Notices

New to this.......In the right place???

Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New to this.......In the right place???

I am new to this whole message board and the recovery thing. I want to do this so bad. I don't want to be dependant on the pills anymore. My choice is Percocets. However, I have read some of others' posts and I have not been taking as much mgs as some others have. So why is it so hard for me to stop. I love the energy that they give me and this is bad to say but they actually make me feel 'normal'. But I know that they are complete poison to my body. I have been taking low mgs of percocets (probably anywhere from 10 - 50 mgs) a day, on the 10 mgs days that was just to get something in my system, but I been dependant on them for about 2 years now and really don't know anything different. My husband tells me its all in my head, but in the mornings its my body that is telling me to go get 2 just to stop the hurting. I am tired of being broke all the time. I am trying really hard to not get a couple today, and just get through the pain. I have 2 children that I have to take care of during the day is there any advice anyone can give me as far as to getting the energy to do what needs to be done. I know the 10-50 mgs is nothing compared to some of the others I read, but its alot to me and I just don't want to be like that anymore.

Thank you for listening.
Catch
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent post catch.... Don't compare yourself to others, and it seems you are not. It is and it's not all in your head... you think you need the percs to be normal, but do you know what normal is anymore?

The good news is that withdrawal may not be as painful, but you may want to get help from a physician...

You are in the right place. Keep posting. Lot's of help here, I'm sure some folks with perc addictions will be along soon!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

See a doctor, hang around here, and find a program of recovery & a support group, this is not easy, but it is easier when one does not try to do it alone.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Glad you found us!

It's good that you are seeking help for your problem and I hope you will talk to your dr and keep posting.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the thing to remeber is that most people who end up doing loads probably started doing some.

well done for being strong enough to admit it now, before leaving it for too long.

and as a mum, i know it's wonderful to not have to rely on something to give me the energy to spend with my little girl, although in my case, i was hooked on something else.

stay strong!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is really the only thing that I am worried about is the energy part of the whole process. My daughter is 2 and my son in 7, so I have my hands full, their father is away until August so I have no help with them. It is so hard to keep up with them and do the things that need to be done around the house. I don't even want to get out of bed in the mornings unless I have a perk ready and waiting. At 3:30pm today it will be 24 hours since I had my last one, and I know that I can do this but its killing me knowing that I am unable to do the things my children want me to do with them. I had to force myself to get into the shower this morning. I just want the energy and motivation to do things.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get a script of perc 5's every month, of course I abuse them. But however in my last posts I want to be done with them. My question to anyone out there is does anyone know anything about Celebrex. I also have a script for that and I know that it is a non-narcotic that will help me with my pain, but was wondering if there was anything anyone else knew about them. I know that I can be off of the percs for good and I want to be able to go to the doctor this month and tell her that I do not want them, or does anyone have any advice for obtaining energy.........

Thanks for the confidence from previous posts........

Catch
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A good place to start

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
See a doctor, hang around here, and find a program of recovery & a support group, this is not easy, but it is easier when one does not try to do it alone.
As Taz said find some support. The support I got here helped me through the first 6 months which were the worst.

BTW. Hello all, sorry for the long absence. Gone but not forgotten and still sober.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont know much about pills.
I do know that no matter what the amount you take. Even as prescribed. It is a good idea to speak with your Dr before stopping cold turkey.
It is dangerous to do that.
As far as energy. I have put myself on a schedule. Like a certain time to get up. And routins everyday. I find that a routine helps alot.
I have my coffee and do SR after I wake up. Then I get dressed and do things that need to be done. Once I get going. I usually am ok.
Sry cant be more help.
But I am glad you are here and want to stop using.
There is alot of support here.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome. So glad you found this place.
Have you thought about seeing a doctor to get a plan to cut back & stop.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Catch. Percocets were my demons for a few years. I'm only working on a month clean from them but I feel better than I have in a very long time.
I know the withdrawls are absolute hell. How is your diet and exercise? That's what killed my energy level.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really don't eat during the day, I have never been a breakfast eater anyways and I try to eat a healthy dinner. As for the exercise, I don't have the energy to do it......I would love to do it, I have the perfect neighborhood to go for a walk with my daughter as long as its nice outside but if not then we are stuck in the house.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I highly recommend that you eat breakfast. It will help give you energy to burn for the day.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OK, I am now 56 hours without any opiates whatsoever!!!! Is there someone who can tell me what I am in store for the next few days!? PLEASE

Catch
Old 04-04-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR! I am fairly new myself, to this message board. Not exactly new to recovery. I started my recovery in November of '08, had a couple relapses after 20 days of being clean. Finally got tired of being "beaten up" (mentally and spiritually) and got fed up and became DONE, February '09. I'll work hard to not ever use again. My DOC is crack cocaine. But don't try to compare or look for the differences, try to look for similarities! I joined the NA, and they have taught me so much, yet I have much more to learn.
What I find similar between you and I is those first feelings of realizing what you are doing is bad for you, and it could lead to jails, institutions, or death! I remember thinking that I had to smoke crack just to feel normal. I also enjoyed the weight loss! Sick thought as that was, I lost 130lbs in 9 months. I felt beautiful! I looked awful, in reality. I also remember how I loved the energy crack gave me! So I gotcha on that one!
Anyway, I am glad to read you are trying to quit! With perks, I have no clue on what withdrawals will be. Mine were my brain playing nasty tricks on me and getting a lot of migraines. The shakes. A lot of sleepless nights, but I made it 60 days, straight without cheating (smoking crack and telling people I was clean), or substituting (smoking pot or drinking alcohol, or taking pills- I loved the vikes!). I do still "substitute" in a manner of speaking. I stay busy by going tanning, going to the park with my friend's Golden Retriever, being with my boyfriend, going to meetings, and working. I also will work on my truck or my car (which thankfully did not get sold in the name of getting more crack). Or, best of all, I come here. I go online and drown myself in Myspace or SR, or go to one of the free game sites and play. Sometimes I do research on drugs and their effects, addictions, etc.
Hopefully, I'll motivate myself enough to go back to college and finish my degree too! And maybe take other courses and do all kinds of neat things.
It just feels freaking great to be clean. It was worth the withdrawals and is definitely worth the work. Just look at it as YOU are WORTH IT!!!!
And don't let your husband tell you it's all in your head. In my opinion, it starts in your head, but when it becomes a dependency, it's no longer just in your head. It's a physical need! People told me cocaine was strictly a mental addiction, that you don't have a physical addiction to it, and I wholeheartedly believe they LIED. I am not calling your husband a liar, I am just saying he may be frustrated, or if he takes something, he may be denial, or just don't know what to do or how to help and that became his only answer.
Come here as often as you like, find some local support group (we CANNOT do it alone, as much as we'd like to), and get phone numbers. You'll make new friends along the way to help keep you busy and best of all, they will be friends!! I wish you the best of luck!!! *HUGS*