SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Celebrity Apprentice (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/173012-celebrity-apprentice.html)

Fubarcdn 03-30-2009 07:36 AM

Celebrity Apprentice

Does anybody watch this show?
They have been portraying Dennis Rodman as a person with a drinking problem, which he may or may not have.
They have a boardroom scene at the end where Donald Trump fires one of the players and in last night's scene all his team mates pointed out his drinking problem and Trump insinuated an intervention might be the solution. At the end of the show they out up the contact info for AA.
I was just wondering if anyone else saw this and what they thought?

KenL 03-30-2009 07:57 AM

I didn't see it Fub but if that's what it takes for Rodman to quit drinking then so be it. If it's all an act then there's still no harm done for anyone except maybe for Rodman's image. I don't think he's too concerned about that though because of things I've seen from him in the past. Maybe what they did made a bunch of folks look at their own drinking issues and how they have affected others. Maybe, just maybe, a lot of people with a drinking problem will quit drinking because of what they saw. We can only hope.

Isaiah 03-30-2009 08:04 AM

I didn't see it, but I don't like the sound of it.

Not very Anonymous for Rodman if the matter is broadcast nationwide for entertainment. I know Rodman signed up to have his personal life made available to all when he made his contract, so I don't pity him.

What unnerves is that this is simply a plot twist for the network. I don't believe most people buy tabloids and watch programs of celebrities with drug problems because they're sympathetic and concerned for the person's well-being. The producers of this show certainly don't want Dennis (if he hypothetically does have a drug problem) to exit quietly from the show, get treatment and come back on camera to show how well he's doing. That's not what producers want, and that's not what America wants to see. For drama's sake television wants Rodman to be an alcoholic, to yell at the camera, to pass out during a taping, etc.

Posting contact info for AA was a nice gesture, but I think it's only lip service.

parentrecovers 03-30-2009 08:36 AM

dennis rodman went through treatment in 2003 or so, after a dui. i think. i know he's had a lot of run ins that have involved alcohol regardless.

he sure was a great basketball player in the day. i was a HUGE bulls fan during the chicago dream team years, and used to live for his new hair styles :)

i hope he can find ways to make a difference NOW.

hugs, k

Fubarcdn 03-30-2009 09:29 AM

I just googled Dennis and he is going to be on Jay Leno tomorrow night.
I am sure the topic will come up.
It will be interesting what Dennis has to say.
Did anybody else see him on Hulk Hogan's celebrity Wrestling?
That was a good show. It lasted 8 weeks and Dennis Rodman wqas the winner. It had a pretty good cast including Screech and Willis and Tabitha from the original Bewitched.
Rodman put on a really good wrestling show.

least 03-30-2009 09:35 AM

I haven't had television reception in over ten years and don't miss it one bit (except for Jepardy!) This show sounds like it is only on for ratings and not for giving help to anyone struggling with addiction.

Television, to paraphrase Shakespeare, is "the one eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds upon."

Fubarcdn 03-30-2009 09:57 AM

The show has nothing to do with addiction. It is about business.

Mark75 03-30-2009 10:02 AM

This is why AA has the 11th tradition...

"Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films."

No one person represents AA. Whether Dennis achieves sobriety and good recovery is up to Dennis... and his success, or lack of it, is his experience and not AA's... Also, these reality shows shouldn't be throwing AA around, a member of AA should not do that... so apparently the producers don't know anything about AA and are certainly not members...

Mark

Fubarcdn 03-30-2009 10:19 AM

The show was not throwing AA around. I assume you didn't see the show either.
The only mention of AA was at the end of the show they put up the AA contact information. I am sure that in order to do this they would need the approval of AA.

CarolD 03-30-2009 10:30 AM

Hmm..

I am sure that in order to do this they would need the approval of AA.
Why would you assume that to be a fact?

Anyone can share information that is not
protected by copyright laws.

parentrecovers 03-30-2009 10:46 AM

i was actually happy to see the aa contact info on primetime tv. what in the world could that hurt?

least 03-30-2009 10:48 AM

Sorry Fubar, my mistake.

Fubarcdn 03-30-2009 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the responses.
I watch this show because it is about operating businesses. I make my living investing so it is a subject that I am interested in.
My reaction to the show is the same as Isaiahs that they took a show about business and made it about something else to up their ratings and get people that usually wouldn't watch it to watch it.
I was just wondering if anyone else that saw it felt the same way but I guess nobody else here watches the show.

SelfSeeking 03-30-2009 10:52 AM

I've watched it once or twice, my recollection is it's not exactly c-span ;)

parentrecovers 03-30-2009 10:54 AM

oh, i watch it! i just didn't see all of last nights. i did see the "intervention" scene and then the aa contact info at the end. i felt they handled it well, with a lot of compassion towards dennis. that one guy, jessie what's his name, was pretty emotional about it. it sounded like he was in recovery?

i love the apprentice. liked it better before the celebrities though, with just regular folks. i would like to go ON the apprentice. not the amazing race tho, too hard :)

i kept thinking donald might film it in my town, chicago - with his new trump tower here. i think that building is kind of tanking though, so he prolly doesn't want to draw attn to it.

now i have kind of hijacked your thread, fub. sorry. go ahead and whine about it if ya like.

Fubarcdn 03-30-2009 11:07 AM

I liked the original show more too Parentcovers.
The celebrity edition is too much about pitting one person against the other. Like last year it was Pierce Bronson (sorry if the spelling of his name is wrong) against Alec Baldwin.
In the original it was every day people trying to make their mark in the world but ratings weren't great so they had to change it up.
I would love to see Rosie O'Donnel on it. :lmao

parentrecovers 03-30-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn (Post 2172001)
I would love to see Rosie O'Donnel on it. :lmao

and maybe rosanne barr :)

Done_With_It 03-30-2009 11:17 AM

I watch it also, I seem to always miss it. If I see it on I will stop and watch it.
I did not see the other night but I have caught a few episodes of Dennis where
he was drinking and thought oh Damn.....

That was why this thread caught my eye, I was actually glad they addressed
it on TV.

I saw another reality show where there was an obvious alcoholic and they never
did address it, they just let him keep on drinking and it was either everyone getting
angry at him ruining the competition or them laughing at him. It was obvious the
guy was in some serious trouble. It was handled poorly. IMO.......

Interesting I think, with all the reality shows on TV now it's bound that there are going
to be more and more alcoholics and addicts showing up.

JMO

parentrecovers 03-30-2009 11:19 AM

well, thank god for doctor drew's celebrity rehab then!

Done_With_It 03-30-2009 11:46 AM

lol