Notices

Sober life = Me feeling very old (confused)

Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BKP

Question Sober life = Me feeling very old (confused)

2 months of being sober and I love and hate it. I don't know guys maybe it is because it is St. Patrick's day night and I am sober (which is awesome) or that i am turning 30 in 2 months or that spring is here and usually attend concerts and picnics, cookouts etc... I feel like just being alone for once. I actually feel fine, sober and alone. It is a scary strange thing at times. I work a different shift than my girlfriend so we really only see eachother 4 times a week and I have always been this way. I can see that I am very active at the gym going for years 4 times a week even when i was hungover, now i feel that I am where I want to be for myself but in other's eyes distant from everyone. Is this how you guys feel, felt? A little bummed and a Little excited about approaching my first sober summer.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

BPK, I will turn 30 in Aug. I have a wife, and 3 beautiful kids. I decided today, that my drinking days were over. 30 isnt old bro, it is just a number. Do you know how many bad things are going to probably happen to good people on this so called holiday? Be thankful you, I, and everyone else here had the sense to stay away from booze, and hopefully off the roads. If you are like me, a bunch of your drinking buddies have stopped calling you to get together. Who cares is what I say! If they can't deal with someone who has made the decision to better themselves by not drinking, then !@#$ them. You might also just be wanting to be by yourself a little because you are re-finding you. What you like to do other than being drunk. I know I am. Any way man, I know exactly what you are going through and so do a lot of people here. Keep posting and stay close.

BTW, GO CUSE!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BKP

Thanks for the feedback it really makes a huge impact on myself and others on this board.

syracuse fan....awesome!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm finding your words to be supportive. It's funny, regardless of the age, after a certain point we start feeling old. REGARDLESS OF THE AGE. My toughest birthday was my 20th, when I was no longer a teenager. That was over 3 decades ago and I can tell you I'm much happier now and much less concerned about age. 14 days sober and NOT LOOKING BACK!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

You know some mornings I wake up and I feel like an old man, but I just chalk that up as my body still adjusting to a new lifestyle change. But come on, I'm 29 going to be 30 in October and I don't feel old yet. My only big thing is I look back at all my 20's and wish I didn't **** em away by drinking. But hey 30 is still young and more then enough time to make up for any of the lost times of our 20's, heck even the 40's don't seem so bad since seeing some of my family getting closer or just celebrating it. SO CHIN UP! The days of trading baseball cards and playing with our G.I. Joes are long behind, and those awkward adolescent years of cracking voices and pimply faces are over as well, there's still alot of life and youth left in us! And I know for sure I'm one who's looking forward to spending my last few months of my 20's and all of my 30's and beyound being sober!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just turned 39 in January, and have been feeling "old" lately, even though I've been acting like I am 17 since I was about 17.

Anyway, now at 9 or 10 days sober (depending on if you count my "day 1" starting with the day I was ultra hungover), I have realized that by stopping my every-other-day drinking pattern I am doubling the time I have left to enjoy life. For me, I would be drunk one day, hung over the next, drunk again, hung over again, etc. I was living half my life in an alcoholic daze and half in hangover hell. I felt like I was "losing" every other day.

I do wish I could have 1988-2008 to do over again, but I can't. I'm really committed to quitting this time, so instead of being dead at 45 maybe I can enjoy the road to 80+, see my son (now 6) grow up, and keep my beautiful wife in my life along the way.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety guys!! I didn't quit until my fifties. All I can say is that if you are an alcoholic and remain sober life can be wonderful. If you need a reason not to drink I can give you a million reasons from my personal experience. If you have a family with children I can give you a kajillion kajillion reasons.

Keep going guys, trust me on this one!