Notices

Long nights.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long nights.

Hi all. I'll thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this.
I haven't had a drink since Feb. 2 of this year. Over the course of a couple weeks, the thought of drinking just...went away. For me--not drinking has been not a lot more than simply not doing it.
I know that some of you struggle with this terribly, and that every day is a very real battle for your lives. Please do not think I am being smug or over simplifying my sobriety. It is just how it goes for me.
My problem is at night. Sleeping. The first few weeks of sobriety were great. I think I was so mentally exhausted from the inner dialogue I carried on with myself, coupled with the fact my body was so toxic and ready to give in--that I just tipped over.
I certainly experienced the trembling, night sweats, and brutal insomnia that a lot associate with the detox process. But that lasted perhaps four or five days.
My trouble now is falling asleep again. Once I do--I am out until morning. But at times I can lay wide awake, at best until 2AM. (I often get in bed around 11PM-Midnight). At worst, it has been 5AM.
I lay awake and listen to my girlfriend and my dog sleeping soundly. Every ache and pain in my body--in the dark--I somehow convince myself it's cancer, or any other fatal disease. During the day, I am fine--function normally, do not obsess over soreness, "weird" feelings I feel in my body, that I am sure are quite normal. It is only at night.
I feel like a little kid with "living" night terrors. I think I am actually scared to fall asleep.
Looking back on my drunkeness...I can certainly see why drinking was on my daily to-do list. I passed out. I drank until I was full, and my brain and body were poisoned enough to need to fall over and "sleep".
I've tried OTC sleeping aids--failure--and I'm not wild about medications anyway--I've done quite enough damage to my liver on my own--recklessly.
Has anyone else struggled with/experienced this?
I have no desire to drink for the sake of drinking...I'm seriously contemplating it for the fact that I wouldn't have to think about falling asleep.
I won't drink. It is just my thoughts as they come out.
Thanks again. SR is so full of thoughtful, caring, and brilliant people.
Best.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I struggled with insomnia, night terrors, interrupted sleep, etc. for my first month of sobriety. Drinking wasn't a concern for me, but my mental well-being, my sanity, was something to be concerned about. After not sleeping for a few weeks I found myself spending the weekend in a mental hospital for psychiatric evaluations.

Have you talked to a doctor about this, or considered it? I found that taking a prescribed medication helped immensely, and restored my sleeping pattern in a short time. Please give some thought to seeking help.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI,

Anytime I have attempted to get sober, lack of sleep was definately the hardest to endure...All I can tell you is it does get better, easier... with each passing day...

Keep posting, you can do this...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have not talked to a doctor Astro.
It has been fairly recent this has happened.
You hit the nail on the head in a few lines: drinking isn't the concern. Seems my grip on my sanity is what is lacking. But only at night. As I sit here now, I'm clear-headed, focused, and feel fine. Thus--why it confuses me so that I turn into a five-year old with a monster under the bed in the dark.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My only experience with this was the first few nights after sobering up in which case tylenol pm helped me a great deal, although I can't stand the idea of any kind of medicine even when in need of it (and not sure why), but, as Astro suggested maybe it's something you could talk with your Physician about? It maybe an underlying problem causing the insomnia that you're not aware of. It wouldn't hurt to ask your physician some questions and figure out where to go from there. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. If there's something I may be able to do please feel free to PM me.
Wes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Please take a look at the sticky's in the Insomnia/Nightmares forum on SR Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information historyteach has posted some very useful information that might be of help to you.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Been there Wombat, its not fun but it does get better.

One of the things I did was just to stay up until I was really tired, watch tv, read a book, chill and relax, if your not careful you'll end up in the trap I did of not being able to sleep cos your worrying about not being able to sleep and how crazy is that !!!!!!

I don't lay awake if I can help it, get up and read for half an hour or something.

Hope it gets better for you, remember its better than drinking.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Sleep has been a problem for me too. I am either really trired or I can't sleep at all.
I have always heard that you should sleep 8 hours at the same time everyday so I am going to try that and see how it goes.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You might try Melatonin. It's natural, non-habit forming and can be bought over the counter. I use it when I have trouble falling asleep and it doesn't leave me feeling the least big groggy the next morning.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is completely normal! Some people get it worse than others, i had weird sleeping patterns for first 3 months of sobriety...suck it up it will get better honestly and is worth it to stay sober:-)

It sucks though along the way...wishing you a good night tonight!