Notices

Bear's Friday Thoughts

Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bear's Friday Thoughts

I don't think I know any normal drinkers. If by history's definition of "NORMAL"
does not think about alcohol, has 1 or 2 stops, over indulges 1x or 2x per year, and does not drink very often. Just about everyone I know, at work or from my Tennis team, would be considered an alcoholic and probably does these things one every week or at least on the weekend. Maybe its weekend warrior syndrome.

I guess what I wanted to get your thoughts on is the proliferation of alcohol in modern day American culture. We are bombarded every day, in multiple ways, that drinking, often to excess is ok. Think about NFL Football and tailgating. How many games have you been to where most people were overindulging, let alone how many commercials, sponsorships, are alcohol related. I think we are setting ourselves up for more and more problems. With the economy tanking and modern stresses, it would seem that America is telling Americans, that alcohol is the answer.

Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I know most of my friends have flat out alchohol problems, they either deny it, or don't care, I just knew I had a problem and want more out of life than just loading that gun waiting to get a dwi, miss work too many times, or end up in the hospital "sorry sir you have cancer" I know how it is though, you work hard and play hard. If you drink hard just try to not drink and drive and I am not just talking about that day. Think Very hard about how drunk you maybe when you wake up.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Booze merchants have been saying alcohol is the answer ever since biblical times. It's nothing new really. The times are only what one makes of them. If you're footing in serentity, sobriety and identity are secure then there's no fear of being swayed into any form of debauchery.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol is all around us but we can choose not to give in to it.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When I quit.. I found out that more and more of my "real" friends (not bar friends or past drinking buddies) had absolutely no problem with alcohol.. the fact that I did freaked them out and it was foriegn to them. I can't think of anyone that I know *now*, that I enjoy spending time with that drinks more than once a month, if at all, and I wasn't even SEEKING non drinkers .. it's weird, looking at from this side of it now (sobriety's side). Often I'm out at places I used to drink at, restaurants like Chili's or Applebees and look around and maybe 3 or 4 people are drinking out of the whole place, I NEVER noticed that before!

But you're right.. there's lots of advertising going on, it's a very lucrative business for sure. I'm really happy not to be contributing anything to it to keep it going!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryBear2009 View Post

I guess what I wanted to get your thoughts on is the proliferation of alcohol in modern day American culture. We are bombarded every day, in multiple ways, that drinking, often to excess is ok.
While I became dependent/addicted to pills, I almost never miss them... I always knew on some level that it was wrong/unhealthy...

Recovering from alcohol has presented me with many challenges though... often because of that constant bombardment... "Drinkability" "Liquid Happiness"... Cold frosty mugs of beer next to whatever food is advertised... It all looks so good, which is exactly what the advertisements want me to think/feel. I am glad I live in a state where alcohol isn't sold in every grocery store and gas station...

But like KenL said, a good healthy program of recovery makes us immune.

I don't drink much milk, don't like it... so why don't those commercials rattle my cage??

Mark
Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryBear2009 View Post
I don't think I know any normal drinkers. If by history's definition of "NORMAL"
does not think about alcohol, has 1 or 2 stops, over indulges 1x or 2x per year, and does not drink very often. Just about everyone I know, at work or from my Tennis team, would be considered an alcoholic and probably does these things one every week or at least on the weekend. Maybe its weekend warrior syndrome.

I guess what I wanted to get your thoughts on is the proliferation of alcohol in modern day American culture. We are bombarded every day, in multiple ways, that drinking, often to excess is ok. Think about NFL Football and tailgating. How many games have you been to where most people were overindulging, let alone how many commercials, sponsorships, are alcohol related. I think we are setting ourselves up for more and more problems. With the economy tanking and modern stresses, it would seem that America is telling Americans, that alcohol is the answer.

Thoughts?
What I noticed, similar to flutter, was that most of the people I know didn't drink as much as I thought they did. I try not to analyze or 'figure out' if anyone else has a 'drinking problem', but if they happen to ask for my opinion, will be happy to share.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The entertainment industry has always glamorized drinking alcohol, just like it used to glamorize smoking cigarettes. I've been sober for 18 months and still haven't figured out what people do when they get together if they don't drink. The only way I was ever comfortable around people outside of a business relationship was by drinking and I'm sure a lot of that came from watching tv and movies and wanting part of that "glamor" of the daily cocktail or such. The people I associated with before were all heavy drinkers if not alcoholics and we just don't have anything in common anymore.

J
Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

Yah coke tastes different without the whisky in it. They should suggest that when they advertise. They love to merge with other products, it helps the American People "unwind" they say.