have to stop drinking.
One day at a time, fight through the cravings.

It's simple - but never easy.

I dunno how much you've been drinking over the three weeks but, regardless of who knows or not, I think anyone who thinks they need to taper should be responsible - they should front up and see a doctor.

Please do that if you think that going cold turkey is going to be a risk for you.

D
Old 04-09-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One time last year I'd just gotten out of rehab and was drinking again (already) and told my one daughter I'd 'fallen off the wagon'. She told me firmly that I was wrong, I hadn't 'fallen' off the wagon, I'd JUMPED off. She told me I decided to drink and that's all there was to it. I was mad at her for telling me that so bluntly, but eventually I realized she was right. I had CHOSEN to drink, it didn't just 'happen' to me.

You've been drinking cause you chose to drink and only choosing not to drink will make it right. You must choose to stay sober. You must want to stay sober MORE than you want to drink. Not easy, but simple.

I wish you well in getting sober again and staying that way.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Wow Least, thanks. You are right. A person needs to choose not to drink. It is a choice and I made a bad one since I had been pretty sober for a long time. I really respect your posts. You have been on the board for a while now and I certainly appreciate the response. I really am going to try to get over this and just stop stop stop!!!! I look and feel like crap. I used to be cute and skinny and now I look like a big fat red blob!!! Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

You have done it before and you can do it again. LMN.
You have learned from the last time and you seemed so happy posting here when you were sober.
You can have that again. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you agreed with least that drinking is a choice. I also agree with Dee about checking things out with your doctor, to be on the safe side.

You can do this, you've done it before!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You can stop. Stop planning an easy way out. Because really..There isnt one.
Just do it and stick to it.
Get to a Dr if you can to help.
You gotta want it and do it.
I know you can do it. So stop playing and get going.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

As Dee said, there is no easy way, but to just stop. Have you talked to your dr? If so, just stop, as tapering can be so discouraging. I was like you and my tapering never worked out and I ended up so frustrated.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Binging is something I know all to well....I also knew that I chose to drink...but I learned along the way.... that staying sober is also a choice....I wish you well....and that you find the strength to do it again....
Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Trust me. You guys are really helping. Keep it coming! Every time I read a response I feel a breath of fresh air. I need it so bad!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

l came off a 3 week binge 4 weeks ago.
There is no easy way.
You just have to do it.
A few benzo's from your gp to help you through the first few days is a great help.
You will be very glad you did it in a few days time.
You are going to have to do it sooner or later.
l wish you all the luck in the world.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898), Alice in Wonderland
Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi love,

While we're drinking, it's almost impossible to imagine life without it. We rationalize our drinking, because down deep inside we're afraid to let go of our crutch, we think it is our only coping mechanism, our only escape from the dreary existence of our world. We cannot imagine life without our buddy, without our way of living, without that one thing that we think makes us feel better, even if just for a little while, or just a few minutes. It causes our receptors to fire, whereas nothing else may do that for us today, and we think we need it real bad today, just that few minutes of ease, just that one drink to relax. We think no one understands how it is with me, cause my situation is different from yours, my need to get away is greater than yours, my hopelessness is more profound than yours. We think you just don't understand how stuck I am.

Fortunately, this is not the case. Yes, it's true, the choice is ours, but we don't have to do it alone. That's a great gift, the gift of others who will show us the way out of the despair in our hearts and in our souls. This group is one of those gifts and you are part of it. You are the most important one tonight, because if it weren't for you in your hour of despair, this group would not exist. Each of us have been through our hour of despair and this group, along with countless others in our communities around the globe, have extended their hands to help us find our way. That's just way cool stuff. How many liquor stores do you know that will give you a free bottle of wine, none that I know of. But here, people will freely try to help you and I, that's just unheard of in most respects today. What a great gift. Every gift has a price, but the reward of putting down the glass of wine is a new life, not an easy life, but a new life. Yes, it's a choice, but it's a choice well worth making. Can you imagine a life without another hangover, ever? Boggles my mind. But I wasn't hungover today, and that's how it works, just for today, don't drink. I know, oh yea, that sounds easy to me, but how bout you. I was there. I lived in the alley of despair for many years, as many here have, but we moved on, to be here today. And I can assure you, it's not nearly as scary today as it was for me just a few weeks ago, because something clicked while being here, something flipped in my head, and today I don't want a drink. If you stick around long enough, the same may happen to you. Give it a chance.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too think seeing your doctor....and be honest about your drinking
is a wise move for you.
Forget tapering...you have proven that is not working.

