SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Would and Individual's Drinking Effect Choice of a Potential SO (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/173196-would-individuals-drinking-effect-choice-potential-so.html)

Mark75 04-01-2009 06:31 AM

Would and Individual's Drinking Effect Choice of a Potential SO

This one should be self-explanatory. For those of you who are single, how would a potential SO's drinking effect a decision to enter a long term relationship.... I put a zinger in there :)

Mark

SHawk25 04-01-2009 06:38 AM

I would say to be with a non to light drinker. I think it is obvious if someone is in recovery they would not want to be with a heavy drinker..

least 04-01-2009 06:39 AM

If it was someone I already knew who drank responsibly I wouldn't mind. But if it were someone I didn't know I'd have no way of telling how bad their drinking might be and I'd avoid them like the plague.

I got some great advice a long time ago:

Never play cards with a man call Doc.

Never eat at a place called Mom's

Never sleep with a person whose troubles are worse than your own!

allport 04-01-2009 06:58 AM

Cubile you left out the option for I am single and can't get a date. :lmao

Tazman53 04-01-2009 07:08 AM

Well considering I am married quite happily to a light drinker I answered "I would not enter a relationship with someone who drinks heavily" for, as Shawk said OBVIOUS reasons! LOL

Now if I was single, I would consider a lady who had fairly long solid recovery or any lady that did not drink heavily or at all.

tellus 04-01-2009 08:57 AM

When's the tutorial on how to find a nice, handsome non-drinker? :C023:

Music man 04-01-2009 09:00 AM

I am so Blessed, I am married to a women who does not drink, smoke or do drugs!!

I used to do all those things. When I met my wife I was drunk and stayed drunk till exactly 60 days ago. She likes me much better now.

To answer the question I would not enter any relationship till I was solid in my sobriety then only to a non drinker.

Entering a relationship early in sobriety is like throwing miracle grow on your character defects.

Mark75 04-02-2009 09:44 AM

Thanx everyone, keep it coming... yea, I know, this is a bump :)

Bard 04-02-2009 10:43 AM

I one time met a girl who claim to be a lite drinker. Of course lite to her was working M-F and getting hammered all weekend long. Of course at the time I didn't really care but now I would steer far away from someone like that.

But if I was to meet someone now who was a real lite drinker I would have no problems. My big requirement would be drug free, that's where I have zero tolerance at, not even a little pot.

gneiss 04-02-2009 11:28 AM

I started drinking because I liked a guy, and he drank a lot. And we were friends but it was awkward to not drink when he was drinking... you get the idea. I didn't know it at the time but he used drugs as well. Didn't find out about that until I had known him for well over a year. It was amazing how far he pulled me down, and how fast. I knew what I was getting into when I started doing drugs with him... or I don't have an excuse for not knowing. I just put on the blinders.

So, honestly I don't mind a light drinker, someone who has one or two once in a while. But if I were to date someone who started drinking every night, or looked like they were starting to edge toward that, I know I would have to leave him. I seem to lack the mental strength necessary to not get sucked into that world, and I'm not going there again.

Mark75 04-02-2009 01:13 PM

I know I would lack the mental strength to not be sucked into that world if I were to be around it all the time... Step One :)

Mark75 04-03-2009 06:45 AM

Poll ends tomorrow...