Notices

away from our comfort zone

Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

away from our comfort zone

what is your comfort zone ,,mine is home at the moment i have just come back from holiday and i hated going because i was not ready to leave my comfort zone yet, as i am still in early recovery ,,its very annoying though as i used to love going on holiday ,,:praying
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine is the gym or at home, no way I am ready to face a holiday. For too long holidays have been associated with 2 week binges
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh i hadnt thought of that. Im going away for a long weekend in a couple of weeks..
Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Mine is at home. Anywhere my family is. Anywhere except where the drugs are.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

when i'm not consumed with self...

it takes up so much energy...

ah, how serene life can be...

a nice sail on a boat aint to shabby either! lol
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine is definetly at home, I've become a total recluse since becoming sober 18 months ago, but I had family in town last week and I went out to dinner with them and I was fine, course it wore me out and I ended up sleeping pretty much the whole next day. Holidays or even just weekends were always a 'good excuse' for binge drinking for me.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to LOVE throwing my routine out the window and going on trips. It let me leave all the chaos I was living in for a new place. Now when I have big disruptions like that, even to go see my family who I love and miss a lot, it takes a lot out of me. I need things more orderly... But it's kind of a good thing, you know, that I'm not going nuts wanting to run away from my life
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Usually home, the gym, the grocery store (I'm weird and it's like my favorite place to go, and here in Colorado it's against the law to sell liquor in grocery stores and gas stations). Anywhere where there's no alcohol is where I feel much better, but mostly at home. I can't sit though, I like to be out, so I had to find places that are just as safe "out there", there's still a ton of life to be lived and it's sure ain't all happening in MY house all the time
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My comfort zone is my den (books, music, computer) and my dogs. My computer keeps me connected to the rest of the world, my books and music are my 'escape', and my dogs are my way of keeping me sane and healthy. I rarely leave home for longer than a day, and only once a year to visit my grandkids, and even being with daughter and her lovely family has me distraught over being away from my dogs.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Except for the dogs, I'm the same way. It's perfect for a day like today, with blusterly winds & blowing dust outside. Sometime I feel that I FINALLY have the perfect teenagers room I always wanted at age 51.(!) Plus, I'm on a "forced" vacation (GREAT situation to be in, huh?), & I'm listening to CD's I haven't heard in years-Pretenters, Rainbow, Supertramp. etc.
I have had times in my life when I was worried about a PLACE TO LIVE. So, I feel a certain sense of contentment right now. Feel a LITTLE guilty about setting on my keister, but it's NOT an issue right now!
And, no booze. I'ts kind of cool listening to all of my music that I was ALWAYS stoned/drunk to SOBER now. Some of it sounds better than I EVER remember, while at other times I think "What did I EVER see in that crap?".LOL
The journey to self-discovery continues.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

My comfort zone is my home too. I do best when things are familiar and I have a routine to my day.

The last several years, I have found vacations more difficult and uncomfortable, not because of wanting to drink, but because I missed the familiar, and of course, my cats.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

its strange how our minds all work ey i think coming on here to as helped me a lot i was away from my comfort zone for a week ,,i was 400 miles away ,,and i hated it ..and when i got back i got straight on here i felt better straight away
Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think of getting out of my comfort zone as doing something I'm not good at, like public speaking..definitely no comfort there. lol
Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One way to look at "my comfort zone", is to consider what it is that I do that is not necessarily healthy, but that I go to it anyway for comfort. My old comfort zone was drinking and using.

Lately this comfort zone has been getting in front of my television around 10pm and watching re-runs of seinfield and then falling asleep on the couch. Another one is smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

Last night I broke out of my "box" and went to yoga again. I went with a desire, It was like a new activity of comfort. it made me feel good.

so I am looking for new, healthy, loving comfort zones...which is what some of you described as well and i appreciate that
Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Today the only place I feel even slightly uncomfortable is where when I was drinking I felt the most comfort........ my garage!

When I am feeling out of sorts I find my greatest comfort zone to be a meeting.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Taz, I loved the garage as well, so many good hiding places. I only keep the car in there now !!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I wish I could fit one car in my 2 car!!! LOL
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just spent the weekend cleaning out my garage - first time since I started recovery. It was my preferred place for my drinking adventures... I did alright... drank lots of Sprite Zero !!!! In a way, it was a good experience, like I was cleaning up after someone who had been very sick and then died...

Hope I didn't steal the thread... but WOW... the posts about the garage really hit home...

Mark
Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did a clean up of my garage as well, I filled my car trunk twice with empty bottles. The fridge in there is now full of diet coke
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Yea I did my clean up after about a year sober, I could not beleive how many dead ones I found, what really amazed me is how many live ones I found, I had some of it hid so well I didn't even know it was there! They hit the trash can real quick. It was a sureal experience, I had spent quite a few years in that garage, I had a nice chair, a radio, and a table just for me, and of course my freezer for quick chilling!