Notices

female question

Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

female question

Hi, I have an odd question. I have never posted on here, so will give some brief info on me:
I am 31 years old, married, no kids. For about the past year and a half, my husband and I have gradually gotten into a bad habit of drinking just about every night. I will have up to 4 glasses of wine, and he has like 6-7 beers. I can honestly say that I feel it's mostly been boredom, we'll use excuses like "American Idol's on! let's have a few!" anyway, we are at a point where we have decided that we want to start a family in the near future, both of us fully aware that the drinking will have to not continue as it has.
I have been on birth control pills for 7 years, and 2 months ago came off them. We have been using other birth control methods since then, as I am not ready to become pregnant quite yet, and want to make sure I have cycles on my own. It has now been 8 weeks, and I have not had a period yet. I wonder if it has anything to do with alcohol?
I am thinking it may be weight related also though, as I am 5'5 and 110#, and only about 18% body fat (per the scales at the gym), as I work out 3/week.
Just wondered if there are any women who have experienced an absence of menstruation related to alcohol use?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, but I would have liked to...

I remember being on the pill for many years and when I stopped it took several months before I started having regular periods and therefore took over a year before I got pregnant.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

nod, coming off the pill after being on it for a long time can throw your body out of whack. most OBGYNs will tell you not to worry until you've been off it for a year. When in doubt, though, go see your doc.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My cycles were never regular when I drank.. since I quit they have all been exactly 28 days.. no idea what that means or if it's even related. Also, my husband and I started trying to conceive about a month prior to me finally getting sober, and I was taking my temperature every day. The month or 2 of temperatures while I was still drinking, compared to the handful since I quit are shockingly different..

Might wanna ask your doc, I dont have experience with bcps, I know a lot of women take a while for a regular cycle. If you want to PM me, I can talk to you about temping, it's a blessing.. you know exactly where you are in your cycle, predict ovulation, fertility etc.. it's facinating..

And sorry if that was WAY too much info for some of you, about me
Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Feel free to visit the women's forum with this too. You might get a lot more answers there. I didn't btw.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Sorry - I'm no good on this question. But welcome to SR and I hope you are right that quitting drinking won't be a problem for either your spouse or yourself. Good luck with the wonderful adventure of having a family!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR.....

It's always a wise move to speak with your GYN
and be honest about your drinking.....therefore
you will know exactly what ..if anything...
needs attention.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know this is not what you wanted to hear.I am 39 yrs old.i started drinking when i was 30.Just like you i worked out and stayed in shape.I only drink at night while watching tv.Over the years the drinking has ruined my workouts.I never feel good anymore.
I am trying to quit.I never thought the drinking could take such a hold on me.Please stop or at least don't do it every night.Don't wait til the drinking takes over.