Notices

mind like a race track when will it settle

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mind like a race track when will it settle

hi all i have been sober now i month 2 weeks 5 days ,,but im sick of my mind raceing away all the time, like haveing bad thoughts and just not being able to settle and it also makes me so moody at times and i am very snappy and feel so frustrated because i just want to get back to normal and all these horrid feelings to go away ..its like there is a good life out there but i can reach out an touch it at the moment ,,the only peace i get is when i am asleep ...does anyone else get this or had this in early recovery

cheers all
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry you are having difficulties...I did too..

By the end of 2 months of AA recovery
I felt back in balance physically and mentally.

I also had been following a healthy eating plan
and taking vitamin supplements.

You may not be aware of PAWs

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Please keep in focus....you too can recover
...Well done on your sober time.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ended up sleeping a lot. I know that isn't a real answer but even now after almost two years, sometimes when my mind starts racing I eat some healthy carbs and take a nap. Often it helps reset my mind.

Be kind to yourself, it takes time to feel better again.

I have come to accept that I have to take care of me so that I can be the best person I can be.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

butch, i think its almost a requirement! lol

the good news, bad news bit...

it does go away with time, and that time is different for everyone...

hope yours aint the long time one...

and for me, i believe, it can be quicked up with the help of a good recovery program...

good wishes butch...

rz
Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea, like the others said...

It took about 3 months or so for me... I had to recover from pills and alcohol dependency for many years.

Are you in AA or some kind of recovery program, it helps alot... Like Carol said... by the end of 2 months of AA recovery... Also, exercise, reading, eating right, avoiding any kind of mind altering chemicals (over the counter meds...)

It will get better, have faith!

Mark
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well let me chime in! LOL

In early recovery the worse times were when I was alone, one reason was my last 5 years of my drinking were done ALONE so I was doing the exact same thing but NOT drinking so when I was alone I thought I would go CRAZY with everything spinning around in my head.

What helped me the most in the early months of my recovery was going to AA meetings, talking to AA folks on the phone, doing things with friends and family, etc. The less I was ALONE the better off I was.

The AA meetings helped more then anything because they gave me hope in numerous ways.

1. They let me know that I was not ALONE!

2. They let me know that what I was going through was normal, they knew it was normal because they had gone through it them selfs.

3. They let me know that it would get better with time and they shared with me what they had done to get through it and get better.

It is not easy no matter how one tries to do it. I will say this, I never stayed sober every time I tried to quit drinking alone with no program and no support group.

AA made all the difference in the world for me.

I would suggest that you find some type of program and support group to help you through this
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

same here

Been going through this big time the last little while, but I have been drinking also.

It is part of recovery and all those memories jolted me back to reality to make the decision to say goodbye to alcohol for good this time.

Take care,