Notices

DUI Fees & State Programs: More harmful than Helpful?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI Fees & State Programs: More harmful than Helpful?

I hope this is in the right section.

After looking at the fees associated with a DUI Im very skeptical any of it is to help people. The punishment is not being able to drive for a time period. Bare with me here......

There is the strong possibility of:
Losing a job
Losing where you live
Losing your vehicle
Causing major family problems
Divorce

Then there are the BS fees: (ie legally stealing money)
$350 to the PD to allow the tow company to release your car
$250 to the tow company to GET your car
SR-22 Insurance ($2500 a YEAR for THREE YEARS)
Fees to APPLY for the SR-22 Insurance-- $250
Breathalyzer $500 install ----- $150 a month
Court Fines $1600 and up
Testing - $250 and up
Alcohol classes - $700 and up
Getting your license back---- $1500
Getting your driving privledge back --- $1000

Am I missing anything else?

Simply put, this whole thing is a money maker. I dont see anything to really HELP someone IF they have a drinking problem. The classes are a joke I hear so that wont help much.

It looks like the State is out to do harm to peoples lives. And maybe they ARE causeing more harm than good because of BS political issues. No politition will back down from making things worse for someone arrested for a DUI because of the pressure of MADD and other similar organizations. In fact Im betting the State greatly contributed to the dispair and depression of people convicted of DUIs. For a single person like myself that lives alone, this is a destruction of most every aspect of ones life. It is NOT helpful to the offender. Not that I can see.
Thank GOD I havent been convicted of a DUI.

But Im very surprised people arent committing suicide with the what the States hardship is putting on these people. How can they even survive financially? In my opinion folks should be able to at the VERY least drive to work every day.

Finally I strongly feel NONE of what the State is doing will stop or even help an alcoholic from drinking.

What are your opinions?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Giving some people a car with gas in it is like giving a loaded gun to a psychopath.

If people drink and drive, it means they simply don't have a conscience about what might happen. Why should they be any different from any other drunk that kills an innocent person commuting home from work to be with their family?

It is a fact that drunk driving kills people and if someone does it, i feel they should be stripped of their driving priveledges for a period.

Just think how much more of it (and innocent deaths) there would be if there werent harsh penalties.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a wreck would be way more expensive, and killing people.....????
A car is a privilege, not a right.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Both good points. And I agree.... BUT..... what about the fines????

Driving privledges should be taken away. But I feel NOT for work.
What about the folks that lost their job? That have nothing in the bank? And should someone have the same penalty with a BAC of .25 compared to a BAC of .1 or .08???

It sure doesnt look very fair.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheShallot View Post
Finally I strongly feel NONE of what the State is doing will stop or even help an alcoholic from drinking.

What are your opinions?
Uh, the state doesn't really care if you're an alcoholic or not, they do care if you drink and drive. Pretty simple, drink all you want, don't drive.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do have a lot of gripes with the way bureaucracy spends our money.
I also have a daughter in the courts system......I hear some sad things.
And, sigh, I do know more than one person whom the costs incurred cured them of ever drinking and driving again.
It is prohibitive, yes?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I think there are a lot of things they could do better, but I agree the state/gov. isn't out to help the addict or the alcoholic, they are out to make money.

It's too bad every auto. wasn't equipped with an automatic Breathalyzer.

I see what your saying, good post.

Your avatar is hiliarious, btw.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am sorry. But if someone wants to drink and drive. Hit em where it hurts. Their pocket.
All it takes is one time to drive drunk and kill someone. Imagine the loss that comes with that.
I dont feel one bit sorry for anyone who drinks and drives.
I do relize people make mistakes. But again it could have been a fatal one.
Should have thought about all that before they decided to drive drunk.
And I agree with john ...Its about driving. And possibly killing someone.
Sorry if thats harsh. But thats the reality of it.
Hope you learned your lesson. All that stuff can be replaced. A life can not.
I know too many people who have been killed by drunk drivers. Good people that were just goin about their lives. Forever changed by soemone elses misjudgement. Its sad. Its senseless and there is no excuse for it in my book.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
if drinking is something so darn important to anyone...
move to a city where you can take public transportation
and or walk.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done_With_It View Post
I agree the state/gov. isn't out to help the addict or the alcoholic, they are out to make money.
If you swim with the sharks, you'll get bit.

