Notices

Happy sober St Pattys Day!!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Happy sober St Pattys Day!!

I know this is a tough day to be sober.
Just hope everyone enjoys their corned beef and doesnt give to the temptaion of the green beer.
I myself am goin to pig out on corned beef and make a reuben or two.
Stay safe and be strong everyone. And dont forget to wear your green or risk gettin pinched!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I made a french bread pizza with green tomato sauce. Does that count?

I never realized st pat's day was a predominantly drinking holiday.

Last edited by klopper22; 03-17-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: becauseth I-eth wanted to-eth
Old 03-17-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

St Paddy's Day! Whoopdedoo! Catch that leprachaun, get his gold...to be sure, to be sure;-)
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I never realized st pat's day was a predominantly drinking holiday.

LOL Tonight the news will be full of alcohol related trouble. By the end of the week the rooms of A.A will fill up. Last year they talked on the radio for a week about cancelling the parade this year...there was that much trouble after the parade from drink brawls

Its a good day for a recovering alcoholic to go for a nice walk, then out for a meal, then a meeting. Im full of gratitude today, and glad to be free from the chains of alcohol. it is great fun for lots of people, the old traditional ways, social drinking, and music but Yesterday I was grocery shopping and the amount of young teenagers who were stocking up on alcohol was frightening, for them its only about drink and a great excuse...... but i hope to have a very happy paddy's day and wish you all the same!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

today i will not watch the news
today I will not glamorize drinking
today I will focus on my recovery
and upon loving those around me
in my corner of the universe

and I will not drink or smoke crack today....no matter what
Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just read Nelco lol yeah it's a drinking day, i'm english and we even use it as an excuse there too. Having irish friends i know it is a BIG day for them...i guess it is a big day in the US cos of all the Irish that moved over there, no?! Had a hardcore Irish friend who used to get wound up that anyone not Irish would be celebrating it, mind you Liam used to get wound up at anyone that wasn't irish full stop hehehe

Great post Nelco, bought back some fond and some not so fond memories;-)

Happy Sober St Patricks day everyone!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

Words of Wisdom: Remember, drinking green beer will more than likely cause you to have a greenish skincolor the next day . . . feeling like crap with your head hung over the porcelain god. Not my idea of fun anymore!

I'm going to have a busy day. Leaving soon to drop some papers off at the Courthouse downtown, then taking buses to the hospital where I will be meeting Mom. She's having the MRI this morning to hopefully tell us that the mass in her right lung is nothing to be concerned about. (Prayers please!)

From there, I am riding back to the Nursing Home with her in the ambulette where I will spend the afternoon with her. There will be a St. Patty's Day party which should be fun since the owners of the Nursing Home are Irish. Staff Members told me that they go all out for St. Patty's Day, more so than Christmas. Now if I can just get Mom out of her room to enjoy some of the festivities.

I'm wishing everyone a safe & sober St. Patty's Day. I realize for some, this is going to be a tough day, but just remember, SR will have plenty of people posting throughout the day and night. . . we're not a government office, so we never close! lol

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-17-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah St Patty's Day is huge in the states. Parades and parties everywhere. One of the biggest DUI days on the calendar in the USA, right up there with New Years Eve and Superbowl Sunday.

A great day to be sober.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not Irish, St. Patty's Day never been a big drinking day for me. Mostly falls during the week. Plus March is usually an uneventful month, easy to focus on the gym..
Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I used to really enjoy all the afternoon bar hopping and singing on St. Patty's Day. The "people watching" alone is worth it. The wife is Irish and we live near a very Irish city where there is an Irish bar on every corner. It used to be so fun to set out for a Guinness or two before noon, a bunch of Irish food, all that great music, and collecting pins from the various bars. What's great is I feel like I (we) can actually still do all that if I wanted to, just without the drinking. This St. Patty's day is different though and that's OK, that's not the plan this year. We have some St. Patty's Day stuff planned for tonight, but it involves shooting hoops on the parquet floor of the Boston Garden, not shooting shots at a local bar. Then dinner at an Irish restaurant.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm originally Irish, and I've never had a Green Beer! Oh well, I'll have to ask someone how it was! Don't suppose ill ever find out now...

Good!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

It's just green food coloring in the beer. No big deal really.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by original View Post
I'm originally Irish, and I've never had a Green Beer! Oh well, I'll have to ask someone how it was! Don't suppose ill ever find out now...

Good!
I make green mashed potatos for the kids and green milk. It's a huge hit at my house. Disgustingly colored food and not a green beer in sight.
Happy St Pat's Nice day for a parade.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm boiling some eggs to devil green gross really! lol!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Just say NO to green beer!!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Bah who needs beer today? Me personally I can fist fight better against those little sissy English boys sober rather then drunk!

I'm kidding of course!

Happy St. Pattys day! I'll just be eating some corn beef and cabbage and seeing if John Waynes the Quiet Man will be on today!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you call an Irishman an Englishman, you ARE spoiling for a fight!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont know about the rest of you. But I am goin to be prepared for those corned beef and cabbage gas clouds.