Hope you can find your way into sobriety
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, LMN!

If it is of any help to you, I'm coming off a 3-week bender myself. Today is my 4th Day 1 this year. I needed about 3-4 bottles of wine and occasional shots of plum brandy to even get a buzz on a daily basis. It's a miracle how I managed not to miss work or mess up in some other way. I know it all too well - the shakes, the sweating, the headache, the restlessness, the feeling of grey doom and utter despair. It is like this every time but I have to go cold turkey because tapering down for me means to be on a perpetual bender. My emergency kit contains valium and some medicine to keep my BP under control. To think that I am only 35 and that my body has become so imbibed in alcohol! Never had any DTs though, but I know it's never too late as the veterans here can attest to. It's scary but necessary! I keep repeating this to myself as if it were some silly mantra or something... We just need to figure out a way to stay quit, because in itself quitting is easy if painful. "I won't drink today!" - it's crystal-clear simple but my alcoholic mind slowly talks me back into it every time. It's probably the same with you. Have courage, clutch your fists, grind your teeth, take really deep breaths and move on. If it gets unbearable (with me it's progressively worse that's why I have to medicate) check with your doctor. Mine is too embarrassed to talk openly about my situation - that's why she prescribed valium for insomnia and metoprolol for a history of rather high BP for my tender age. But she knows it all very well (that insomnia and elevated BP are by-products of cold turkey situations) and wants to help me through withdrawals. Funny how we have the same poison of choice - wine! Let's not drink today, will you?

Love & Peace,

Goob
Old 04-10-2009, 03:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree, you gotta see a doctor and be totally honest about your drinking. If you completely honest the doctor can do nothing else but help you recover. I wish you the best of luck
Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I spent years tapering off..and it never worked for me.

Because tapering off could last as long as i wanted it too.

Thankyou for reminding me how difficult it is to STOP.

Can you get to a doctor?.........i think it should be your first call.

Pray for help.........i believe he is with you.

Maybe call the AA help line..

If you desire it with all your heart it will happen.........time to take ACTION.

god be with you..........trucker
Old 04-10-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LMN first of all let me tell you that it is a fact that alcoholism is progressive, as long as an alcoholic drinks it always gets worse and never better!!!

The reason so many here have suggested going to a doctor is because withdrawals can and do kill alcoholics. Every time an alcoholic goes through withdrawals, the withdrawals are worse, so many die withdrawing because they say "Well if it gets to bad I will call my doctor.", well the problem with that is when one has a stroke it is difficult if not impossible to talk, little lone dial a phone, when one is having DT's the convulsions & hallucinations make it difficult if not impossible to dial the phone, and if one has a heart attack they may not live long enough to call anyone!

PLEASE!!!!! See a doctor and be TOTALLY honest about your drinking!

I was not a binge drinker, I progessed from being a weekend drunk to a daily drinker and a weekend drunk. I was able to quit drinking for weeks with no real bad physical problems at all for many years, but the mental obsession grew worse and it took more booze to get the job done every time. Then I became a daily drunk, the last 5 years of my drinking I never drew a sober breath, you see I had to drink every day just to function and to keep the shakes away.

I need to hide this from my husband who is coming home from out of town tonight.
If you are going to quit, you will not be hiding anything from him, if you continue to drink you will hide nothing from him. If he loves you, he will support you if you are HONEST with him! The truth will set you free!!! Sit him down and tell him the truth and that you are going to see a doctor to help you detox safely and that you need his support to stay sober once you are sober.

This can be done, it is not easy, for me it was impossible to do by myself, this is true of many of us. It is easier to do with a program and a support group, people who have been through the same hell we have been though. Those with experience, strength and hope in recovery from alcoholism. People who will share with you how they got sober and even more importantly how to STAY sober!!!

I have found that the best way for me to stay sober long term is to do as those who have more time sober then I do. In simpler terms, if I want what someone else has I need to do as they did.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wishing you the very best! I really hope and pray that you can find some way to help yourself! Hey it isn't all bad, have an egg painting itself?! hehe
Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you today lovinmenow?