Notices

*distressed* I don't know what to do. Help.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You might want to see if you are eligible for some type of Medicaid, since you have no insurance and a low income level. I went inpatient last year, voluntarily. It really wasn't that bad. Actually, if I hadn't missed my husband so much, I would have not rushed to get out as fast as I did. You definitely want to go voluntary, there are benefits to it. Your therapist should help you with it. If she says she wants to commit you, then tell her ok, I will go voluntarily. As far as cost, I had insurance, but I still had to pay about $1200 out of pocket for a week of treatment. That's why I push the medicaid, I think they pay all or most of the cost. The charge for one day was $1500, so you really need some insurance or the state to pick up the tab. Again, your therapist and doctors should help you with that, since they want to get paid, too.
This was just my experience, so YMMV.

Wishing you the best.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

((((((Bam))))))
Old 03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Bam,

Good job staying present today!! Really. Good job. I don't see you whirling off into panic mode. I see you dealing with a stressful and confusing time by putting one foot in front of the other. Good job. And again, I'm proud of you for not drinking.

- mle
Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Bam..

I am sorry you are in so much distress..

When I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder..I had been clean and sober for 4 months.

My GP built me up to 800 mg of Seroquel..which my psych continued for one year.

My meds regime has changed to a minimum due to progress...but

It did help me, greatly. Individual cases are different. And, you have been prescribed a

very low dose.

Mle gave you great advice..as did starbuck. I was an eligibility worker for the State

before I became a social worker..please go in and apply for benefits.

I have to have a card for myself for my behavioral health services. It is humbling..

but necessary. We do what we have to do for ourselves.

And mle is so right..you cannot drink while taking seroquel. It could be very dangerous.

I do hope you can get your inpatient care Bam.

Many hugs,

Sher
Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

You folks are wonderful. Everyone who posted here. I don't know what to say. I've been sticking fairly close to SR ever since I got home six hours ago...I took some breaks to rest (couldn't sleep) and took a few pictures with my camera (now the weather's getting crappy again). I'm hanging in there...and I'm sober.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Comatoast. Welcome to SR!

Yeah, my therapist said I don't want it to come to that. I don't want that, either.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

wish i knew what to say. i hated the crazy house. it made things worse for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I just know your gonna pull through Bam. I have faith in you.
I am so happy your taking action.
Hang in there and keep moving forward.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

i remember when i got a little peace by going into the bathroom in my room and shutting the door. i remember looking at myself in the safety mirror say, "that's it, man, you bought the farm. you're crazy now". they had my head screwed all up from the brain dope. after my 72 hours was over i was so relieved to be outta there. it took quite awhile for all that crap to wash outta my system then i got better.

i hope you get better, bam. you are a cool chick.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey-
stick with it. I dont know or pretend to know much about this- but I will be praying for you- you seem strong. Fight the bad stuff, I do know something about that.
Dub
Old 04-01-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I took a pill last night....I think it made me a little tired after maybe 45min-1hr...so I went to sleep for about 6 hours (I don't think I woke up during that time...I usually wake up every couple-few hours), woke up, used the restroom, and went back to sleep for another 3 hours.

I feel........a bit tired....which is how I usually feel anyways...I am calm now, and that's good. I hope I stay calm. I'll see.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Bam, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this pain... 8 months after becoming sober I was at the point that suicide seemed the only option. I went directly to the psychiatrist, he opened his schedule for me. I found that I was bipolar and was prescribed meds., enrolled in IOP and therapy. It was that or go inpatient.

IMO you need to speak with your doctor directly and ask to be seen by a psychiatrist. Suicidal tendencies are nothing to mess with.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey Bam.. I don't have direct experience with this or advice - but I do so have you in my heart and will be holding you there through this.. You are a great SR friend and I so want you to get some relief!

:ghug3
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
IO Storm

One more day..I'm still here for ya Bam.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
mle-sober

A good night's sleep! Wonderful! Something to be thankful for.

I find my seroquel helps me get a good night's sleep AND helps me stay calm and less reactive throughout the day.

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you are.

In response to those who had miserable inpatient experiences - I'd like to add some contrast. Many times, the hospital has saved my life. I know this for sure. It's not always been the most luxorious experience (the food was not so good, I couldn't take a bath, there was a distinct hospital smell) but it has been essential. The nurses are kind and knowlegeable. The other patients and I would find ways to laugh.... It's not all horrible and bad.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I was committed to my first rehab after an overdose. I took pills while in a black out

drunk..and my doctor deemed it a suicidal attempt. I went to the mental health unit of a

recovery hospital. It was a very good experience. I wished I could have stayed longer.

I was just beginning to dry out and get a grasp on what true recovery was all about

when my insurance ran out. I cried..I did not want to go home...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I think the pill kind of wore off about six hours ago...I've been agitated and anxious this afternoon...pretty much how I've been feeling lately. Oh, well...I'm trying to stay away from people now, even my family. It's not their fault or anyone else's...I can't control it...most everything is either annoying me or ticking me off. When I get like this it's best that I stay away. This means I'm going to have to be careful around here. Sorry I'm such a grump or whatever...
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I left work early today...it was bad after the pill wore off...so I confided in someone there (who doesn't know everything but has a general idea of what's going on) and I got sent home. I can't work right now (but I need to! I don't work and that means no money for therapy or outstanding bills!)...I don't know how long I'll be off.

I called my therapist and then called the nurse on duty at my doctor's office and I'm waiting to hear back. I don't want to take those pills anymore. I know it's a low dose, but as soon as it wears off.......As long as I stay away from people I'm okay. Bad anxiety...and being agitated extremely at everything everyone does. I've already snapped at a few people (and I held back) and I can tell I'm getting ready to explode. I can't be at work when that happens or I'll lose my job. Oh....just babbling on here. Now I get to sit tight and wait.....
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
IO Storm

If you can't work Bam..

You most likely are eligible for State Disability Benefits...
Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Bam,

The pill isn't responsible for your agitation and irritation. The pill is responsible for the calm you felt before it wore off. It's possible to take 25 mg in the eve and 25 mg in the am so that the effects last longer....

You're having a rough time and going through a very stressful period in your life. It is normal to have big swings in emotion. It's normal to struggle. You are doing a good job of noticing that struggle and staying present. And not drinking!! I mean, seriously! You are sober. That is just huge.

I hope you can be as gentle with yourself as possible and remain open to whatever possibilities are being presented to you by people who are trying to help you.

I can't recall if you have a pyschiatric diagnosis or not. But bipolar people (like myself) often suffer much, much longer than they need to because they convince themselves that they shouldn't take the medications that would help them. It's a big part of what keeps them from getting well. The initial period of adjustment to medications can feel intolerable. But if you can hold on and work with your doctor, you can find stability and balance.

That might not apply to your situation. I don't know. But I know that was my experience.

I hope you'll keep posting.