Notices

5 Days Sober, first social event

Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Tipsy,

Glad to know that you have made it back to SR. I just want to third Dee's and Anna's advice. Everything changed the day I accepted I was an alcoholic and left the ring fighting alcohol. That was the day that what drinking meant to me changed. I stumbled over the word alcoholic and it kept me back a long time (and was totally needless, might I add). Once I accepted I was not normal, I was not like other people who could 'just have 1', everything changed. My humble advice would be to not let the word alcoholic juke you out and rob you of the opportunity to make a really powerful decision to take back whatever control alcohol is exerting over your life.

I'm challenged to think of even 2 or 3 other things that I have done in the last 10 years that have had such a profound impact _and as immediately_ as giving up the drinking has.

I've been sober 4 months, and just speaking to my experience, I am generally avoiding the usual drink-fests. Since becoming sober and not going out every evening/weekend, I've had a huge surge in available time to pursue my interests. Quite handy. The bottom line is I am putting my sobriety first and foremost, and if some friendships suffer a little bit or I have to miss out on a few things in order to retain my sobriety, I am willing to pay that entrance fee. It's worth it 100% (says me!).

I appreciated your closing sentence; it was very apt and potent. 'Drinking is DEFINITELY not the way for me to go.' That pretty much sums it up, for me. I wish you nothing but incredible luck and strength on your journey!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

wich, thanks for that. Definitely helps to put things in my mind right. I will be heading along to my first meeting tonight, am completely nervous and anxious about it.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good luck tipsy. I am sure it'll be a smashing success, all the way. Keep us in the loop on how it goes, k?

Peace.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tipsytoangry View Post
Greetings to all. First time poster, minor time reader!

Just want to say that this forum has been great to stumble across, really puts certain things into perspective for me.

So, as my handle suggests, I've always been an aggressive drinker which came to a head this past weekend with an explosion of verbal abuse to my partner and a few very close friends. I wish this was a once off, but unfortunately this has been occuring for a few years now.

I have decided to quit drinking and seek counselling for the depression and anxiety i have. So, with this in mind, I thought i may ask a couple of questions being new to recovery:

1. The first of many social events is around the corner and I am wondering how people deal with these situations. Is it easier to not go? Only stay awhile etc?

2. Is it too soon to meet up with the partner only after a week? I had made the call that we should not see each other for awhile until I cleared and took care of myself first.

I know I'm a little lite on detail, but as my shame falls, I will discuss more openly. And again, great forum.
I would definitely stay away if it is alcohol unless it is family. I am in the Burning Man communtiy which requires a high frustration tolerance for people using alcohol and soft drugs like weed. My community is very supportive for my recovery.

However, you have not work the steps yet and therefore, you will be susceptible to relapse if you around alcohol for a prolonged period of time, I choose to stay away from social settings that involved alcohol until I had about 4 months.

The key thing is that you are going to work steps to be around alcohol and soft drugs for prolonged periods of time. You also need to ensure that people are not pressuring to drink and are supportive for our recovery. You need to know deep down inside that alcohol is no solution for your life. You also need to know the AA prayers to handle difficult emotional situtations that may occur because alcohol. If you are in social settings that involve a high level of emotional drama and where alcohol and soft drugs are present, stay away even if you have significant time. My socials setting tend to be very supportive and loving groups of friends and where there is little drama.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Guys, day nine and feeling great.

Have been to my first meeting which was a discussion which was v.interesting.

Am definitely on the right path to keeping the past in the past and walking on to a new future.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your 9 days, Tipsy

D