Notices

hungrey all the time!!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hungrey all the time!!

yay coming up five weeks but Im so hungrey! Granted I didnt eat when I was drinking am I making up for lost time? an bang goes my hope of losing weight Just wanting to know is this normal chomping all day??
Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah it is normal, we not talking 10 big macs a day here right?! hehe

After 5 weeks, it's great to have thoughts of losing weight, getting fit, stopping smoking, new clothes etc. but IMO, been sober 5 months so still very fresh, don't bother acting on any of them for now just keep working on your sobriety and be good to yourself. You have years left if you stay sober, all that time to put yourself through hellish diets and hard work out regimes...just not today:-)
Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Totally normal.. I thought (when i was drinking) "wow if I didn't drink I would be SKINNY!", what I didn't realize is that really my only calories were alcohol and most days I wouldn't eat due to feeling hungover, anxious, or preferring to drink away the hunger.. I was starving myself. So yep, now sober for a few months and I've gained around 10 pounds.. sugar cravings kicked in, but have mostly subsided at this point. Much more time at the gym, and focusing on all areas of my health. Thought also that quitting drinking would fix most things in my life.. but guess what? Life still happens. Gotta take care of yourself
Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I gained weight in the first few months, when my appetite returned I was ravenous. I would up being becoming very lean when things balanced out. I have heard many people say that for most people their body weight tends to become more in the normal range. This may have a lot to do with leading a healthier lifestyle including eating habits. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

Congrats on your sobriety!!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes our bodies time to come back into balance, different time for different people. Try to eat healthy and drink lots of fluids, sweets for cravings, things will get back to normal eventually, this time without the poison.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to see ya, angie! hugs, k
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sounds totally normal to me Ang, we talk about this often on SR. I munched so heavily for my first four years of sobriety, mostly sweets, and put on 30lbs in no time.

A couple months ago my fiance and I started Weight Watchers together. I've lost 22lbs so far, but the biggest difference for me is noticing how much better I feel as a result of making healthier choices in my eating habits.

Eat as healthy as possible Ang, but stay focused on your sobriety for now. You can work harder on the diet later
Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't worry about it.. 5 or 6 small sensible meals a day is what is recommended with an exercise program..
Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm starting my third week today, and eatin like a horse. I think I'm become a BA. Brownie Addict, lol
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im finding that a regular exercise program is doing wonders for my recovery, feel so good after a great workout that I don't feel like drinking afterwards, until a couple of hours have passed then I get the urge to drink something, for the last 3 days that something has been an Ice Cold Glass of water!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been eating like a pig since I quit drinking.

I never liked sweets or deserts much when I drank, but now I chomp down a few candy bars a day, and my day isn't complete without pie and ice cream now.

Kinda strange, but I haven't gained a pound, probably cuz I drank mega quantities of beer.

The junk I'm eating hasn't affected my weight, I'm still pretty normal for my height (6 foot 180lbs).

I figure rewarding myself with pie and ice cream for making it through the day without drinking is ok for now, for sure.....
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

heheh Pie and Ice cream... I want to try that...

Ooooh yeah, lots of hunger.

I might look that up today and find out why that actually happens! It's pretty interesting why we become so hungry after kicking an addiction, could it be the brain looking for another comfort? Or is it simply because our bodies have lacked good food at regular intervals for so long?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Hungry? Lets go eat up then!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thankyou alll Im trying to ealk as much too but mmm those chocy bars yummy Ill just enjoy them and worry later
take care all