Notices

Advice needed from those at a low place

Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed from those at a low place

Allmost all of you aren't at this point, but I am at a new bad place. I was laying on the bathroom floor (by my choicej; I woke up early before work) at the foot of the shower the other day and took a large drink (not swig) to accomplish the BEGINNING of the day. Classes were out.

What a change for the realtionship with my disease!

Wow! I've read about addicts drinking in the morning before, but never understood it. Not being able to leave my apartment without shaking and feeling out of my head... This week, (I am a teacher) I am on Spring Break and my legs are aching enough to keep me from sleeping even though I have been stayng in bed!

I am digging (not sinking) further. I know the First Rule of Holes is to stop digging.

Many say to call the AA line and get to meetings. I do not think I could spend more than ten minutes without freaking out. I have been to 30 or so meetings five years ago. I cannot remember someone leaving or having a problem...

I have be a serial-restarter here and do not want to wear anybody out, but how do I start when I can barley take the trash out?

cc
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, you know it's all much of a muchness really and i'm not trying to belittle your pain at all, but whether it's on the bathroom floor, by the bed, outside somewhere, in a $2000 a night hotel i don't think booze really cares where we end up!

Sounds to me like a detox (supervised is a great start). Definitely go to the doctors before trying to stop!

I went to an alcohol counselor, got on antabuse and anti depressants (am off both of them now). I still go to counselling twice a week and have been sober 5 months.

Sounds to me like you already know that AA will work for you and you want some of what the people had that you met there. Why not call them? I have a friend who does AA and he takes calls from people like us and you would think it is someone calling to tell him he's won the lottery, honestly you will be answered by someone who knows how to help you and wants to help you!

Time for action, you have had enough, maybe drank your fill already for this lifetime? Time to do something less boring instead;-)

Wish you the very best and keep coming here, you will get loads of help!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by llenroc66 View Post
I have be a serial-restarter here and do not want to wear anybody out, but how do I start when I can barley take the trash out? cc
One baby step forward to get someone to help you to carry it.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

damm, i remember the bathroom floor day...

as mentioned, sounds like detox time, and then a good recovery program your comfortable with and works...

and the kind that works, is one that takes work, whatever it be...

good wishes 66
Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

how do you start?

No matter how much we talk about it......life can only get better if you stop..

First get to a doctor......you are probably gonna need medical intervention to cope with withdrawal...or at least ask him what he/she thinks..
But you got to be 100% honest about your drinking.

Go back to AA......you dont have to be not drinking to go...if you have the desire to stop thats enough.

ask a member of AA to visit you when you are de.toxing at hospital or at home...
Once the fog lifts......get a sponsor and work through the twelve steps as outlined in the big book.

Im not gonna dress it up......detox can be tough.....but a week and you should start to feel better....

This is only my experience and it worked for me........

There are others here that use different methods/programmes....check them out...do some searching through other threads and see what you think.

It would be a great start if you continue to come to s.r.....there is a world of support and advice here......soak it up.

god be with you....trucker
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ditto

Originally Posted by llenroc66 View Post
Allmost all of you aren't at this point, but I am at a new bad place. I was laying on the bathroom floor (by my choicej; I woke up early before work) at the foot of the shower the other day and took a large drink (not swig) to accomplish the BEGINNING of the day. Classes were out.

What a change for the realtionship with my disease!

Wow! I've read about addicts drinking in the morning before, but never understood it. Not being able to leave my apartment without shaking and feeling out of my head... This week, (I am a teacher) I am on Spring Break and my legs are aching enough to keep me from sleeping even though I have been stayng in bed!

I am digging (not sinking) further. I know the First Rule of Holes is to stop digging.

Many say to call the AA line and get to meetings. I do not think I could spend more than ten minutes without freaking out. I have been to 30 or so meetings five years ago. I cannot remember someone leaving or having a problem...

I have be a serial-restarter here and do not want to wear anybody out, but how do I start when I can barley take the trash out?

cc
i had started drinking in the morning to, one b4 i take son to school, then when i get back home, when i am getting ready for work and then tend to have a drink every hour during the day, whilst at work, i keep telling myself that i will stop when alcohol runs out, but i dont. i am having 3-4 days a week now where i cant function, anxiety, crying, vomiting, not able to leave house without sweating. i had a coil fitted today and i nearly passed out cos i am going thru withdrawal. but to be honest that was the icing on the cake, what sort of life do i have, ill for half the week then tipsy-drunk for the remainder.

one day at a time, this is my second day of recovery (i am having 2 drinks a day until the withdrawal lessens)

will be thinking of you hun xx :praying
Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

llenroc66 been there and done that, came too in the woods one time, stood up and fell down about 5 or 6 times before I was finally able to manage to walk.

Whether you want to do AA or not, I would suggest getting a doctors appointment and then call the AA hotline in your area and arrange for some one to take you to the doctor.

I am in AA and can tell you quite honestly that one of the things that helps me stay sober is helping a fellow alcoholic find sobriety, giving them a ride to see a doctor, a ride to a meeting, talking to them on the phone and even being their sponsor if they want.

When you see the doctor be totally honest about how much you drink, for how long, and what happens to you when you drink, do not sugar coat it. Follow your doctors suggestions.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey i no where your comin from
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have to want to stop drinking for yourself, you have to decide you want to live. Chances are you can not gain sobriety on your own. I've seen people walk out of AA meetings, and the first few times I went I wanted to walk out fast, heck it took all my energy just to get me out of the car and walk in the door. But once I walked in the door and listened to people talk I knew I was home. And I will never forget leaving a lunch time meeting one day a few minutes early, I'd only been going about a month, and this young woman stopped me to say "thank you" to me. My immediate thought was she had me confused with someone else, as she told me that when I had spoken up at a meeting the week before I had given her the encouragement or strength to come back. Knowing that I could help someone just by sharing some of my story made my day/week/month...wonderful!
You can do this.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I drank in the mornings too, and at the time, I was so messed up, it didn't seem like a big deal. Denial is amazing!!

Please talk to your dr and take the small step of not drinking today. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you are at a low point, but you can do this!