Notices

having a tough day staying off the drink

Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

having a tough day staying off the drink

My body is craving alcohol badly today- more so than usual- I am hanging in, but struggling again really bad with anxiety and nervousness. so much going on in my life has me so anxious I feel like exploding. i havent successfully quit yet, had 2 glasses of wine last night which wasnt a good idea because i really want to completely quit. Since coming to this site i have had a couple of days off here and there but the shakes and anxiety overtook me (after several years of 6-10+ drinks per day). I believe I will exercise on my bike or something... just needed to tell someone how strong this crazy feeling is. I am really trying this time.
Dub
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Stay strong, call your doc if you feel worse. Be gentle with the exercise.. maybe a slow walk somewhere
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hey dub,
I know what you are going through. But I have to tell you from my experience, until you quit completely and detox totally, you will continue to feel the anxiety, nervousness, impending doom feeling, etc. In my opinion, you are torturing yourself with the 2 glasses.

Your disease is going to give you a run for your money. I would encourage you to do what you need to do to quit completely. Once I did, it was only then that I began to feel better until all of those feelings left me within a month. I thought I needed medication for anxiety. Nope, just needed to get sober.

Wishing you the best.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
eng.

We are alcoholics = crazy people . Staying sober for 24h is the best think you can make , you can do it
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks folks- I am riding a stationary bike and its helping. i appreciate you all
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

In my opinion, in order to get off the alcohol, once and for all, you have to completely stop. Having a few glasses of wine here and there is torture. Some of us, including myself, had to go into detox for a safe, medically supervised detox off the alcohol. Unsupervised detox can be very dangerous, I had seizures when I tried to stop on my own. I highly encourage you to get with your doctor, or if you don't have one, go to the emergency room. Not only are you supervised, but they will give you meds to make the withdrawal not so horrible.

Most hospitals anymore don't have specific detox/treatment units, but if someone is going through a medical emergency such as detox, they almost have to admit you. And if for some reason they don't, they will more than likely give you something to take at home for the first several days. And don't let lack of insurance keep you from going (if this may be a concern) I have been to detox more times than I care to admit, but hospitals do have either reduced billing or in some cases, if your income is low enough, they will write off the charges. I know because I never had insurance and the bills were written off. Even if you have to pay something, as long as you are paying $10 a month, without missing a payment, there is nothing they can do to you as far as sending the account to collections. And we all spent more than $10 a month when we were drinking.

If you insist on not getting medical help, please have someone with you for the first 3 or 4 days. There is usually no warning before you have a seizure. Am I trying to scare you? I guess I am. Alcohol withdrawals are serious. But the life that is possible after you get clean and sober is one that words cannot begin to describe. Just get through today, then worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise is good.....

I was in rehab for 28 days
as a result of my family
stepping in to help me when
I couldnt help myself stop
drinking.

During my stay i walked
around a track and we had
other outside activities to
help get those toxins out
of my system.

While i was away, my spouse
at that time took all the liquor
out of the house and anything
that would remind me or tempt
me to drink.

If it wasnt in the house and
because i was in early early
recovery with mood swings
still up and down, if i got
low and was on my pity pot,
then i wouldnt have alcohol
there to drink....

In that case i would have to
do something else to calm
myself down.....

Meetings were top priority
because i didnt have to
be alone and i could be
surrounded by others just
like me going thru the same
thing.

My family were not alcoholics
nor had problems with drinking
so they were no help to me....
They were just as confused
at my behavior before and
after alcohol.

Look in the phone book or
here online for AA/NA meetings
in ur area....there is always
someone on the phones to
help u and guide u and pick
u up if necessary to bring
u to a meeting.....

Dont be ashamed or shy
because those answering
the phones r just like u and
I....they r doing service
work by answering the phones
in order to stay sober them-
selves.

Drink lots of fluids....vitamines
are good, exercise.....and
because we have abused our
systems for so long, our
chemical embalance maybe
off.....

So if u r dealing with anxiety
and depression then see
ur doctor and let him or
her know u r in recovery and
that u need help, but do not
prescribe anything narcotice
or habit forming.

Hope these suggestions help
you.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I replaced alcohol with chocolate in the beginning ( I gained 20 pounds but that's better than the alternative) and it really worked for me.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BKP

Yah putting forth time towards exercise makes me feel 100 times better about life, my outlook on others and my mindset.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks folks -
to update you all, I did quit on this past Sunday and on Tuesday morning had a major anxiety (almost heart) attack and had to go to ER- as I felt really weird and checked my blood pressure at home- it was 200/119. They put me in trauma room for 4 hrs- had a reaction of some kind and had to defibrillate me, pulse got down to 37 beats per minute. So the Dr supervision thing is very real. I told them the story on quitting- and they gave me anti-anxiety meds for 10 days to get through this-I am committed. and I really am trying very hard to get it to zero drinking. I'm getting close to closing this deal. Thanks again
Dub
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
BKP

Wow. Glad you are making it day by day with your health and hope nothing but the best through it.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you went to the ER and got the help you needed.

I do agree with others who said that until you quit completely, you'll be bothered with withdrawl symptoms.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One thing that helps me is to try and schedule my day in advance. For example...tomorrow I will go to the park for at least an hour. I will visit my gmother. Sometimes I even write down people I will call during the day. Just thinking ahead like that helps me keep my mind occupied. Goodness knows the last thing I need is time to think too much.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good advice friends!
i have a major job interview next week and am going to take it really easy so i dont go into full blown shakes etc- then after i get the job (hopefully- i have a good shot) i have at least 6 weeks before i start. thats when i am hitting the zero number. i know what happened this past tuesday with the ER and I cant afford to be in a state of detox for this job interview- but definitely will not be hungover- believe me on that one.
Dub
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you got medical help. You CAN do this. And we're all here with you, encouraging you and keeping you company. Don't give up. Your life will get better without alcohol. I promise.:ghug3