Notices

24 Hours Sober

Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 Hours Sober

This is my first day of sobriety. It took a long time to get to this point--one failed marriage, countless lies, tons of hidden bottles, DUI, need I go on ? I have everything going for me--a wonderful new husband, 3 beautiful children, great career, nice home. But I still continue to self destruct when it comes to alcohol. I have abused alcohol for almost 20 years now, but have kept it somewhat well hidden to most. Except this morning, my husband found the bottle I had planned on enjoying today while he was working. He's had enough of the lies and promises of quitting--our life together will be over as we know it if I don't find help NOW.

The ironic thing is--I have sought help recently. I went to a local top notch facility for an assessment, and I really liked the people there. I finally saw light at the end of the tunnel, only to be told that my insurance would not cover services there. I would have to go to a facility downtown to get treatment--an area that is unsafe during the day, let alone at night.

My ideas of getting help sent me back to the bottle--stupid, huh ? I guess I'm going to have to do whatever it takes to remain sober, even if it means self pay at the facility I like.

The hardest part for me in all of this is wondering how I am going to live the rest of my life without alcohol. Maybe some of you can help me with this one. I realize I am going to have to relearn how to have fun and cope with life without, but it just seems unfathomable at this 24 hour point. BUT also at this point I am "sick and tired of being sick and tired".

Thanks for listening...
Old 03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

I have everything going for me, and have had... the career, 4 wonderful kids... So how did my life become so unmanageable from alcohol?? I don't know, but I know it's because I am an alcoholic, for the last 6 months, a recovering alcoholic.

You ask how you are going to live the rest of your life without alcohol? Are you having fun with it? Are you coping with alcohol in your life? I wasn't.

Anyway, you just don't drink, just for today, then do it again tomorrow. The answers will come... A recovery program, and SR, will help you along the way.

Mark
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can stop drinking, and you can live without alcohol. Just do it one day at a time. Do'nt think about never drinking, just don't drink today. There's lots of support here. I'm glad you found us.:ghug3

If you go to the place you like, I wish you the best in finding sobriety. and if you can't go, you can still get sober. Have you considered trying AA? It works well for a lot of people. Why not give it a try? Also asking your doctor for medical supervision/help in detoxing can be a good idea. Be safe while withdrawing from alcohol.

Welcome to the family!:ghug3
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lucy!

There are many who will come along to welcome you. We are from all walks and circumstances, but what unites us is our desire to be free from alcohol. You don't say how much you drink, nor why you sought inpatient treatment. There are many options (AA, outpatient, Antabuse, Campral...the list goes on and on). I guess the critical question to answer is "what do YOU need to get sober?" and do THAT. It's not easy, but everyone here just takes it one step at a time, that way it isn't so overwhelming. We are here to help and to listen. At the very least, keep on posting and keep on asking questions.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I do understand how hard it is to stop and how overwhelming it seems at the moment. My best advice is to not think about 'forever'. It's too much to deal with right now. Just focus on getting through each day.

Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking because it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol? If so, even though a treatment centre would be helpful, you don't necessarily need one in order to stop drinking. You could try AA, which might work for you.

And, you're right. I had to learn how to deal with emotions that I had hidden for decades. It was very scary, but you can do it. We're here to offer support.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lucy

One day at a time is the way to go. It will help keep you from getting overwhelmed. You have already made the decision regarding what you want, so take things slowly, without losing sight of your goal.

Keep posting You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have tried AA, and my dad has wonderful success with it after his inpatient treatment. I had trouble with people that I've never met before hugging me (I'm a very private person), and men hitting on me. Maybe I just need to find a group I can be comfortable with.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea, just find a group you like. I have a home group that I love and look forward to attending.... If you don't like to get hugged, say so! My father was in AA for 24 years and he died happy and sober...

Just go to meetings and listen, you don't have to share.

Glad to see you here... keep coming back
Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lucy, maybe you can find a women-only AA group in your area? And if the hugging makes you uncomfortable, by all means, set some boundaries.

If you do decide to go inpatient, I hope that you can find a facility that suits your needs.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LucyLuLu View Post
I have tried AA, and my dad has wonderful success with it after his inpatient treatment. I had trouble with people that I've never met before hugging me (I'm a very private person), and men hitting on me. Maybe I just need to find a group I can be comfortable with.
Mattcake's right- go to a all-women's group for right now.AA is great, but watch out for predators- especially a woman. Fact of life.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....
Congratulations on chooseing sobriety
Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Lucy!!

I am glad to see you here. You are in the right place.

Ladies certainly can set boundaries with men in meetings. You don't have to hug or be hugged. One thing that can help both in recovery and how to deal with unwanted hugs is by getting a Sponsor. Women normally get women and men get men Sponsors. They will also show you how to stay sober.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR.

Living without alcohol is scary at first, no doubt about it. But with some sobriety, living WITH the thought of drinking alcohol is even scarier.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
XO4

Welcome, Lucy!

I am on Day 6, but I remember Day 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. It didn't seem like it at first, but it does get easier. Some good advice I've seen here is to watch out for your risk times then make sure you are doing something else or are somewhere else so you won't be tempted.

Weekends are especially tough for me. A week ago, I'd be halfway through a bottle of Wild Turkey by now. Instead of sitting in front of the TV drinking, I'm on these messages boards and checking out the chat sessions.

Stick with it, there is help here. If not drinking one day at a time seems tough, just don't drink for the next hour. Hang in there!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am sorry lucy about treatment. I just went through the same thing and it sent me into a deep dark hole of depression for a couple weeks. But my friends here and my gram helped me through it.
HAve you considered IOP (Outpatient) . That seems to be easier to get into with any insurance. Alot of insurance companies dont want to pay residential. But will do outpatient.

I hope you feel better soon and find some help.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you have chosen Life not the bottle. Welcome!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us Lucy :ghug2 Lets get better at not being sick together ;-)
Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LucyLuLu,

Welcome. I'm little over a week into this and I still ? how to live. Hang in there. It is truly one day at a time and sometimes it is one minute at a time through the rough periods.

Tuco
Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support--this truly is a wonderful website for those of us seeking help. When I felt I was so alone in this sick world, I stumbled upon all of you ! How that for fate !

In my assessment, I was told I won't need inpatient, but that outpatient was more for me--which is still almost $600 a week that my insurance won't cover. I guess it's a small price to pay for my sobriety and health for the rest of my life.

Going on 48 hours--woo hoo
Old 03-29-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Lucy!

Glad to see that you are still with us! It took me a long time (a few years), to settle on AA meetings that worked for me. Just be wary of dismissing AA in entirety because of a specific meeting (I did THIS for awhile, too). I have found women's meetings to be particularly helpful (I didn't think that I would), and finally settled on a "set" that included all the types: Step Meetings, Open Discussion, Speaker. My point is that I repeatedly went back and found that some of my notions were totally wrong and that I needed to keep an OPEN MIND. And the bottom line is that I have met people who have changed my life with their openness and support. Best of luck and it's good to have you here!