SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Strange night - Strange day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/173407-strange-night-strange-day.html)

Toomutch 04-03-2009 02:24 PM

Strange night - Strange day

It all started last night about 11:00. Kaylee came in my room with an earache, so I got up to look in her ear and make sure it hadn't ruptured. While in the middle of my assesment I started feeling very strange. My ears began ringing, the left side of my face went numb and I tried to speak and it came out all slured and garbled. I started holding onto my head on either side because I felt so strange, tried to walk and fell right into the door jam. Kaylee was saying "mom get in bed" I tried to walk and my left leg went numb and buckled beneath me. I got myself situated in bed and was sweating. Anyway I went right to sleep.

I phoned the call center thismorning and they immeadiately put a cardioligist on the phone. He said I could go to the E.R., make an appointment for a cat scan of the head or speak with my GP.

GP called and said he thought it was more than likely a drop in blood pressure. We talked for awhile and he said he would do whatever he could to help my disability claim to go through because he knows I suffer both mentally and physically.

About an hour later mental health called me and said that GP was concerned and began asking me questions. Next they said they were going to put a message through to my psychiatrist for him to call me.

Meantime I am thinking wtf? Do they think I'm crazy? I am glad to be getting the medical attention from my doctors, but the fact that they keep passing me on down the line without my even asking seems very weird to me.

Has anyone ever been through such a scenerio?

Lenina 04-03-2009 02:35 PM

((((toomutch)))

Am I wrong in understanding that the GP wanted to speak to the psychiatrist and now they both want to see you? I think maybe the GP wanted to know exactly what you've been prescribed, drug-wise to eliminate a side-effect related reaction so that's why the psychiatrist was called.

How are you today? Feeling better? Anything new?

I get that numb face thing from the fibro. I've never had slurring though.

Do you take night meds? Is it possible since you were woken up in the middle of the night the slurring and trouble standing may be related to the meds?

Let us know how you're doing, sweetie!

Love,

Lenina

Toomutch 04-03-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lenina (Post 2178310)
((((toomutch)))

Am I wrong in understanding that the GP wanted to speak to the psychiatrist and now they both want to see you? I think maybe the GP wanted to know exactly what you've been prescribed, drug-wise to eliminate a side-effect related reaction so that's why the psychiatrist was called.

How are you today? Feeling better? Anything new?

I get that numb face thing from the fibro. I've never had slurring though.

Do you take night meds? Is it possible since you were woken up in the middle of the night the slurring and trouble standing may be related to the meds?

Let us know how you're doing, sweetie!Love,

Lenina

No, I think because I told him I had to quit IOP and personal therapy and never was able to go to bipolar classes because of our high deductable. The therapist called just asking how I was and if I need to see someone today. I told him no but that I was still having mood swings, so he is having the psychiatrist call me.

What seems strange is that they are all calling to help me without me having to make any phone calls. Maybe after the episode I had last night they think something mental caused it?

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, I am probably not making any since.
Love,

Lenina[/QUOTE]

Lenina 04-03-2009 02:49 PM

I think they probably want to make sure you're OK and rule out complications with the meds. That's my first thought. Frankly, I'd be thrilled if my doctors showed that kind of caring!

Are you feeling better?

Love,

Lenina

Missymae737 04-03-2009 02:49 PM

I understand the terror you felt...I also understand how you felt passed around the doctors...I have felt the same frustration as you...

I hope you get the answers you need and right away...

Thinking of you...:ghug3

Toomutch 04-03-2009 02:54 PM

Actually I am thrilled, because I cant afford to go to the doctors, their coming to me... It is a godsend.

I am wondering if they think what happened last night was all in my head; thats the part that bothers me.

I am feeling better. Very tired and I'm having to concentrate to walk or I veer to the right.

My daughter said I was acting like I did when I used to get really drunk. But I haven't had anything to drink for over a year.

louis 04-03-2009 03:03 PM

Hi...

I dont know medical stuff... but i know when i have servere ear ache i get ringing noise and the balance is affected by the inner ear...

I doubt your doc's are thinking its psychological... but maybe they just want to make sure your ok...

I hope you get the answers your looking for soon.

