Notices

day 6 - need support

Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 6 - need support

i know i'm beginning to feel better, i know i can't just have one drink but i'm having a really hard time today. i thought the physical symptoms would be gone??? But i didn't sleep well last night, i'm on pins and needles and my husband has been a jerk all day.......he says he wants to support me through this but apparently that means as long as it doesn't affect him--as long as i'm always positive, support him when he's in a bad mood. i just can't do it today.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

:ghug3 Just remember you're staying sober for yourself, your own well being. I'm sorry hubby is being a jerk. Here's another hug to help you thru this rough patch.:ghug3
Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi New here but I find I just take things a day at a time. I find myself really annoyed with my husband alot of the time ... probably just mad at me. Depending on the time of day I just try to switch up my routine and do things differently. Congrats on 6 days!! That is awesome!!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there Lulukat.
I'm the same way...can't have just 1, I go way beyond it.
Don't do it for today, you'll be happy in the morning that you remained strong.
You can do!
Keep coming in here and talking to us, we're here for you.
By the way 6 days is a wonderful accomplishment.
Here is a loving hug for you my friend.
XOXO
Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there, well the good news is that it gets much better! The physical side of things ease off and the sleeping patterns return to normal, and everyday that you are sober is a day closer to being the person you want to be!

Keep being strong for yourself and keep coming back here it really helps. here have one of these :ghug3
Old 03-21-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lulu....I am 11 days sober and did my "own detox" which is not recommended by most,I had several go's at it so it was the basic shakes, sweats and dry heaves. My day 3 used to be the terror (make or break) as I have been a relapser. In the last 7 months I had been drinking everyday. I came to SR day one looking for info on what was going on with me as my body seemed to be ordering its own detox, being scared, knowing that there was no way I could punch my PIN number in if I were to get my morning wine (to kill the shakes of course)...I rode it out. I got some great advice here and it included Melatonin ...you can get at a GNC or health/vitamin place, probably drug store too.
It is all natural and helps you sleep...I kid u not, it takes alot to knock me out which had me scared too with over the counter...it really works and I continue to use it and have gotten a full 7 hours sleep without that maddening tossing, never really falling asleep and the mind going 120 mph....try it, keep coming back to post and CONGRATS!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hang in there my friend- it is absolutely possible to kick that bad addiction. the first part - as everyone has said, is tough. but the great thing is if you take control of your brain and body. just my opinion... i am going through the same crap.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just what i needed - thanks to all

I was so skeptical when I first came to SR but I am so thankful I have found you. After I sent my e-mail I actually did something positive --- I took my ipod, turned the volume on full and went for a walk. I feel alittle better. This is my third try since Christmas and I'm so afraid that I'm going to fail again. But, I think i'm ok for today. One hour and one day at a time, right? Thank God or whatever you believe in for all of you and SR. I'll check back in before the evening is done. Hugs to all.:ghug2
Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its just like a potato chip. You just cant have one. I know its tough at the beginning, tough in the middle, and tough at the end, but with everyday that goes by it seems to get a little bit easier, even if its only miniscule. 30 more mintues of good sleep, or 10 less minutes of craving. Just keep building on that and before you know it, you've got a solid foundation to work with. At least thats what i tell myself. I hated the restless sleep at the beginning. The dreams were so vivid it made me feel like I never really slept, but it did get better and it will for you too. Theres probably a few of us here that are night people and dont go to sleep til the early morning hours, so if you're having trouble sleeping, just kick on the computer and post. No worries.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lulu,

I'm so glad you found us.

Good for you for taking action and going for a walk. That will really help you with your recovery.

And, it's hard for others, like your husband, to really understand how hard this is. That's why we come here.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you for hanging in there...even if it is for a day and one hour at a time, each and every moment counts. I too, thank God (who I believe in) for this place and the people here...Not a day goes by that I don't think about how everyone is doing.
I even talk to hubby about this place...I find strength here (I hope it lasts ).
I am so happy your here....Hugs right back at you my friend :ghug3
XOXO
Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gllad to know you are mvoing forward...
Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

lulu,

Hang in there. Just because your day and your BF is not ideal it doesn't mean it has anything to do with your addiction. Sober people have bad days too, they just ride them out - without drinking or using.

Glad you are felling better.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Lulu,

I am going through the same in early recovery - everything is cool as long as I am happy like nothing is changing

I was so p.o.'d yesterday that I took my dog and went for a walk to clear my head also. One part of me thinks everything is amplified by the disease working its evil spell by playing mind games. Another part is sooooo confused. Does your hubby drink? Mine does - not like I did though, and all our social group drinks. I think he is afraid that everything will change.

Take care,
IMT
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

7 days now

thanks for all your support. what an amazing amount of wisdom is here! today was better than yesterday but still "edgy". i loved the quote re: alcohol is like potato chips - can't just have one. SO TRUE!!!! reply to its my time -- yes, my husband drinks. he drinks beer--there may be a problem there as he drinks every weekend, alone, at home, but he doesn't have black outs and i need to work on my own stuff right now. beer doesn't tempt me so i told him it didn't bother me if he drank it in front of me...but i didn't realize he was drinking about a six pack anytime he drank.

many of you said working out was helping so i'm starting by taking walks. it really does help with the edginess. i have a long way to go before i am back in shape and i'm trying not to be depressed and disgusted with myself about that.

so, one hour and one day at a time. hugs and good wishes to all as we travel down this road toward a healthy sober life.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, Lulu! Keep it in the present....one day at a time....sometimes one moment at a time. You can do this. SR can help.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Lulukat
Congratulations on 1st week, there is a thread dedicated to everyone who is quitting in March, hope you'll join us!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...irst-post.html
:ghug3
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there my friend...

I found early recovery most challenging...I had to trust what others' said that it does get easier...AND they were right...

You can do this...:ghug