Notices

Advice Re: Sponsors

Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Re: Sponsors

I am looking for advice on how to pick the right sponsor. It feels like dating somehow, like I am interviewing someone looking for certain things about them that I can connect with.

I had a slip after 60 days in the program. I drank some wine while visiting my dad in Florida. I was down there for a court date (my son's father still owes over 6,000 in arrears) and I just could not handle the stress; or rather I decided to have a drink to deal with the stress.

I felt so bad upon returning to Atlanta that I walked into the first meeting I could find and decided to pick a sponsor. The first person I picked is pretty inactive as far as working the steps or working anyting really. I just check in with her every night. There is another woman at another meeting who works homework with the people she sponsors however you can never get her on the phone.

How do you find the right sponsor and what do you do once you find one?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

once I found one I listened and did what he said.
finding one was a easy choice for me,he made a lot of meetings and was a big book guy.
the hard part was asking him
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please look on the literature rack...most meeting have
the official AA guidelines ...
"Questions and Answers on Sponsorship"

I then suggest you attend BB studies and or 12&12 meetings.
See who appears serene ...go sit next to her.
"Hi... I'm ----, and I need help please"

Hope this helps...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Humbled101

I am very new in recovery again after 6 yrs clean and sober actualy kind of afraid of a live meeting at this point so I was glad to find you guys)
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Humbled101

I certainly need to find a sponser and am planning to attend some womens grps this week hopefully:praying
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Humbled101

Please forgive my terrible typing seems I lost a little eyesight in my old age lol
Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Humbled101

I am considering a christian based 12 step program at a local church any opinions on this subject?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Humbled101

Hello..... Anyone here?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Humbled101.....

Good to see you here with us
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I am considering a Christian based 12 step program at a local church any opinions on this subject?

I have never been to one but I know several people who got sober and stayed sober thru one.Give it a try and see how it goes.You never know untill you try.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

There is another woman at another meeting who works homework with the people she sponsors however you can never get her on the phone.
Had this experience when I came into recovery first, it was of no use or help to me. I found someone who seemed happy and content in their lives. someone who walks the walks, rather that talks the talk.

I am considering a Christian based 12 step program at a local church any opinions on this subject?
Hello Humbled101, its very nice to meet you. I have heard of this but I have no experience with it. I go to A.A and find it covers all my needs.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. I struggle with this because I want to have some guidence working through the steps. I work best when I have some sort of direction. I like to be held accountable.
I feel like I want to work this program and I really want someone who is active; I hope that makes sense.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My first Sponsor attended one meeting per week. It was very difficult to get any face to face time. I was afraid to change Sponsors as I thought I would be looked down upon. I complete the steps and made the best of it but felt that I was spinning my wheels all the time. I later wound up getting another Sponsor who attends meetings on a very regular basis and is very willing to spend time with his Sponsees. I wound up working all the steps again with my new Sponsor and it was great.

Looking back I wish that I would have changed early on. The difference was night and day and everyone would have understood.

It's your sobriety, mental health and life.