Take care
be well
louis

Lenina 04-03-2009 03:04 PM

I don't think they automatically think it's all "in your head" but understand how you feel that way. Especially with the fibro. I find I often second guess what I'm physically feeling after all the stuff I went through before getting the fibro diagnosis.

You're still taking meds, right? Many meds have side effects and I still think the doctors wanted to get an idea if it's the meds causing the experience you had last night.

I'm very happy to know you're getting the medical attention you need.

Love,

Lenina

Toomutch 04-03-2009 03:07 PM

Yes I'm still taking alot of meds. The same ones I have been taking for some time now.

least 04-03-2009 03:12 PM

I hope you get some answers soon.:ghug3:praying

mle-sober 04-03-2009 03:19 PM

Hey Suzette,

Just what you need, huh?

I don't know. I feel for you. Obviously, I'm no doctor and I am not giving medical advice, just empathizing.

I'm hypoglycemic and when my blood sugar drops suddenly, I nearly faint and I feel extremely shaky and lightheaded. It's a horrible feeling. But it's very distinct and I don't slur my words. I just need to get protein in me and then I feel better quickly. It doesn't linger.

I do have some similar symptoms to yours from my bipolar meds. My husband gets up with kids in the night if they need it because I'm basically incapable. I will stumble and slur and knock around like I'm drunk. So, maybe it's that?

I hate to alarm and this is probably wrong but I can't help but think there's a possibility that you had a minor stroke. Especially since you are still having some symptoms. Is there any difference between the right and left side of your face? The way they look or feel? Has your doctor mentioned that possibility? The numbness, the slurred sleech, the off-kilter.... I guess I would take my doctor up on a CAT scan. It sounds like he suggested that?

Let us know how things progress, okay?

- Emilie

Toomutch 04-03-2009 04:28 PM

My psychiatrist called and wanted me to begin taking less of my wellbutrin. A drop from 400mg to 200mg each day. He said this may help with the rapid cycling I've been experiencing. All my other meds are remaining the same.

I got alot accomplished today and didn't even have to go to one doctors appointment. They are all very understanding of my financial situation and the high deductable.

I'm blessed :)

warrens 04-03-2009 04:45 PM

Suzette

I share Emilie's concern regarding a mni stroke (TIA). First thing that came to my mind as well.

Not that I have any expertise (just a lot of caring). If you were my lady, you'd be at the doctor...

warren

Anna 04-03-2009 05:25 PM

Hi Suzette,

I agree completely with everything Mle said.

She is absolutely right.

Take care of yourself.

Toomutch 04-03-2009 05:52 PM

I thought about a mini stroke too, that's why I phoned the call center this morning. At first a cat scan as mentioned by the cardiologist. By the time my GP called he was thinking it was probably medication related or low blood pressure, which usually runs 96/60. He didn't want to send me for a cat scan saying that it would more than likely be putting unecessary radiation into my body.

adore79 04-03-2009 06:15 PM

That sounds scary Im glad you are ok. I know lots of meds can cause high bp but I dont know about low bp, probably but Im not a doc.

Lynxster 04-03-2009 06:18 PM

It seems strange and very concerning that only your left side was affected, have you fully recovered? If it happens again, you should get to the ER and they would probably do a cat scan right then. Google "Transient Ischemic Attack Symptoms" and see if this sounds like your symptoms. Hope you feel better, :) Lynx

dedubya 04-03-2009 06:21 PM

hey-
i went to er 3 weeks ago with similar symptoms. My bp was through the roof. but it was in the morning.....dont take this lightly. buy yourself a bp machine at walmart- they are good, reli - or something...you dont need a stroke young lady. too much life to live. take care of yourself.
Dubs

coffeenut 04-03-2009 06:25 PM

Suzette, this same thing happened to me about 6 years ago, without the ear ringing. I went to the dr and they set me up for a 24 hour holter and a cartoid (think I spelled that right) artery check. Everything came back fine. Sure scared the hell out of me, though. Still does.

If your insurance allows, getting those things checked out is good piece of mind, if nothing else.

Toomutch 04-03-2009 06:30 PM

Yes I had almost every symptom describing TAIS. I told my GP that and he still didn't think a cat scan was necsessary. I am not the typical stroke candidate. I have great blood pressure, good cholesterol counts, non smoker. I am certainly hoping that my doctor is right.