Notices

contolled addiction ! is ther such a thing ?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

contolled addiction ! is ther such a thing ?

I am an addict ... the past 21 years my addictions have ranged from cannibis alcohol heroin crack cocaine amphetamines an abusive long term relationship.. thankfully ... 6 years ago i had the strength to give up the heroin and crack ... 3 years ago the relationship .... i also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis . i am currently using amphetamines which i inject daily .... tbh it motivates me so much more than the opiate based painkillers the doctors want tto prescribe for me daily . . u see i dont get why its ok to be a prescription junkie but not do what i do ! i take my amphetamines in a controlled manner much the same way as i would take a prescription from a doctor . i settle down to sleep at around 3-4 oclock an have a joint to send me off to sleep ... it works for me .. the painkillers they just dope me up all the time an i lack less motivaTION than i already have !!! i want to have given up this addiction by the time im 40 .. i need help an guidance . where do i start ?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Which addiction do you want to give up - the amphetamines (which are not prescribed to you) or the marijuana?

If you want to stop using the drugs, a good thing to do is to talk to your dr. It might be possible that some otc painkillers would help.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Might make sense to totally detox (with medical supervision) and start from scratch to deal with your medical issues. Whether it's controlled or not.. it's just not healthy..IMHO
Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Hi,

Which addiction do you want to give up - the amphetamines (which are not prescribed to you) or the marijuana?

If you want to stop using the drugs, a good thing to do is to talk to your dr. It might be possible that some otc painkillers would help.
talkin to my dr may not be an option ..
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Might make sense to totally detox (with medical supervision) and start from scratch to deal with your medical issues. Whether it's controlled or not.. it's just not healthy..IMHO
talking to my dr may not be an option
Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If medication is prescribed and used as it was intended to be used, it's not an addiction. It may mean that someone can become dependent on a particular medication and may even need to keep using it to avoid serious withdrawal symptoms (sometimes... death).

I used stimulants for quite some time. I did not go to a doctor, I didn't inject them and had pretty much justified using them... But using stimulants as I did lead to heavy alcohol and sleeping medication use. When I finally stopped the stimulants, I found the alcohol and sleeping meds impossible to stop on my own.

With all the dependency and addiction issues I had with the substances I was taking, I had developed lots of justification (reasons, legit, in my own mind....) to keep using them. I had to break that thought pattern before I stood a chance.

I didn't have potentially serious medical conditions and the only issue for me was to get clean and sober... but because there were three different substances I had become dependent/addicted to, let's just say it wasn't easy and it took lots of help. I am pretty sure I couldn't have done it on my own.

With your situation, you have cross addictions/dependency. Stimulants are a bitch because many people miss them when they are gone (I did). You have a chronic painful medical condition which will need some type of ongoing pain management. Sleep has become an issue for you and may find insomnia a problem

You want off all that crap, especially the pot and IV meth... GET PROFESSIONAL HELP. And... you gotta want it...

Just my two cents.... Keep posting.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i dont take the meth any more the meth was my way off heroin .. been off heroin 6b years an meth 5 years . which is why i dont wana become addicted to painkillers .. the amphetamines motivate me .. an i have no problems in sleepin i may have an alcohol issue if i continue the way i am goin tha nk u for ur input
Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sorry, I meant the IV amphetamines... Is it the pot that enables you to sleep?

You may have legitimate medical reasons to take some (and some might say all... medical marijuana/chronic pain...) of the substances you are. Your use of them will be indeed legitimate, and safer, if you continue to use them only under medical supervision. (although IV amphetamines, well, I bet you'll not find a doctor willing to oversee that...)

But if you are worried about becoming addicted to ONE of them, you need to understand the effect that all the others have... That's what I was trying to say... I was worried about ONE of them (the stimulants), but the house of cards I built came tumbling down after I stopped them.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool

I think part of the problem here may be the use of tenses (for the verbs).....

In one place you state....:

"...i dont take the meth any more the meth..."

...yet in other places you say....:

"...the amphetamines motivate (present tense) me..." ......and

"... i am currently using (obviously present tense) amphetamines which i inject daily..."

............or perhaps it is that you don't understand that meth and amphetamines are the same thing.....?

I totally and absolutely agree with Cubile75 when he's stated.....:

"...If medication is prescribed and used as it was intended to be used, it's not an addiction..."

Did I not read that you used the amphetamines to get off heroin...? I doubt any physician prescribed that; I've not heard of using them in that way (but then who am I to know; I went the old-fashioned way-----CT ..... grrrrr

Ya know, CaTzZ, when I first read the title of this thread...: Controlled Addiction.....I really had to laugh; what immediately jumped to mind was uh oh, just like military intelligence, another oxymoron....LOLOL

....BUT seriously here for a sec. I see that you are worried about becoming addicted to painkillers, and yes there's definitely a possibility of that; just like there's a possibility of you're becoming addicted to your marijuana and amphetamines. Just remember, there's a difference between a person's physical dependence on certain meds, and they're becoming an addict (at least the kinda addict I was....) ...... (o:

I'm suffer chronic pain, and unlike some folks here on this Message Board, at my age, after trying most of the non-narcotic meds, all the massages and physical therapy, tens units (sp?).....etc., etc., etc., I've finally resignes myself to the fact that if I want to function (and not very high functioning---u know, just out of bed and to the bathroom; that sometimes is the thrill of my day...lol), well, I take a number of different meds.....all prescribed by a physician, and taking them as prescribed. I usually rotate their usage so as not to go into WD's if I accidentally run out (which has happened a couple of times-----NOT fun).....

So.....I AM a RECOIVERED addict; I meds as prescribed; and YES, my body does usually become dependent on them, from time to time, but NO, I do NOT consider myself an addict (and like I said earlier, NOT an addict like I used to be).

Just before I close, I do want to say, that you really should be going through this with a doctor/an addictionologist); taking ANY kind of meds, if we were in the past addicts, can be very dangerous---a slippery slope. In a couple of months I will be celebrating 23 years clean/sober (whatever your shoice of term). BUT, in early recovery, it's always best to have a good support group surroinding you; folks you can bounce ideas off of-----who will tell you like it is and not cosign your BS......... (o:

So, for now, I leave you, CaTzZ, with all my good thoughts and good wishes, and I hope to keep seeing around this board for a good while to come.

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86

P.S. Sorry for the typos, misspellings, etc.....I seem to be more filled with more @#$%*^$ than in the past and I just ran out of energy
Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

NoelleR - Thanx - You got exactly what it was I was trying to say!!

Mark
Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

u will have a problem with drink if you carry on with amphetamines as i did, i needed the drink to calm me down when i was taking amphetamines as sometimes my heart was racing and felt that couldnt concentrate on day to day tasks. have stopped the amphetamines and now trying to stop the drink
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

With the exception that I still feel that the term 'controlled addiction' to be an oxymoron, if you considered the definition of the term to be, say, 1-3 units per day (or whatever time-frame), or only using at certain times (like only after 5pm or or only on weelends.....well, I guess one could consider that I actually do 'controlled addiction' ---- I do 0, at all times; total abstinence might just fit into a definition of 'controlled addiction' ----- eh..?

NoelleR

P.S. ....sorry, just joshin; I couldn't resist.