Notices

Daniel Amen & the Brain..

Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Daniel Amen & the Brain..

I just saw a DVD of daniel Amen, and I have to say, the man has some seriously good points.

They showed brain scans of peoples brains after all kinds of addictions, I was surprised and shocked to see what alcohol can do.

Even the people who had ingested meth, cocaine, and heroine, did not have HUGE chunks of the brain under low activity. The brain of an alcoholic looked by far the worst. If there's one program I can offer that you all watch, it is anything Daniel Amen. The man knows what he's talking about.

I have ADD, have been an Alcoholic for 8 years, and had a severe head injury as a child (cracked her right open!).

He explained that ADD people suffer from what you could call "Inverted brain function", They scanned brain activity of someone with ADD at rest, and there was far more going on rather than when concentrating. Generally meaning that the harder I try to do a task, while under stress, the LESS brain activity is occuring. That explains a hell of a lot to me. He also explained that there are different types of medication/ and or natrual substitutes for ilnesses, BUT if the wrong illness is diagnosed, the wrong treatment will be given, thus rendering the patient into an undesirable state, IE- making the condition worse. The difference between Ritalin and another ADD medication is a Psyche ward!!

He also made a program for TV in 1999 called "The truth about drinking".
They took a 22 year old male alcoholic, scanned his brain while sober, and then got him drunk on national TV and scanned it again. The lad's brain while SOBER was that of a 60 year old man, whom had never had a history of substance abuse. The scan taken while drunk can't have been any better. The whole experience actually scared him sober, and apparently he has'nt drank since.

I found the program to be enlightening, as I had NO idea about these theories before, and now I've seen it, it make a HELL of a lot of sense.

People keep saying Love yourself, I can honestly say as well as he does, Love your BRAIN!!

Again, his name is Daniel G Amen, and the website is
(can't post you guys a link... haven't enough posts!)
amenclinics dot com

Thouroughly worth at least a look.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:ghug

Thank you!! I love information! There is some controversy when it comes to Amen. I would suggest caution whenever looking at medical studies.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/op...steinberg.html

An interesting article I read in conjunction with looking for information on Amen.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do he say if the problem is permanent or can it get better through recovery?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

That's a good read SOBER4ME...
I had actually read about a similar experement on the net a few weeks back. Exactly the same thing, however, it didn't mention that excercise could also re-stimulate the genesis of brain cells.

Excercise seems to be a constant catalyst in these types of experement, and in similar studies.

Apparently half an hour a day, four days a week, is enough to see great differences in the Re-learning procedure in adults with histories of binge drinking.

It's pretty awsome though, that even simple experiments with rats can teach us about our own behaviour!

Thanks SOBER4ME!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I suggest looking at a wide array of studies and doing alot of research. Some studies can contradict others, so on and so forth. But thans for sharing this!

Peace.