Notices

14 Drinks Deep - Have Another 20 - MMMMMM

Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post
Hi and welcome! I'd assume that you wouldn't be seeking out a recovery site if there wasn't a little tiny part of you that wanted to be sober. So, I'll take your post seriously and say that long-term use of marijuana and alcohol in the amounts you are consuming can do serious harm to your body. You can do the google research if you want the details. Yes, as long as you're staying home and not out driving, you aren't hurting anyone except yourself. For some of us, it's been hard to care about that. I hope you will, and I hope you keep posting if you are serious about recovery.
Thanks.

I've been using marijuana and alcohol at these levels for over 12 years. I've also dabbled in hard drugs during this time, but not in over 3 years.

Again: Me = Trainwreck unable to even get into the shower without drugs and alcohol. Me = A facking star with drugs and alcohol. Called a "genius" at every chance. Zoloft, Zyprexa, Lithium, etc etc etc. No prescription drug has ever afforded me the freedom that alcohol and street drug has.

I'm asking you, BECAUSE I'd like to be independent of these substances, WHY they're going to ruin my life. It's ruined without them...I have something to lose?

Keep in mind, I type this, without edit, with now 16 in me.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by 12plusDeep View Post
I'm wondering what the point of "recovery" (quitting drinking and all drugs except those made by Pfizer) is .

If you guys can't turn someone, what good are your recovery forums?

I respect all of you who have turned away from the plug and the pipe, but what have you really gained from it?

It seems to me that you lose more than you gain and then try to cope under the guise of "I'll live longer". Define live.
Any recovery community works, forgive the AA phrasing, for those who want it to work. With all due respect, you're a self-described troll.

But I'll tell you what I've gained from my sobriety. I may not be in Mensa, but I'm certainly no dummy. Drinking was hobbling me mentally. A year into sobriety, I'm just starting to realize how much of my mind I nearly lost. Let's see, what else. I feel 23 (my actual age), instead of 53. Shock of shocks, I'm making friends and enjoying sober socialization. My family and friends respect and trust me. I could go on, but the most important gain to me is my mind. It feels so good to be able to think again.

I hope you find what you're looking for, whatever that may be.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Never settle.

We're not here to turn someone else, just ourselves. Your life is your business. You came here and posted, you were not recruited.

I respect all of you who have turned away from the plug and the pipe, but what have you really gained from it?

It seems to me that you lose more than you gain and then try to cope under the guise of "I'll live longer". Define live.
I don't really care if I live longer. Using alcohol, meth, coke, crack, pot, oxycontin, methadone, lexapro, loratab, blah blah blah did not improve my life. They made me miserable. If that's not your experience, that's fine. But there's no reason for you to be here.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have long ago quit discussing recovery with an active drunk.
Please do PM me if I can assist you another time.

I do hope you remember to come back to SR.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
getting there

Aside from the physical effects which are widely known and in stories all over this page, I can only tell you about my own experience. When I was drinking heavily, I was severely depressed and suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. I was on medication for those for about a year with no real result. When I started to see my drinking as a problem that was potentially interfering with my life, and started to cut back, I noticed a dramatic decrease in my anxiety and depression. By that, I mean that I went from crying for any reason at any time during the day (try doing that during a work meeting, it's really popular), to actually feeling in control of myself. Since I have had extended periods of sobriety in which I don't feel anxious or depressed at all. I am still on a low dose of anti-depressants, but they work MUCH better now.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I really wonder what you're thinking here. You say you want to quit, but then glorify the amount of booze you have in your system, along with the smoke, so what gives? Regardless of your IQ, what do you aim to accomplish here, if anything?

You may be striving to ruffle some feathers, and tick off a few people, or make fun of them for trying to live clean and sober, but what reward do you receive from this type of activity? It seems like a total waste to me to spend your time making fun of the very people who may be able to help you one day.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

re-enters stage............

your exceptional typing abilities with what must be a high blood level of alcohol indicates a high tolerance. That usually indicates trouble ahead.