You are right though. If the gov't really cared about helping, they would outlaw tobacco. But they know people will pay more than they said they ever would for a pack of smokes, so the tax money rides shotgun and public health gets in the back seat.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

I had a DUI, took the course and because of the course never drove while drinking again so to say the courses do no good is completely false. It helped me realize that drinking and driving is totally unacceptable.
I think the fines are totally appropriate if not on the low side.
It is a known fact that drunk drivers are a risk on the roads so of course these should be reflected in the insurance rates.
The state/gov has to set up a court, pay the prosecutors, the police who arrest you, the judge, the clerks who handle the paper work etc.
I doubt the fine even covers this .
I think if you don't learn your lesson the first time you should lose your license for life on the second offence.
There is no excuse for drinking and driving and any thing that makes anyone think twice about it is worthwhile.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, I completely disagree with you.

You, in your car, could have killed someone or yourself.

How does that figure into the expenses and inconveniences that you're talking about?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just please do not drink and drive. The price paid for DWI is nothing compared to the cost to innocent victims and their families.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also have no problems with the fines and other penalties.. Driving drunk is down right dumb and dangerous.. Call a cab. I used to drink and drive (just a couple of weeks ago).. And I resent myself for that.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

And your point is???

All of us are aware it's against the law to drive while intoxicated.

The first thing we have to learn to do in this program is be responsible. I take full responsiblity for my b.s. no pointing fingers at anyone else.

I've had 3 kids all lost their lic. due to drinking this past year.
If, they were looking for sympathy, I told them to look elsewhere.

Our rights to drink stops when, we get behind the wheel. No innocent person should ever be killed or maimed on account of a drunk driver.

YouTube - DON'T DRINK & DRIVE *the Jacqueline Saburido Story.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The harsher the beter, in my book. Like John said, the State doesn't care if people are alcoholics, nor should they. I'll be the first to admit that I drove drunk a few times, I don't feel sorry for myself, I don't feel like I was some victim to a disease that kept me from making a better choice, I sure hope that I would have had to pay for such an idiotic and socially dangerous/potentially fatal thing to choose to do. I'm horrified at the thought of my choices, and yet again, so grateful to be sober and not worry about my end of things. I do still worry about other drivers.. of course.

Plus, it's not a social services intervention, it's criminal punishment.

I agree, hit em where it hurts, and where you're allowed to, $$. I have often thought that the penalties accrued from a DUI is on the light side if anything else. I also agree that every car should have a breathlyzer start, but oh well.. til then, I say the govt should take money as they can, and use it for programs and people seeking help, not drunks getting caught doing something illegal and potentially lethal.

Driving isn't a right.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

They could triple the fines as far as I'm concerned.

I was reading somewhere, in IL. there was talk of changing the plates for all DUI offenders.
Not sure, if this will get passed or not but, might make it easier for the police to keep an eye out for them on the road
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

When my son was an infant, a drunk driver hit us in Florida. We spun out of control and ended up in an embankment. Thank God we weren't killed. When the truck drivers stopped and went to the drunk drivers car, he was sleeping!!!!! Well, he had no insurance, we ended up paying for the damage to the rental car and we also got ticketed for not having my son in a car seat. The driver when we ended up filing for damages was no where to be found. YOU DO NOT HAVE MY SYMPATHY ON THIS ONE.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheShallot View Post
Both good points. And I agree.... BUT..... what about the fines????

Driving privledges should be taken away. But I feel NOT for work.
What about the folks that lost their job? That have nothing in the bank? And should someone have the same penalty with a BAC of .25 compared to a BAC of .1 or .08???

It sure doesnt look very fair.

pssst

You might not have heard, there's a new law called DUI. Drive hammered, get nailed.

I don't know your drinking history but, nothing worse then, whining about anything that happens cause of your drinking and driving.

If, you don't learn a lesson by all the hoops you go thru, you're an alcoholic. If, you don't seek treatment for your alcoholism, you'll keep getting more DUI's as well
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

And I have noticed sometimes that the drunk driver is always playing the victim role when caught driving drunk. What is that all about?
Life isnt fair? Whats not fair is drunk drivers killing innocent people alot of times children and walking away with hardly a scratch on them.
My aunts friend was hit by a drunk driver a couple years ago on her way home from work. He hit her broadside and rolled her upside down into a ditch. She was screaming for help and the guy left her there and she died. He could have saved her. But because he idnt want to get in trouble. He ran.
Thats whats not fair.
I know some staes make the DUI offenders go to the morgue and look at drunk driving victims dead bodies. Talk about shock treatment.
I havent seen any kind of remorse other than what might happen to you. Nothing about what could of happened to you or someone else had you hit someone or something.
That to me is scary.