Notices

Help

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Help

I can't continue going on like this. This has to be my last day 1 and this detox is not doing so well. Advice on how to get through this one? I am shaking, crying, getting chills and been sick a few times. My brand new baby boy comes home today after being in the Nicu for 10 days. I feel like the biggest pile of !@#$ for being like this today and not at my best for this day. I dont even know what else to say.....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can get yourself together for your son's homecoming.

If you are having problems with the detox, the best and safe thing to do, is to call your dr or go to the ER.

Please take care of yourself.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I have a grandson just 10 weeks old and I've been drunk most of his life. This sucks. I hate it. I want to stop. I don't want to ever pick up a drink again. But I have said that in the past and I still do. I don't want to live like this. I have definitely hit rock bottom. But people have stopped. I've got to do what they do so that I can get myself back on track. I am so scared that I won't succeed and that death will come sooner then I expect. We have got to associate with people that can help us. We can do this. We just need support. I understand everything you are going through.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal, please go see the Dr. or even the ER if you are not feeling well. Alcohol withdrawals are actually several times more deadly than cocaine, heroine or other opiates.

Wapedia - Wiki: Alcohol withdrawal syndrome
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I remember my last night using and I remember calling out to God, please help me. I didn't know the time but I had finally surrendered. God did for me what I could not do for myself. I couldn't stop drinking and drugging for even 1 hr. I am now almost 6 mths sober. Keep posting, don't drink just for today, then tomorrow if you haven't picked up, try not to drink one day at a time. I will pray that you find your way. God bless you.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

you must take care of you if you want to be there for your son..
I would advise that you call your doctor or go to the ER...if you feel that you aren't able to manage the detox on your own..
congratulations on your new son!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please go over to our Alcoholism Forum
the 1st sticky post has info and
some of our experiences with detoxing.

You may need a doctor or an ER
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I am starting to feel a little bit better just by posting here. I will be back on here daily. I missed my friends on here who are always here to help. Just need to get through today.....
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you and your sweet new baby deserve the care you need, c23.

hugs, k
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too advise medical supervision during detox, as it can be dangerous besides very annoying. Drinking lots of water and juice can help flush out the alcohol. B vitamins are also very good. Chamomile tea can help to calm the anxiety and milk thistle is good for detoxing the liver.

Just don't drink today. Take it one day at a time. Once you get thru the first few days of detox you can start to feel better and stronger in your sobriety. You CAN do this!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have someone who can help with your baby?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't add much more--my first few days were awful.
For the feeling of not being able to even sit in my own skin, I took my dog on as long of a walk as I could stand. Sometimes that was a half-hour. Sometimes it was 5 minutes. But I was moving--and honestly broke it down inside my brain into: "One foot after the other".
It certainly didn't "cure" anything--but for those few minutes my focus was on one foot after the other rather than the anxiety of what my body was going through.
Water, lots of water.
I am sure it is hard to think this way because of the mental/physical war your body is fighting with itself--but the decision to not drink is the best thing you can do for it--and for everyone who loves you. Take care, and lean on SR for what ever comfort you find here. I know I did, and do.
Best, and thinking of you.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

I don't want to beat a dead horse but the doctor idea is a good one. I remember back in January C23. I think we either arrived here on the same day or pretty close. I actually put a shout out to you this morning in class. Everyone misses you there.
Be kind to yourself. You can do it this time.