There is a mental health forum here that has a great deal of info on PTSD (I have that too), OCD and other mental health afflictions.
None of the medications work efficaciously when mixed with alcohol or pot.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Once again: How strong is your own reason if you can't provide another with the same?

Perhaps this is all a matter of perception, huh?
Well, exactly. We perceived alcohol or drug use as negatively affecting our lives. You do not. My reasons for getting clean and sober have nothing to do with your life, so they would not be valid for you. My reasons work for me. You need your own reason. If you don't have one, no biggie. Keep using. It's really that simple.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Ditto what Ro said! (And what CarolD said too)
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

LoL. 16 peeps viewing this page right now.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

And guess what he is gone....
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Midas View Post
lol I think I'm having as much fun telling him to get lost as he's having with his mischief.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Speaking for myself, It's really difficult to snap that "love the drama" habit I guess.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anyone want to join me in
the 3 other members I just shared with?

12Plus is offline.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I hope you find what it is you are after. If you are really an addict you have a huge challenge ahead, and everyone of those IQ points will be needed.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Surprised this thread dint get locked. Actually I'm surprised someone partying on a Friday night and has a IQ of over 170 would decide to come to a recovery board and tell all of them how much fun they are having.

Anyway...
Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I think your just messing with everybody.Thinking it's just a joke.Not funny to people like myself who really want to quit and is glad to have a place where people really want to help.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Pardon my intrusion here, but I could not pull myself away from a thread with a MENSA member participating in recovery conversation. What a treat to meet such a profoundly intelligent person! Damn, if it were not for our silly anonymity, I bet I would know exactly who you are! God, I so love to meet famous people.

As a young teenager, I dreamed each night as I lay my head to rest of being honored in the MENSA annals as the first chemically self-created genius in the history of our fair land, America. Of course, my research was in for a long uphill battle as my IQ barely passed the eighty point peak, but I was completely committed to reaching at the very least a lofty one hundred points. Please do not sneer, genius comes in many forms and my discovery of certain miracle mind enhancers was pivotal. Why, who could image that this simple Hoosier boy could leap small fences and race slow trains for hours with the joy of Superman while experiencing the effects of such a small piece of paper someone called microdot?

Who could have predicted that my periodic theft of Blatz and Stroh’s beer from the back porches of our neighbors would not only increase my mental bandwidth, but my height, beauty and charm if only for the duration of that most wondrous amber fluid. Why, as each of my uniquely magnificent adventures came with a new chemical discovery that propelled my mind through the cosmos, I found that dreaming of exaltation in MENSA was quickly fading. Who needed MENSA, when one could self-anoint genius even godliness as a simple matter of fact? I was a deity in my own world and the need for applause much less recognition from the mentally diminished was unnecessary.

I was anything I wanted to be and more, for awhile anyway. How can I describe the rage when I realized that it was absolutely necessary that the masses must pay homage to their deity? Was I not the ONE? Was I not the answer to so many questions? I was it! Obviously, they had forgotten who I am, I cried. I am! I am! I am everything and no one heard me. I looked around at the thousands passing me on the streets; twelve, fifteen abreast, moving like the tide and no one stopped, no one looked at me, no one applauded. No one knew me and suddenly thirty five years had passed in the blink of an eye; I was alone.

So welcome MENSA member to this happy forum! I respect the human ego and its unlimited capacity for hilarity and particularly the practice of my loving friends here to display only tolerance and patience when so assaulted by such an immeasurable ego as you are so willingly open to share. Who knows, you might even get some well deserved homage from this most intimate of intercourse; cool huh?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm wondering what the point of "recovery" is.

The goal of recovery is in the journey, not the destination. Buckle up, you're in for a ride. What usually brings us to the "jumping off point"?

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
Ok, OK. So what's the point already??

The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.
What's all the spiritual stuff going to do for us? What do we have to gain by it?

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Despite popular misconceptions, Alcoholics Anonymous IS NOT A CULT. We're in a de-program to fix our otherwise messed up lives. AA is a design for living.