Notices

I Know I'm Lucky - But Still I'm Scared

Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Know I'm Lucky - But Still I'm Scared

Thanks for your responses yesterday in my thread about getting my first DUI and how scared I am. I'm such a baby at people "yelling at me" or punishing me - I've never had so much as a parking ticket or a detention. One woman teased me at a meeting last night "Congratulations, you're a REAL alcoholic now."

I know that this is not the worst thing that could have happened, not by a long shot. I could have hurt or killed someone, or myself.

I'm trying not to think about the logistical nightmare my life is going to be the next year, or about all the money this is going to cost, because I know how my brain works and I will just overwhelm myself. I am basically trying to take it hour by hour. Does anyone know where I can get the 24 hour book online?

I am hoping this is the wake-up call that I needed, but I know that I can't say "this is it" until I have some time put together. For now I will say my sobriety date is 3-18-09 - is there a thread for "Class of March 2009" yet?
Old 03-21-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

sorry, not sure where you can get the book.

dui's are a tough lesson.

stay strong. and keep reaching out! k
Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry for your troubles! Hope you use this as a wake up call like you said, it can only get a lot worse. If you spot that march thread let me know, i will come along too!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about this. I'm a firm believer in the conviction that everything happens for a reason and that, even if it doesn't seem so on the surface, things happen as they should. Our responsibility is to pay attention to the "lessons" presented to us and move forward as we are meant to do.

I don't think that there is a "Class of March". I am a bit surprised, so why not start one? I'm sure you will have lots of company and I know that it is very helpful for those involved.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

I haven't seen a class of March thread.
Why don't you use the search function on the toolbar and if there isn't one start one.
My class thread is the biggest support on SR and it looks like the class of March is getting more members lately. Maybe yeahgr8 can be the teacher.
DUI's are terrible. I got mine in 1986 and learned my lesson to never drink and drive again after I took an eye opening course. Make this your last one even if you do drink again.

Good luck on your sobriety.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Big Book Online:

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear that you were teased at the meeting lastnight.
I hope your feeling better today...Hang in there and don't be so hard on yourself.
We are here for you.
XOXO
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yeah missed the teasing bit, just give her an affectionate name like 'two bob', so next time you see her say alright two bob. It's a UK term and very affectionate;-)

Fubar I found the march thread and my lesson will begin soon, it is a very specific one...'yeahgr8s guide to staying sober....for 5 months and 4 days'...someone else will have to take over after that lol
Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I believe this is what you are looking for:

Hazelden -- Twenty Four Hours a Day Hardcover (24 Hours)

Hazelden has lots of 'recovery books'.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-21-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, that's the book I was looking for! Thanks.

Day 4. I've been to four meetings. I'm actually feeling okay, all things considering. In a really weird way, I feel relieved. Every time I've relapsed, or more accurately, every time I've gotten "caught" I've always had this desperate feeling that things were never going to be better. And I don't feel like that right now. I'm scared, but I don't feel desperate or hopeless.