Notices

Addictive Drinking

Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Actually, he has quite a bit of experience dealing with problem drinkers and alcoholics. He says that my profile is much different than theirs and perhaps saying that encourages my drinking is better said that he doesn't want me being so judgmental and hard on myself. I think thats a better way to put it. He knows me very well and knows my nature and that of my internal dialog. He says I am overdoing it and need to put rules around it. I got cocky with it, as I will tell him today, and will be happy to share is feedback.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Denial, I think. A bottle of hard liquor in just two days is excessive. If you don't know for sure, why not attend a meeting of your local AA? You might be able to talk to some people with a more realistic view of this problem and it will only take one hour of your time to attend. Alcoholism can and does kill people. It's nothing to play with.

If you have any further doubt, try experimenting with some controlled drinking. Try to only drink 1 or at the most, two drinks per day for a few weeks. If you can't do it, will you be able to admit you are in trouble? The only problem with this experiment is that it is dangerous.
KJ
Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

dude- you sound like me a while back. I could drink anyone under the table from 20-late 30s and kick butt at work the next day- tolerance i guess. I am 47 now- drinking since 20s close to your level- never got to liqour always beer and wine, and its finally got a grip on me as its affecting my work and family at times. I am struggling (big time) to quit. Everyone here can probably tell you that as 'good' at it now as you are- it will catch your ass and you will be in a hole you do not want to be in- you can believe that absolutely. Dont let it get you man- its very sneaky and PATIENT to grab you.
dub
Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

hey i would like to add i do at least 6 100 mile bike rides a year, and race twice, i exercise a lot and in good shape. i took my last drink sunday and almost had a heart attack tuesday (withdrawals/shakes/feint) and had to go to ER at hospital with crazy blood pressure- they had to defib my heart after 4hrs on the bed. unfortunately i relapsed last night but back in the saddle today with no drinks. no one is immune to this disease. just trying to help you - you seem like a great person and i dont want anyone to underestimate this disease.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jerry....

Many wise people decide that what they did at some point
in their lives is no longer a positive healthy action.

Why not abstain for 90 days and see how that works?
How long as it been since you did not drink alcohol
for 90 days?
You might find that beneficial ..and it certainly won't harm.

Best of luck...whatever you decide

Last edited by CarolD; 03-20-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-20-2009, 01:55 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I used to be able to go weeks without drinking and then binge. I didn't worry about it until I had kids to take care of. When it started to affect my family and I couldn't stop when I wanted to I knew it was a problem. I tested myself about two years ago and I was okay for awhile but not for long. My father became a full blown alcoholic at about my age. He is still drinking today and it makes his health problems worse. I want to live a fuller life than he did, I won't drink today.