Notices

I Prefer Compassion with my "Whine"

Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by IO Storm View Post
And this coming from a person with over 12,000 posts!

It is back to school for you Storm.
Day 1- Learn all the internet terms. I think this was a topic a few weeks ago.
IMHO this is key.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Fub!

I had to ask what IMHO was..think it was, (doesn't matter)...

I am done hijacking.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
I am trying really hard to stay out of this. I get myself in enough trouble.
But geez. We have had threads go on and on like this alot lately. And aside from anything else posted here. I believe this is an example of what the OP was talking about.
Why keep digging? Is it that important to get the last word?
Seriously.
I feel for you Bam. And I comepletely understand how you feel. Liek Is aid. I been there plenty times myself. But I do see what some of the others are saying.
I hope you dont take this wrong. Because I really dont want you to think I am trying to judge. I am not. You are just goin to make yourself crazy with all this. I know its easier said than done. But ignore is a good thing here.
I am not goin to take sides. But for me in my own experience as I told you before. Things cant grow if you dont feed them. So just let those replies that bug you roll off your back. I know its hard to do. Believe me. I dam near have to bite my tongue off to not say anything sometimes. But your not goin to get through to some people. No matter how many ways you make your point. And that goes for everyone on all sides.
So why keep goin round and round?
I hope you dont leave. I am not sure what set all this off for you. I am sorry something got you this upset.
So I want to know. Is there anything the ones that do show compassion to you can do to help you move forward and get past whatever is bothering you. Its gotta be more than just this topic. There are people here who will talk with you without the hard edge talk. Seek those people out Bam. Dont focus on the things that make you feel worse. Seek the solution to feel better. The people you know will help you get there. You understand what I am trying to say?
All this energy should be put toward finding a way to get Bam better.
You know I am here for you. I am not goin to rub your belly. But I will hug you when you need it. I will be your friend. And I will never make you feel less than. And I will always be honest in the best way possible.
I am one out of many others I know that are willing to do that.

Chiy, thank you so much.

You are right...I need to bite my lip and ignore. That's so very hard for me to do. No promises...but I can try.

It did feel really good to get this out, though. I really really needed to. I tend to keep things in and that doesn't help.

I want to thank the people for the PMs. I love you guys. I needed that.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

walking away before I get negative bye bye !
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. You are right, feelings run strong on both sides. It's just that I relate to the need for compassion. I've been working with a therapist for a while who does DBT. What this means is to look for the golden nugget in everything. When someone feels attacked (for lack of a better word - it's early here) it can actually be harder to do the deal. Some people are just wired to be sensitive, drinking or not. That is just some people's personality. Therefore, there is not a one size fits all approach. I'd recommend a book called The Highly Sensitive Person. It is part of one's personality not subject to change.

BTW, I am just speaking for myself in this post - not implying that Bam is an HSP.

I might be, Katie. I just don't know for sure. I guess I'll learn more the more help I get. I'll probably ask about it.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

One last thing for me to say, although I mentioned it briefly in a previous post that's now buried on this thread:

What got me "riled up" was when I was about 80 days sober and I was asking about something that had nothing to do with drinking/relapsing/recovery. The criticism was an attack on my character. Needless to say, especially considering the fact that I was opening up personally and reaching out for help, I became incredibly upset.

I know better now than to post really personal stuff.

I’ve learned so much about so many people who have posted to this thread. It’s good to know where folks stand. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I might be, Katie. I just don't know for sure. I guess I'll learn more the more help I get. I'll probably ask about it.
Good to see you back. All you have to do is google on highly sensitive person and there is a self test you can take and score. I've taken it several times and know for sure it applies to me. It's not a bad thing, rather a good thing. However, one has to be careful with regard to what one exposes oneself to. On this note, I am out of this thread as it's just not healthy for me to be here. Good luck! Bam and I do hope you stick around.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I almost feel that I should apologize for responding to this thread because it looks as if it is about to die a natural death.

But I did want to say something about MY experience. In AA (I know, I know, many are anti), there is a saying in the traditions "Principles before personalities". This has become a very important block in my recovery foundation. I have truly found that the more I can practice this principle the more I am IN recovery. The more that I have trouble with this principle, the farther OUT of recovery I am. If you work at it, you can find something valuable in something that almost every recovering addict/alcoholic says. But it is also very easy to see and focus on the differences. This does not help me to get well. It keeps me sick. Thinking that I am unique and different, keeps me isolated, alone and sick.

Again, I am speaking for myself. But I work VERY hard at this. Seeing myself as "unique" and "different" and "sensitive" is what allowed me to relapse 11 years ago and stay out there for a decade before I came back. I will NOT let that happen again.

I wish you peace and solid recovery, no matter what anyone else says or does in your life!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

ummm, guys....

:horse
Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
ummm, guys....

:horse

I wish I could hit that thank you button a hundred times.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have removed several posts from this thread and I may remove more.

We have a rule about bashing, flaming, baiting and it is not allowed on our forums. Please do not name another member and make negative comments about him or her. Use PM for that, if you need to do it.

This thread is really going nowhere, so it needs to get back on track or I can close it.