Notices

34 days

Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

34 days

I've been sober now for 34 days. Sometimes it seems like it has been longer. Geez. I'm very anxious with my life.
I'm learning how to live life without alcohol and it's almost like I have to learn how to "live" life again.
Missed AA last week, but I'll be there this Sunday. It's been good for me so far. I just get these crazy thoughts in my head about how pointless life is to begin with. Humans have been living and dying for millions of years and it's just the same thing over and over again. Somehow each of us think we are special.

I guess too many thoughts have been rushing through my pea brain!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time.....
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Take it easy on your brain! You are doing great with your sobriety...one day at a time....and Breathe!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats...I can't wait to get to 30 Days... day 9 right now.

IMT
Old 03-28-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Originally Posted by Spangdangler View Post
Geez. I'm very anxious with my life.
I'm learning how to live life without alcohol and it's almost like I have to learn how to "live" life again.
You said it all right there. At times I feel like I've been newly re-born and having to learn everything all over again. It's exciting and frustrating all at the same time. And definitely one of the most rewarding things I've done with my life in years!

Keep hanging in there, you're doing great!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Good job on your time.
I think its about quality of life. Not so much the quanity.
Although that is important too.
I have always tried to be a quality type person.
I just have to decide what is good quality now.
Hang in there and keep it up.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Enough of that negative self talk! Life isn't so bad. Chin up now!!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Congrats on your sober time.
Maybe the reason we are here is just to enjoy our lives.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Enough of that negative self talk! Life isn't so bad. Chin up now!!
I guess I did seem to come off negitive did'nt I. I suppose my real intent was to portray more of a philosophical view of life itself. I'm actually loving life sober. I wake up in the morning without my head all blurry and dizzy like. I'm not all bloated out anymore. It's great.

I have a question about AA and, maybe I should ask in a different thread , but perhaps someone knows the answer here. Why, every time you speak, do you have to mention your name and that your an alcoholic again. I mean, one time ...ok..yeah that's cool, but I'm not sure why over and over. Does that help people feel a sense of camaraderie with you, or does it reinforce your reason for being there? Last night was my 2 time going and I'm just noticing little things now.

Thanks,
Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My opinion/understanding is...

Yea, it reinforces your reason to be there... I'm Mark and I'm an alcoholic. First Step....

It helps me to remember other people's names... I like that. I have a home group that I really like going to... I want to remember their names!

Mark
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

have a question about AA and, maybe I should ask in a different thread , but perhaps someone knows the answer here. Why, every time you speak, do you have to mention your name and that your an alcoholic again. I mean, one time
I like, and agree with Marks answer, one thing I will throw out there though is that there is only one rule in AA and that is rule #62 which states that we should never take our selfs to seriously!!!!

If you do not want to say your name, or that you are an alcoholic don't! You do not have to say a single word if you don't want to.

That being said I I feel a sense of belonging in the group and I also feel introducing myself as an alcoholic an acknowledgement of who I am.... an alcoholic, but as some one else here says, I am so much more then that.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I like, and agree with Marks answer, one thing I will throw out there though is that there is only one rule in AA and that is rule #62 which states that we should never take our selfs to seriously!!!!
God is that the truth! Life is too short.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Since you are feeling philosophical and asking those questions about AA you might enjoy either of these books by Ernest Kurtz. The first one is an intellectual history about AA and the second can probably be better explained in Amazon.com reviews than I can do myself. I am pretty sure in both he talks about the philosophical reasoning for the repetition of the name and alcoholic status:

Not God by Ernest Kurtz
Spirituality of Imperfection by Ernest Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham

Another book I love that has no direct link with recovery but has helped me with those questions that you are talking about is by the existentialist philosopher Paul Tillich and called Courage to Be. I have definitely been wrestling with the pointless life issue for awhile although things have spun much more positively ever since I got sober so I totally understand how it sounds negative but isn't.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Leprechaun

Congratulations wishing you peace and serenity.

Peace,
Lep
Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratz
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
Since you are feeling philosophical and asking those questions about AA you might enjoy either of these books by Ernest Kurtz. The first one is an intellectual history about AA and the second can probably be better explained in Amazon.com reviews than I can do myself. I am pretty sure in both he talks about the philosophical reasoning for the repetition of the name and alcoholic status:

Not God by Ernest Kurtz
Spirituality of Imperfection by Ernest Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham

Another book I love that has no direct link with recovery but has helped me with those questions that you are talking about is by the existentialist philosopher Paul Tillich and called Courage to Be. I have definitely been wrestling with the pointless life issue for awhile although things have spun much more positively ever since I got sober so I totally understand how it sounds negative but isn't.
Awesome , thanks! I will check these books out.
Yeah, it all seems so simple...yet so complicated...he he...